Recovery Runs: the hair of the dog that bit you?

Nick, you've had feet issues too. Do you find recovery runs help or hinder the healing?
Lee, with my pf I seem to feel better when I run 5 days straight as I noted up above. Now, though having taken 3 days off straight and on my 4th day I am having my second decent day in a row. Typically though, if I don't do a short run in between my hard runs I tend to hurt much more. Not sure why that is exactly... My biggest problem is keeping that recovery run slow. I have a hard time keeping my pace slow as my legs(not my mind) seem to want me to go faster.

I've become so injury averse that I've taken up a "when in doubt, rest" philosophy.
I'm getting there, I'm getting there. I'm still mad at myself for this latest bout of excessive exuberance. Still feeling my left foot. Might have to rest at least another week. Oh what I would do to have my 15 miles per week back again. I got too greedy, wanted 25 mpw, and now I got zero.

Lee, with my pf I seem to feel better when I run 5 days straight as I noted up above. Now, though having taken 3 days off straight and on my 4th day I am having my second decent day in a row. Typically though, if I don't do a short run in between my hard runs I tend to hurt much more. Not sure why that is exactly... My biggest problem is keeping that recovery run slow. I have a hard time keeping my pace slow as my legs(not my mind) seem to want me to go faster.
Interesting Nick. It's hard figuring out these injuries. Sometimes it seems you can rest too much.

The only thing I've been doing that I consider "recovery runs" is after a fairly hard race I'll just take the next run a bit easier. Most of my regular runs are consciously easier than I'm capable of, as I've been following the Maf philosophy without going so far as to actually get a HR monitor. Just this week, though, I have begun to integrate tempo sections into my runs wherin I step up the pace for a distance, slow to a rest for a short interval of 90 seconds or so, and then do another fast section. Yesterday I ran hard for about 1/2 a mile 2 times, which was the first time I've done that in 30 years or more. For my less stressful hard runs I just do hills, which on my favourite runs can go up 400 feet in 2 miles. Eventually I hope to get the fast tempo sections to be like 15 minutes x2 with a brief breather in between. My goal is to get my 10 and 13.1 mile race pace down below 7 m/m, down from the high 7:40's where it is now.
Compared to some of the other posters above I'm a lazy slug, no doubt, as I only run every other day, 20 to 30 miles a week. I'm happy with the results and don't mind keeping it gentle on my bod.

Man, do I feel like a chump now.
But seriously, impressive mileage! Do you run competitively? Do you know if a lot of people who run doubles use one of those runs as the recovery run?
A chump you are not.

I to occasionally double up my runs as well, the later usually taking the dog out so it is a combination of run very fast, quick stop, sniff, pee over previously pee'ed on area, run very fast, repeat, repeat, repeat (and yes it is the dog that does the sniff, pee steps). ;)

Compared to some of the other posters above I'm a lazy slug, no doubt, as I only run every other day, 20 to 30 miles a week. I'm happy with the results and don't mind keeping it gentle on my bod.
25-30 miles a week is my goal! Sounds like you have a nice routine that works for you, and 7-8mm pace is pretty good for older guys like us. I will be very happy when I can consistently run 8mm. Anything below that will be gravy. Thanks for the feedback.

A chump you are not.

I to occasionally double up my runs as well, the later usually taking the dog out so it is a combination of run very fast, quick stop, sniff, pee over previously pee'ed on area, run very fast, repeat, repeat, repeat (and yes it is the dog that does the sniff, pee steps). ;)
Thanks, it's just hard accepting these new limitations sometimes. Especially when I hear about frequent flyers like you. Just gotta be patient . . .
Thanks for the feedback in any case.

Reactions: NickW
My rowing kind of counts as recovery on this account, but unlike the stairmaster, the muscles it works are different, so it's really more cross-training. Still, I think it's good to do something aerobic everyday.
I picked up a Stairmaster off Craiglist for a great price, so I figured why not use it? Plus, I got outrun by a shoddie on the recovery day. I was on the last couple of miles of a 6 miler, and he had just run out of his house. Not cool.

