People's reactions when you run

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by mandytheartist, Apr 9, 2012.

1. happysongbird

happysongbird
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

Very belated reaction, technically. I went into a small business here in town this morning directly after my morning run. Was still barefoot and actually wearing close to the same outfit that I wore for the half marathon in May. As I was checking out, the young lady clerk asked, "Are you the person I see running races barefoot!?" We figured out that she had most recently seen me during the May race, while she was running the marathon. Then she tentatively said, "Do you mind if I ask you why?" And we proceeded to have a great little discussion. She wanted my blog site, and I told her my youngest daughters also run barefoot and would love to talk to her. She is close to their age. She seems very interested!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    dharmadan, Tedlet, Larry and 5 others like this.
  2. paraganek

paraganek
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

"Savage !"
    I hear when running on a busy downtown riverfront on Friday night.
    That is a first one so I think I should take it as a compliment ;)

3. JZend

JZend
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. Brasília -...

Interesting

In my country we have a lot of social inequality. Rich and poor share the same collective space.

In these six months of running barefoot I have seen two different people's reactions.

The richest usually react in a similar way to those shown here in this thread. Scare guys, seem to suppress comments or somehow say I'm crazy. I think you know what I mean. ;)

The most poor, on the other hand, sometimes react differently, with words of encouragement. Yesterday a young man in a very old car, falling apart as we say here, shouted a "Aííí, menino" ("Aeeee, boy") to me.

dharmadan, happysongbird and Sly like this.
  4. Sly

Sly
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Portugal

that's interesting JZend,
    we dont hear so much about / from Brazil here on the BRS

5. gueng

gueng
    Expand Collapse
    1. Germany &...

This morning I was running out of a small town into the fields on a paved bicycle lane. A couple on bikes (probably tourists) passed me slowly from behind, and the man - pointing towards my naked feet - asked: "Does this have to do with atonement?" I answered: "No, but it has a lot to do with health." He said:"Ah, I see."
    We wished each other a pleasant tour and departed form each other.

6. cloudchsr

cloudchsr
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Japan

I travel for work, often in Asia. I get lots of curious looks, despite the cultural inhibitions against staring at people. Most often, people titter and exclaim in various languages after I've passed. One notable exception: a Japanese policeman pointed and called out that I was very strong as I ran past. Huge compliment in a shy society.

7. Mike UK

Mike UK
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

Got my first reaction today... walked past a group of older ladies walking their dogs as I was walking warming up, then ran past them again later... one shouted "Oh you're too much!" :playful:

dharmadan and happysongbird like this.
  8. DNEchris

DNEchris
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Washington

I was walking to the Dentist's this morning, dressed business casual, when I was passed by a group of runners I see a few times a month and was greeted by this:
    "Now you wear shoes!"

9. Mike UK

Mike UK
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

This morning I guy I sometimes see walking around the block near me says "That's the way it's going now isn't it - barefoot!".
    Then later I passed him again and he jumped off the sidewalk onto the road and said "You need the sidewalk more than me!" I said "Makes no difference to me!"
    Next time I'm gona tell him to try taking off his shoes for one of his morning walks.

dharmadan, dutchie53, Tedlet and 2 others like this.
  10. paraganek

paraganek
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

Best answer ever ! :)

dharmadan, happysongbird and Mike UK like this.
  11. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

A lady wearing her nice Sunday outfit appeared to be taking a stroll as I approached her during my run this morning along Lakeshore. She smiled and I smiled back. She looked down and saw my bare foot and exclaimed gently, "wow! Oh wow! Um.. Bare feet! Wow!" I didn't know what to say nor did I have much time for clever rejoinder. I just turned a bit towards her and said "try it" as I ran off. Thinking back to my transition, I wished I had a pamphlet about "how to" try barefoot running so that she didn't hurt herself if she did try it!

happysongbird likes this.
  12. happysongbird

happysongbird
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

I had been going around my .936 mile pond loop a couple times, when a dad and young daughter showed up running together in the opposite direction. She was probably 8-9, wearing clunky pink "running" shoes, but obviously there by her own choice and with her dad's tender encouragement. First time, she looked happy. The second time she was concentrating, but not overwhelmed. The third time, she was struggling, but wanting to have fun. The dad was not pushing her and I don't have a good idea of how far or fast they were going, probably with walk breaks. The fourth time, I casually said to the dad, "You should let her try a lap barefoot."

Next time I saw them, she was quite happily running barefoot and we gave each other high fives! You could tell she felt so much better. The dad was behind her this time and said to me in concern, "She is landing with her heels nearly flat."

I surmise he was worried about heel striking, but I answered, "that is how it is supposed to be." Hopefully, he will do some more research. I was going to say more the next time I saw them, when I was done with my run, but they were gone. Maybe they will show up again.

Noodles, dharmadan, gueng and 2 others like this.
  13. DNEchris

DNEchris
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Washington

Not running but in-line at the grocery store, dressed business casual again, (4 blocks away from my running routes) I was greeted by:
    "Aren't you the barefoot runner I see on Madison every morning?"

There is no anonymity in New York City!

dharmadan, gueng, migangelo and 3 others like this.
  14. bare_ftazn

bare_ftazn
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

Lady on street : "what happened to your shoes?"
    Me : "I'm saving money."

15. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

I saw an UBR (unidentified barefoot runner) the other day, coming from the opposite direction, and I wanted to be one of the people who reacts on this thread, but I was zipping past him on my bike, with shoes on (Merrell Bare Access), and I couldn't think of anything to say that wouldn't be what everyone already says to barefoot runners. Today I'm heading out for my first barefoot bike ride, with my new Ergon PC-2 pedals. If I see barefoot runner, I think I'll feel more at ease in acknowledging the barefoot connection.

dharmadan and happysongbird like this.
  16. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

If one is shod and sees a barefooter, a great reaction would be, "You're absolutely right! Who needs these stupid things?!"
    Then take off the shoes and cast them away.

dharmadan, DNEchris and happysongbird like this.
  17. DNEchris

DNEchris
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Washington

"Are you doing that on purpose?"

18. dutchie53

dutchie53
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Canada

While golfing on Saturday there was a bit of a wait on one of the tee boxes. As I was waiting one of the people in the group in front asked if I was in therapy or something for golfing barefoot. I told him I was and was trying to undo the harm done by a lifetime of wearing shoes. ;) During the same round a few holes later as I'm waiting to play through another group, I was asked if I was really golfing barefoot, I just looked at my feet and replied "damn, that's what I get for rushing out the door, you always forget something". :D

19. TrailDancer

TrailDancer
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

From a guy next to a service truck doing something with the underground cables, "S***! You're nuts!" By then I was ten or fifteen yards past him, and judging from the fact that he looked like he had never run a day in his life, I didn't waste any breath on a reply.

And recently the classic, "What happened to your shoes?" My reply, "I lost them five years ago, haven't found them yet!"

And also recently from a mountain biker, "You're hardcore!" Since he was already whizzing past me as I stepped aside, I just smiled at him. People are amazed that I run trails in the open space near Sandia Crest (our mountain to the east) where there's occasional cactus and goat heads. It's not nearly as dangerous as people think -- all those volcanized rubber soles and bicycle tires keep the trails pretty clear of nasties.

happysongbird, dharmadan, Sid and 4 others like this.
  20. Sly

Sly
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Portugal

this is true, a trail is very often a safe place for feet
    we have chestnuts in France, we could think its a nightmare for barefoot runners,
    but after one week or two, so many people stepped on them that they are not dangerous anymore. but dont leave the track !