Race and bruises

LeeJo

Barefooters
Aug 27, 2011
I plan to run my first half marathon this weekend. My hubby wants me to wear my VFF's because he is afraid of biohazard (spit). Is this legit? I don't want to be slipping and sliding through sputum either way, but I do prefer to avoid it in bare feet at least. (the only race I have run thus far is the naked foot 5k.)

On a totally different subject, I keep getting acorn bruises on the bottom of my feet. They are under the leaves and I often strike on them, they roll to my arch and OUCH!

Unfortunately,

Unfortunately, runners spitting is fairly common at least from what I have seen. But there been enough to be concerned about running through is a bit of a stretch. I have done a number of races and have never had a problem, if you see it just avoid it. Though I have seen one guy turn to spit and he ended up hitting somebody with it, not my idea of a fun time.

The acorns as well are going to happen, I've got some good bruises myself, I know some people who try to avoid the leaves but that can be hard if the entire trail is littered with them. My only advise is to step lightly and carefully through suspect areas.

Good luck on your half marathon.

If spit on the ground is at

If spit on the ground is at the top of your list of concerns, you're truly blessed! I think BF Bob is more on track - you might more likely get it from the side than stepping on it. If you would prefer to use the VFF's, go ahead. They're not against the rules. I use mine if I don't know and trust the race terrain deeply.

As for the acorns, I know what you mean. I'm mostly past the point of worrying about them, but every once in a while I hit one just wrong and that little point embeds in a crack in my pads or something. Yikes! I've come to hate hickory nuts especially much lately, and the squirrels that gnaw on them and leave shards lying on the path. They draw blood!

Have a great race!

Spit? Is that the best he can

Spit? Is that the best he can come up with? He's really afraid of being seen as not one of the herd. He doesn't want to hear "oh your wife is the weird barefoot lady. Did they let her out of the home for the race?" So he is pretending to care about spit. Go barefoot and while you're at it put on a viking hat and a tootoo. That will break him of his fear.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7