When I was running 5 days a week, I'd feel restless on my off days. Now every other day seems to be fine, but I still get sore from hitting the weights. Not sure how I'd feel, if I just took a day completely off.

On the other hand, I'm faster now. My pace has picked up, since alternating muscle groups every 2 days. Maybe the rest has done me some good!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Man, do I feel like a chump now.
But seriously, impressive mileage! Do you run competitively? Do you know if a lot of people who run doubles use one of those runs as the recovery run?

Chump? why is that, I am hampered by being naturally slow, so if i want to run faster than someone else i have to do twice as much work.... (actually i just play to my strength and focus on aerobic conditioning)...

From what i gather if your doing doubles then at least one of those runs is going to be either easy or recovery paced. Trying to do two key workouts on the same day sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I guess im lucky(?) that i get to run at a variety of paces, faster when training alone, slower when running with friends, so i dont have too much difficulty running my recovery jogs at a proper recovery pace... just did one this morning, 3-4 miles at 10min/mile (cMP = 7min/mile)

On the other hand, I'm faster now. My pace has picked up, since alternating muscle groups every 2 days. Maybe the rest has done me some good!

Same here

Sid and Dama, that's good to hear. I think sometimes I'm messing too much with something that has proven to work for me in the past (one day run an hour, one day weights an hour, repeat), all in the service of greater mileage. Someone slap me already.

SLAP,SLAP, SLAP!!!

I think sometimes I'm messing too much with something that has proven to work for me in the past (one day run an hour, one day weights an hour, repeat), all in the service of greater mileage. Someone slap me already.
SLAP, SLAP!
So, in the 3 weeks since doing your method above, I've dropped my 6mi pace down to 8:25 and my 5k time to 23:40, and gained some muscle, too. Before, I was solely running (jogging) and had more mileage, but my times were far slower. Apparently, I wasn't getting enough rest. I feel in better shape now than before. Of course, people's bodies vary and their personal goals differ. Also, I'm at my target weight, so that does allow more flexibility.

Stairmaster today. Probably will be doing more of it this week, with Isaac coming for FL.

SLAP, SLAP!
So, in the 3 weeks since doing your method above, I've dropped my 6mi pace down to 8:25 and my 5k time to 23:40, and gained some muscle, too. Before, I was solely running (jogging) and had more mileage, but my times were far slower. Apparently, I wasn't getting enough rest. I feel in better shape now than before. Of course, people's bodies vary and their personal goals differ. Also, I'm at my target weight, so that does allow more flexibility.

Stairmaster today. Probably will be doing more of it this week, with Isaac coming for FL.
That's great to hear Sid! (Although it kills me to hear it.) My foot still feels funny, so more rest for me--I'm focusing on my weights right now, and going to make more of an effort to hit the exercise routine first thing in the morning, as I know that is also key for me in attaining my goals. Overall, still feeling dumb, dumb, dumb, and very, very restless. I ran a bit out in the street with my daughter, and man did that feel good. I can just feel it in my body, it's true, I'm a runner now, I just have to get my left foot to cooperate. Best thing is my daughter has taken off her shoes twice now while shopping with us, much to her Mom's consternation, and says she wants to be a barefoot runner too.

Reactions: Sid
Funny like a clown? Does your foot amuse you?

Sorry, any chance for a Goodfellas/Joe Pesci moment. Anyway...I am a firm believer in the recovery run. Mine are usually shorter, and slow, just to get the blood flowing in my legs and flush things out. Fifty percent of the time, it works every time.

Would you say even just a mile or less on off days can be effective?
For me, yep. Mine is usually 2 miles, just because that's the 'easy loop' I have around my house. It's fairly flat and smooth so that prior hills or hard efforts don't get aggravated. I think a mile would do just as well. It's about the movement, not the time, in my opinion. But what do I know?

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon