OMG! Just call me tenderfoot

Today was my first jog outside barefoot. We have a LOT of gravel on our roads and sidewalks. After 10 minutes of hobbling along I found a stretch of concrete sidewalk (instead of paved). The concrete was clean and smooth. I would like to say I ran like the wind but I did at least jog. My pace was pretty slow but I think my form wasn't too bad. I will have to drive around and find a nice stretch of really clean concrete before Wednesday. All of our driveways are crushed rock and some people think it makes a nice yard. Also, I will bring my metronome with me for pacing.

I was able to run long enough to break a sweat and here that is saying something as it is only 53 F right now.

This may be the craziest thing I have done so far...still loving it :)

Congrats on your first barefoot run. It will get easier, to the point you will crave it. Just think smart, don't get crazy and do too much, and you will be fine.

I walked part of the way home today barefoot. I felt like I was streaking, people looked at me funny and one lady walking her dog pointed to my feet and told me I didn't have my shoes on. I kept a straight face and didn't laugh. It's not warm and seldom sunny here so going bare foot is pretty unusual. To make matters worse, we have one older fellow that never wears shoes, always has his pant legs cuffed up half-way to his knees and wears a conductor hat. So, anytime going barefoot is mentioned people say things like "Oh, like that guy that never wears shoes".

I'll go barefoot as much as I can and will jog every other day on the treadmill or outside weather permitting. I am not in any hurry and really just trying to get every drop of fun from running.

I am glad I stumbled across you all. :)

Reactions: Zetti and Bare Lee
Just tell'm that your shoes smelled too bad to wear today. It works for me and in my case, it's usually even true. They're Vibrams, ya know.

Good fror you taking your BFR baby steps. You'll probably even get to wher you're just about getting to enjoy it when FimbulWinter descends.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Haha, I was carrying them with me in a sack. I could have said how they smelled and offered them to see for themselves. It'll surely come up again so I will keep that in mind.

So, is walking on wet surfaces counterproductive for toughening up my feet? I remember reading that wet causes blisters. But then I've read people run and walk in all kinds of crazy conditions.

I'm in the Pac NW (Portland area) and we get a lot of rain. If the wet was as bad as some say we here in the Pac NW would barely run bf. I prefer to run in the wet personally, but that's my own opinion.

So, is walking on wet surfaces counterproductive for toughening up my feet? I remember reading that wet causes blisters. But then I've read people run and walk in all kinds of crazy conditions.

Welcome to the group. No, wet surfaces are no problem, actually fun. I avoided wet conditions my first year because I thought I would lose my conditioning. It's really not a problem. This year has been extra wet and I enjoy the change of conditions. Just be cautious of course, watch for slippery surfaces, don't push the pace, watch cold temperatures, etc.

Reactions: paraganek
Walking barefoot is an excellent way to build up your calluses, er, I mean plantar skin. I'm a habitual barefooter and had been walking barefoot for a couple of months after winter had passed before starting running barefoot last year, and never experienced any blisters or such-like problems. For winter barefoot running, check out advice here or on Jason's Barefoot University blog or on the Maple Grove Barefoot Guy's or Barefoot Rick's websites.

DrD, I'm only a few weeks more experienced with the barefoot thing than you, but I can tell you that it actually DOES get easier, at least in terms of barefooot conditioning. I am doing barefoot everywhere, except where I absolutely have to wear shoes (dang gym). It's been a little over three weeks, and I already notice a decidedly tougher feel to my soles. Not callused, exactly, but firmer. The chip-and-seal of our street doesn't bother nearly as much as it did when I first started, and concrete sidewalks feel like pillows by comparison and are really fun to run. At the same time, my arches feel a bit more supple, if that makes any sense. So, I guess what I'm saying is: hang in there, cause it'll happen!

ThomDavid don't worry I'm not about to give up.

Bare Lee I really like the Maple Grove site he's a hoot! I am trying to follow Jason program and like his site very much too. I'll have to look at Rick's stuff. And I have been reading the wealth of information here as well.

Today it poured down rain all day with wind. So, I used the treadmill again. It may take longer using a treadmill so much but really there is no hurry. On the treadmill today I did about an 8 minute warm up walk and then a 3 minute run followed by a 2 minute walk and another 3 minute run and finally a 5 minute cool down. I'm still using a metronome that I have set at 192 which feels pretty good as far as tempo goes.

I've thought about videoing my runs like I did when I was learning to squat and deadlift properly but I haven't yet.