Paleo again faster

I'm obviously not very

I'm obviously not very creative then. The stuff you guys are listing is making me hungry! To me, "meat" is either beef (which I'm not a fan of), chicken or turkey. And the occasional seafood. But I have no creativity if I'm not going to make sauces that follow the Paleo rules. That's where I'm really struggling.

Are you guys picky about whether or not the meat is lean, like the book says?

I guess I'm kind of a rule-follower, so it's hard for me to deviate from what I've read. No salt, sugar, butter, fatty meats, eggs (no more than 6/week), grains, potatoes, etc. That's a long list of no-no's! And for me, it's hard to make a meal w/o them! And as much as I don't like the rules, I need them because if I try to make it up as I go, then I'll make excuses to have all the things that are bad for me!

Are you reading Loren

Are you reading Loren Cordain? I have read the book and, really, some of it defies common sense - especially the notion that you should eat lean muscle meat supplemented with vegetable fat to simulate what organ meats would have been like. Why not just eat organ meats? Vegetable oils are horrible for you. Paleo man undoubtedly went for the fat first. I don't worry about eating lean meats. For sauces, you need to learn how to make stock and reduce it. I think to eat this way you really need to embrace it as a lifestyle and not a diet which means figuring out what really makes a difference to your health. Things like eating in season and not eating processed foods are good beginnings.

Yes, it's the book by Loren

Yes, it's the book by Loren Cordain. And I think you're absolutely right, Jschwab. About embracing it as a lifestyle, that is. And since we're just getting started, it's hard. It's even more difficult because we have five kids and the teenagers are no way going to switch over! So I'm trying to figure out how I can bring this all together and make the whole family happy! No easy task! Maybe I should just wait until my husband and I are empty-nesters! (just kidding. i don't want to wait!)

We have kids, too, but they

We have kids, too, but they are young and readily trained. One way to make it more palatable over the long term is to learn to bake with coconut flour and almond flour and other nut flours. You can use honey and maple syrup for sweetening. We are so caveman we actually bake birthday cakes on the grill since it's the only thing we ever make that would make sense in the oven as opposed to over an open flame. I used to make "granola" bars with eggs, honey, dried fruit and coconut flakes. Larabars are a nice Paleo snack. It's really about being vigilant about reading labels and slowly transitioning. Frankly, I think it's very easy to end up with too many things that taste good but are really too sweet to eat often. We feed the kids hot dogs and hamburgers - no bun. It doesn't have to be perfection all the time, as long as there is progress. My kids like cotton candy, sure, but they also eat raw eggs over steak tartare. Just be persistent.

I'm slowly switching over to

I'm slowly switching over to Paleo, its taking awhile for sure. I'm dropping one food item at a time to make it a gradual change. I haven't read any of the books just getting tips from some of the Paleo type websites like Mark's Daily apple etc. Getting rid of the grains is taking awhile for me... I've dropped the processed foods and sugars just down to rice left on the grains.

I work 2nd shift usually so eat 2 main meals a day with some snacks in between, a bunch of veggies with some kind of meat on the meals then a little fruit, nuts and veggies for the snacks. Its not easy to keep track of all this stuff really but its getting easier as I go along.

fetish, if you go for this

fetish, if you go for this diet it really helps to get a paleo cookbook. You need to get creative about these meals so you're not just eating meat and veggies, meat and veggies, meat and veggies....all the time. That's a great way to burn out really fast.

I had no idea there were so many ways to eat paleo until I got a cook book. One book I have shows all the ways you can make paleo pastas. Very cool. People are so creative!

Tomatoes aren't Paleo (just

Tomatoes aren't Paleo (just kidding!). There is floating around a good coconut flour cookbook, too, that I have been forwarded a lot of recipes from. It just takes time...

For those interested in

For those interested in jumping into paleo, I wanted to report my progress for the week. Week one of paleo and I am already down one notch on my belt. Not that I need to lose any weight, but I think it's cool. I am running the same distances with no apparent loss of energy. I am feeling more energized throughout the day as well.

The only thing that I have a problem with on the diet is that, especially at night, I am always seriously hungry. I eat dinner, then after I run I eat a snack. Then I am starving, so I eat another snack. Then another snack. Then one before bed. Does anyone have any tips for how to curb nighttime cravings on paleo? I get really sick of popping veggies and fruits all night, and I'm not a real fan of breaking out the dinner leftovers.

Saypay -- You might want to

Saypay -- You might want to try cutting your carb intake if you are still finding that you are hungry. If your carbs are below a certain threshold, hunger just magically disappears. I didn't really believe this until I tried it myself. So snack-wise, no-carb or very low carb snacks won't bump up your hunger.

jschwab wrote:Tomatoes aren't

jschwab said:
Tomatoes aren't Paleo (just kidding!). There is floating around a good coconut flour cookbook, too, that I have been forwarded a lot of recipes from. It just takes time...
I found a recipe for coconut flour pancakes on Mark's Daily Apple which looks really good.

I gotta put a plug in for my

I gotta put a plug in for my favorite paleo snack food: pemmican! I don't have any on hand right now, but I've made a couple batches this summer and it's great to have around for when you don't have time/energy to prepare a proper meal, or you just need to supplement a meal, or need a snack to get through the afternoon. Plus it's old-school, no-energy food preservation. What more could a person ask for?

Looks delicious Art. Also

Looks delicious Art.

Also thanks for the tip Matt. That might explain why I'm not hungry during the day but always at night after I run. Of course I heed the advice that I should get a good helping of carbs right after a run to recover. Of course, right after that I'm starving. Hmmmmmmm....

Saypay -- I used to be the

Saypay -- I used to be the same way after a run. I would be so famished that I would be nearly crazy with hunger, and would go for the nearly high carb food source available.

However, now I can go for a Sunday 1 1/2 to 2 hour run, come back home and maybe drink some coffee and or water, and I'm fine. Now that my blood sugar isn't bouncing all over the place, I don't get the sugar cravings like I used to get before.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts