Q on foot arch (I'm new and keen to learn!)

Pigwig

Barefooters
Aug 17, 2013
Hi. A well meaning friend has declared that "our" (he means Western) foot arches are different from African runners and it's something I should be aware of and compensate for when running barefoot style (I have 6mm Xero's) By compensate, I'm not sure if this means doing certain exercises, or by not running as far or as often unless in shoes (yikes!). This info was passed on by a third party so I wasn't able to ask them to elaborate, such as where the info came from.
I have read up on so much information on BF and whilst I couldn't possibly claim to remember it all, I'm certain I've never heard of this before. Apparently, as Africans have flat (or flatter) feet than us, this allows them to run long distance BF, and also explains why their trainers (I'm assuming my friend means in athletics) differ from ours (again, this info has come from my friend).
Just wondered if anyone has heard of this before and can shed some light on this – is it true, can it be disproved? I'm all ready with my list of reasons why BF is good for you, all my counter arguments, but hadn't reckoned on this statement!
Basically what this person is saying is 'warning, be careful" but I don't know what to be careful of!

And then just yesterday my husband said that since I've been wearing huaraches I've started walking funny! I must admit to trying out different walking styles because my usual gait of longish stride followed by heel strike (and I'm heavy footed as a general rule) was hurting my heels. So I've experimented and I seem to favour a smaller, quicker stride with flat foot landing. I guess it does look a bit "geisha-like". Now though I'm wondering if this is wrong!
Love to hear your thoughts and opinions on both points...
Cheers

First off I have no clue about the arch question. Now walking I prefer the shorter stride with a flat foot landing, heel strike even when walking hurts me. I really think it's a matter of preference though. If I wear shoes (actual cushioned shoes) it feels more natural to heel strike, but barefoot or minshoes it's the flat footed landing. I seem to recall reading somewhere about an African man who said we westerners walked funny and had an unnatural gait, which he had hypothesized was part of why we were not as good of runners as the African runners. Something about we had lost our natural rhythm or something like that. I wish I could remember where I had read this because I would love to link it for everyone.

Reactions: Hobbit
When I walk I heel strike mostly but sometimes midfoot strike...not anything to think about really. I have high arches but don't think that matters for anyone else with lower arches we just have what we are born with and still do the same things...your body adapts to the activity regardless...its a non issue.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
I call BS on Africans having different arches, but I'd say I walk differently now that I'm barefoot a lot. Which is a good thing. What you'll notice is your feet will change shape. Mine got wider from the ball to the pinky toe, and narrower around the arch. Which may be what your African friend is referring to: I've read that many african runners train barefoot from a young age, so their foot muscles are more developed.

I have read that a Kenyan kid will have run 18,000 miles before he ever shows up at a higher level training camp or a big race. They run everywhere and mostly barefoot. I would be astounded to learn that their feet have the same wimpy structure as yours or mine. However, with time and effort, as John wrote, our feet will develop some of the robustness that characterize the African runners'.

of course not. everyone has their own bones. ;)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts