New SoCal Barefooter says Hey!

I'm Thom, living in Oceanside CA, newbie barefoot runner. I'm a cliche -- read "Born To Run," got intrigued, began to suspect that footwear was the root of all my running ills, did a short BF run and dayum! I was hooked. Then I was hurt -- calves like rocks, hard to walk for a day or so. But on Saturday I went to Ken Bob Saxton's workshop in Huntington Beach and just got completely inspired. So, I'm looking forward to meeting other members of "the Society," and, I hope, other BF runners in my area. I'm an old fart (55), but just goes to show ya that even old dogs can learn new tricks!

Reactions: Sid
welcome. Thom is lucky the pirate lives in SF. Oceanside is near San Diego. north and south. should be two different states.

Welcome! It's great to be taught by the best.

Welcome Thom. There's a bunch of old(er) dogs on this forum. We all seem to be getting along with this barefoot running thing just fine.
Just remember to take things slow and easy. Your feet are going to have to go through a bunch of changes and they need to be given the chance to adapt.

Have fun - and keep smiling!

Thanks to you all for the friendly greeting. I'm guessing this dreaded pirate is someone I'll eventually encounter here on this site, so I'll keep my trusty sword handy.

One of the (multitudinous) questions that I had for Ken Bob was regarding whether or not someone of my advanced age and decrepitude could reasonably expect to learn this new skill without destroying what's left of my body. I was happy to learn that, with patience (not my strong suit, but whatever), there wasn't any reason that I couldn't. And it's good to know that there are others here that share my memories of shag haircuts and bad disco music (surely a redundant oxymoron if I've ever heard one).

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi Thom, welcome.

Any chance you are doing any of the Carlsbad races at the end of January? I registered for the marathon and will be staying in Oceanside that weekend. I'll have to check out Ken Bob's schedule, I would love to meet him and/or other barefoot runners while I am there.

Rick W.

Hi Thom, welcome.

Any chance you are doing any of the Carlsbad races at the end of January? I registered for the marathon and will be staying in Oceanside that weekend. I'll have to check out Ken Bob's schedule, I would love to meet him and/or other barefoot runners while I am there.

Rick W.
Yes, Rick, I am already signed up for the Carlsbad Half Marathon in January, as my goal is to complete the Triple Crown this year. I've run the C'bad Half (and full) before, but never barefoot. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about my prospects for success, but I'm thinking that if I take things slow, I have sufficient time to prepare for this barefoot. Ken Bob seemed to think it was doable too, so, I'm just going to proceed and gauge my progress by the end of November.

Let's meet while you're here!

And just to give you a little Ken Bob envy (or incentive, depending upon your inclination!), here...

Attachments

• Thom-Ken-Bob-and-Herman-web.jpg
    Thom-Ken-Bob-and-Herman-web.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 7
I'm Thom, living in Oceanside CA, newbie barefoot runner. I'm a cliche -- read "Born To Run," got intrigued, began to suspect that footwear was the root of all my running ills, did a short BF run and dayum! I was hooked. Then I was hurt -- calves like rocks, hard to walk for a day or so. But on Saturday I went to Ken Bob Saxton's workshop in Huntington Beach and just got completely inspired. So, I'm looking forward to meeting other members of "the Society," and, I hope, other BF runners in my area. I'm an old fart (55), but just goes to show ya that even old dogs can learn new tricks!

You're a cliche? Hi! I'm a dichotomy. By the way, there are evil troll-like folks from Oregon and Canadia (Canadia: Home of the Canadians) on the board, so watch out for them - awful folks, really. Nope, would never trust anyone above, say, the 41st parallel - they'll rob you blind, curve your spine and cause uneven tire wear. Nothing but us friendly, normal folks here in The Bay Area. Nice area down there - I used to live a little north of you, Behind The Orange Curtain (Newport Beach). Welcome!

You're a cliche? Hi! I'm a dichotomy. By the way, there are evil troll-like folks from Oregon and Canadia (Canadia: Home of the Canadians) on the board, so watch out for them - awful folks, really. Nope, would never trust anyone above, say, the 41st parallel - they'll rob you blind, curve your spine and cause uneven tire wear. Nothing but us friendly, normal folks here in The Bay Area. Nice area down there - I used to live a little north of you, Behind The Orange Curtain (Newport Beach). Welcome!

Hey Pirate, I resemble that remark.:rolleyes:
Welcome Thom hope your transistion to this new adventure goes smooth and with many rewards.

i can't get out of this place soon enough.

Welcome to the crew, Thom. The best advice I've ever gotten for BF running is "totally relax your feet." That will solve the tight calf problem as well as ensuring your form gets and stays correct. Sounds crazy but it works. I'm now almost 2 years into BFRing after 25 years of shod heel-pounding. Glad to have you here.

Since we're on the topic of cliches, then...avast, ye matey. You must be the pirate of heard tell about in these parts. Something tells me, though, that I can keep my sword sheathed...it seems pretty friendly around these waters so far! Thanks for the warm welcome, or should I say...yo ho ho.

Welcome to the crew, Thom. The best advice I've ever gotten for BF running is "totally relax your feet." That will solve the tight calf problem as well as ensuring your form gets and stays correct. Sounds crazy but it works. I'm now almost 2 years into BFRing after 25 years of shod heel-pounding. Glad to have you here.
Thanks, Phil. And while in practice I've not quite gotten it yet, I completely understand the "relax the feet" part of my running form. In fact, the "relax everything" part is really good advice.

It's not in my nature to hold back and take it slow, but reading through these forums has convinced me to go against my nature and just pretend like I'm starting to run all over again. No time or distance goals, no pressure to make a certain pace, but instead just do a little bit every other day. And strangely enough, I'm enjoying my running more than ever. Yesterday I did my first "pavement" bf run, just about a mile, and it was pretty great. A mixture of smooth concrete sidewalks, pebbled concrete, and rough asphalt really had my soles tingling and kept my mind in the game. And I took today off (well, I rode the stationary bike for an hour, just to keep the blood moving), so I'm looking forward to my next run tomorrow. I'll keep your good counsel and remember to relax those feet (and shoulders, and calves, and neck), and smile.

It's amazing to me how much switching to barefoot running has rejuvenated my running, even though I'm running far less than I was before. I know the miles will come, but for once, the process itself is fascinating and worth savoring. Thanks again for your kind welcome. I like it here, pirates or not.

Thom:

You've taken my good advice a few wise steps further. I ignored the "take it slow" advice and plowed ahead, like so many others you'll find here. A left foot (3rd metatarsal head) stress fracture gave me 10 weeks to reconsider the wisdom of forging boldly ahead against all good advice. I hope you can learn from my stupidity and avoid that unpleasant detour. And the pirates around here don't seem too bad.

Reactions: ThomDavid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7