People's reactions when you run

Was running around the ponds this morning when I encountered a large group of 1-2 graders on field trip. There were the usual comments: "Look! She has bare feet!", but my favorite was not quite barefoot related. One little girl said with quiet conviction, "Look at her go!" Must be a budding runner.:barefoot:

I was enjoying the beautiful day and doing an easy three miles, when I heard this really loud voice from behind say "HEY TOUGH GUY, YOU DA MAN!" A fit looking man zipped by on his bicycle, I just had time to wave. It made my day.

There's an army base near us and we often get these army lads down at the beach and country park where I run, down with their wives/girlfriends. The thing with those guys is they aren't shy of a smart comment. You can spot them a mile off, huge guys plenty of tats.
I had double incident on Saturday past with one guy. He saw me on my run out to Bangor and simply laughed and shouted "Where's your shoes mate??" I just laughed it off and kept going but in the way back I passed him again sitting on the beach with his wife, and he says "Are you still looking for your slippers??"
There wasn't much I could say to that! I just said "Yeah, I've been running up and down here all day lookin for them. Can't find em anywhere!" and ran on slightly ashamed I couldn't think of anything wittier. Lol.

There's an army base near us and we often get these army lads down at the beach and country park where I run, down with their wives/girlfriends. The thing with those guys is they aren't shy of a smart comment. You can spot them a mile off, huge guys plenty of tats.
I had double incident on Saturday past with one guy. He saw me on my run out to Bangor and simply laughed and shouted "Where's your shoes mate??" I just laughed it off and kept going but in the way back I passed him again sitting on the beach with his wife, and he says "Are you still looking for your slippers??"
There wasn't much I could say to that! I just said "Yeah, I've been running up and down here all day lookin for them. Can't find em anywhere!" and ran on slightly ashamed I couldn't think of anything wittier. Lol.

You should have say-"no I am having way too much fun running barefoot to bother with slippers".

Reactions: Darkand
I had my first comment last night. I was out for a run in my Luna's and a guy passed me going the other way and did a bit of a double-take as he looked at my feet but continued without saying anything. About 10 minutes later he caught me back up and said he was intrigued and was it OK to ask me some questions.

I said sure, so we ran along for a few minutes as I told him a bit about barefoot/natural running and having decent form etc. He asked if it was hard/painful and I just said it took a little while to get used to but once you do it's fantastic. He said he hadn't heard of barefoot running but said he'd Google it and Luna sandals when he got home.

Then he disappeared off into the distance going twice as fast as me, I'm not sure he was convinced! :D

so friday i did my trail long run after having a group "workout" session. halfway through i stopped to work out my legs after finishing close to a mile downhill run. this group of i'll say elders, not all seniors but approaching. they showed a lot of concern over me. i had some fun.

"are you ok?"
me-physically yes, mentally that's questionable.
laughter

"did you break any bones?"
me-no. never broken anything. never a broken bone, just a broken spirit.
laughter

"we can carry you down if you need it"
me-no thanks i'm just working out my legs before i go back. it's not my first time here.
laughter

"you only have yourself to blame then if you get hurt"
me-i know that. i always blame myself
laughter

so sad. they showed some serious concern. why is that? i was just rubbing my legs and catching my breath. they looked to be in shock. i'm sure it's cuz i was shirtless and shoeless. one good thing i found out. sweat keeps mosquitoes from landing on you.

I get a whole variety of comments, a mixture of supportive, positive, negative and downright hostile. Even the negative and hostile comments from adults don't really bother me anymore.

What does bother me is when I hear young children expressing surprise, horror or concern that I have no shoes on. Some quiz there parents in near historical tones about why I don't have shoes on. I never get to hear the parent's responses because I'm too far away by the time they react.

I guess the reason it bothers me is that it seems sad that a young child should be so horrified by the sight of someone running without shoes. I just wonder what kind of nonsense their parents have filled their heads with.

I've gotten a mix of responses, mostly positive. There are the ones who stare and shake their heads but there are a lot more thumbs up and "way to go, that's hardcore"-type comments. A few people have asked to look at the bottoms of my feet.

Reactions: happysongbird
Well my friends I'm sad to report that tonight after receiving an almost standing ovation for running barefoot it was brought to my attention by some shod teenagers on summer break that..... "You're gonna get a rock in your foot!" So now that this has been brought to my attention I must stop running barefoot, walking barefoot and doing everything barefoot for fear of getting a rock in my foot.

A "ROCK" that is all they could come up with......... had I not been turning the corner and just dumbfounded by their brilliance I would have replied, "better than a foot in the a$$" but truly I was speechless. I mean a rock in the foot, WTF was I thinking. So glad this has been brought to my attention.

Early on in my run which lasted 5.6 miles I did receive an almost standing ovation for running barefoot. I truly thing the person that shouted "A BAREFOOT RUNNER, WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!" would have fallen flat on her face had she been able to stand. I gave her a hang-loose wave and carried on.

Close to the end of the run, I got a "Run Forest, run"......

I am still dumbfounded by the who rock in my foot. I was immediately dumbfounded, so much so I went in search of some "Rock" to see if I could get one in my foot........ Nope, didn't happen. I had a pebble or two hangout for a few steps but no rock in the foot.

I haven't had many comments yet...only a "Barefoot huh?" and me replying with "Yep!". The only thing I really get are long stares especially from people driving by. It's actually funny. They are driving along, spot me running barefoot, and it happens...they slow way down almost stopping till I pass them then they take off. I live in an "athletic" neighborhood so I think pretty much anything goes.

yep. massive amounts of sweat. i watched them land and take off like they were grossed out. whatever. i was halfway through my run when i stopped and they were making test landings on me.

when i finished i rolled my legs on my water bottle in the park. this man walked his little girls to the water fountain. i had passed them while running. he was in shock that i ran.
"you run the whole thing?"
yup.
"did you build up to it?"
yup
you must have strong feet. mine are weak from being in shoes
yup
"i could never do that'
course you can. god is a better engineer than man
"yeah. but i can't even walk bf in the house. hurts."
bye

Support Your Club

Forum statistics