R2R2R

Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ said:
NotSoDoomedRunner said:
And I have no idea what PBR is.

Geez, I don't even drink beer, and I knew what that was! Just teasing you!

LOL. And I have never had Boon's Farm!

Don't feel bad, I'm 34 and

Don't feel bad, I'm 34 and never had Boones Farm either until a couple years ago. We always drank MD 20/20 when I was a kid, uck!

And yes Abide, PBR is every bit as bad as the natty light! Lol! I've been spoiled though with all the microbrews here and I don't think I can go back to the cheap stuff.

I always drank at least okay

I always drank at least okay beer. In college I brought a 12 pack of Shiner to a party and all they had was Keystone Light. I had already "warmed up" so I saw this and thought the only answer was to chug all 12 as fast as I could. Then I was gonna drive home but luckily ran into a fence (on my feet) at full speed and a friend got my keys. Anyhow. Bad beer... no.

I just saw that Team Ultra is

I just saw that Team Ultra is putting one together on May 11th. I believe they have all done it before.

I told my wife about the idea and she just responded that she asked me to go there in 2006 when I got home from Iraq and I said "why would I want to go see a big hole?" lol

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote:I

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
I just saw that Team Ultra is putting one together on May 11th. I believe they have all done it before.

I told my wife about the idea and she just responded that she asked me to go there in 2006 when I got home from Iraq and I said "why would I want to go see a big hole?" lol
It will be tough to swing this without the whole family wanting to get in on the fun. It will have to be a there, run, and come home trip and then I'll have to send my wife on a spa trip at some other time. I think this would be a killer good time!

What about a year from May or

What about a year from May or a year from September? Provided we don't figure out we all hate each other at RRUM. Jason, you know you want to join.

Ok it looks like Aug 17-19 is

Ok it looks like Aug 17-19 is the weekend for me. I'm going up in early/mid June to give it a go as well. To hell with the heat, I'll be pretty acclimated by then. It should be in the low 90s at the bottom and 70s at the top during the day. The plan is to start at 4am on Saturday. Any takers?

I think after talking to my

I think after talking to my boss I am on black out of committing to anything from August2012-earlyMay 2013. Plus that heat is going to be nuts! But good luck!

I did the North Rim to South

I did the North Rim to South Rim in October. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I did it as a hike, not a run, mostly to enjoy the experience more. Plus, my knee was still sore from a marathon two weeks earlier. The Grand Canyon is not a place to enter with sore knees, but I still had a great time.

The weather was perfect. Not too cold on the North Rim, and not too hot at the bottom or on the hike up. In October, there is more shade on the South side.

I would strongly recommend doing a rim to rim, or a rim to river to rim, before trying the R2R2R. Also, try to go with someone that has done this before. The friend I went with has done the R2R six times and R2R2R once. He took care of all the details. I had done research before the hike, but didn't have a clue about things until actually hiking in the canyon.

I hope to do one more R2R in the spring, and hopefully complete a R2R2R in the fall.

If you do this, treat yourself to some good beer at the end. I don't mind PBR and I would rank it above Natural, Busch, Bud Light, and Miller.

NotSoDoomedRunner wrote:What

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
What about a year from May or a year from September? Provided we don't figure out we all hate each other at RRUM. Jason, you know you want to join.
So May 2013? That would give me plenty of time to work out details. That would kick off a crazy summer since I want to do Vol State that summer.

Yeah. I think our session

Yeah. I think our session should end around May 4th or so.I'll double check. So that would mean around May 15th. After 6 months of 100 + hours of overtime, I will love getting out.

I would consider something

I would consider something like this. Best time of the year to run is Feb/March or Oct/November. North rim will be about 40-45 degrees, South rim around 60-70 degrees and the canyon should be about 80 degrees.

theshortwhiteguy wrote:I

theshortwhiteguy said:
I would consider something like this. Best time of the year to run is Feb/March or Oct/November. North rim will be about 40-45 degrees, South rim around 60-70 degrees and the canyon should be about 80 degrees.

Come on then! We need to keep this rolling and make it a huge BRS Fat Ass R2R2R.

I keep hearing different

I keep hearing different stories. A guy that ran it and had a decent detail about it had the May or September thing. That makes sense to me. There probably is not a perfect temperature time. I realized today my wife hopes to be 8 months pregnant in May 2013. So all the better for me!

I would like to be in on

I would like to be in on this. As for timing, May sounds perfect. Anything before late April you will have snow and ice on the trail. Most of the ultra runners that go for fast times go in the late fall because there are less people and fewer mules on the trails. When I went on October 15, the trail was packed and the runners were slowed down by all of us hikers. If you want the fewest people on the trail, the key dates are when the North Rim opens in the spring and closes in the fall.

Dave Crockett has a good blog about some of his R2R2R runs and other Grand Canyon options.

That's in a year and a half,

That's in a year and a half, way too far out for me to even think about, less commit. Your on your own boys.

I'll pass along any tips and advice after I get my ass handed to me by the GC this year.

As for the mules I'm thinking about staying away from the mule piss route err Bright Angel trail, and running the S kaibab up and down. The only problem is there is no water after the river. hmmmm. Guess I could just play it by ear.

rickwhitelaw wrote:Dave

rickwhitelaw said:
Dave Crockett has a good blog about some of his R2R2R runs and other Grand Canyon options.

Thanks dude this guy is an awesome resource. I should have introduced myself to him at ATY.

Anyway this one looks like fun for a prep run, close to the same mileage and only half the vertical.

bouchermap.jpg

Who is this Dave Crockett? 

Who is this Dave Crockett? Is he related to Davy Crockett? If so, so am I. Maybe we're related...distance-wise.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7