New running form video - please comment!

You have good running form sir. Your feet lands directly under your general center of mass (hips) and you drive your knees forward fast enough. Your knees are bent all the time and you have minimal bounce (taking advantage of the recoil effect of the ground). Wow. I hope I can run as fast as you do (driving your knees almost touching your butt).

Reactions: joohneschuh
I agree with Renz, Kean and Lee. Running form is very good.
If anything can be correct, when you run at slower pace there is a slight vertical movement, which can be seen in slow motion making. This may be caused by a too prolonged contact of the foot on the floor, which may have to do with the cadence
Also there may be some tension in the shoulders, but this you know better than me.
I hope I was helpful.

Hi everyone,

we´ve made a couple of running form video on IBRD, here´s mine:

Please comment!

Hi, are you happy with how you run? In general I think you are relaxed as you run in these videos. Having watched in frame by frame I do think you could improve on your current technique by learning how to lead more with your center. That would cause you to visually run with slightly less knee bend and a more compact leg range of motion. Perceptually you would need to alter how your body is coordinating your legs as you move on and off the ground. Physically I believe you would need to lift your feet rather than extend your hip and thigh as you are doing now. Of course, if you are happy with how you run now just continue what you are doing.

Thanks everyone so far for commenting!

If anything can be correct, when you run at slower pace there is a slight vertical movement, which can be seen in slow motion making. This may be caused by a too prolonged contact of the foot on the floor, which may have to do with the cadence.
Yeah, cadence. I find it difficult to increase it more because I tend to get sloppy then. It´s like playing a tune on the piano faster than I am able. But I´m going to focus more on it, especially at slower pace.
Also there may be some tension in the shoulders, but this you know better than me.
Usually not, but maybe in this particular video there is tension in the shoulders. Actually I don´t know. Running several short stretches for shooting a video unfortunately isn´t exactly the same as simply running for a while. I usually need some time to get really fluid and relaxed.

Hi, are you happy with how you run? Of course, if you are happy with how you run now just continue what you are doing.
Yes, I am. But I am also curious about further options for improvement or simply experimentation. Curiosity was the reason I started barefoot running in the first place :) And currently I feel I have more or less learned every lesson I was able to teach me myself. Now is a good time for some input from others.

I do think you could improve on your current technique by learning how to lead more with your center. That would cause you to visually run with slightly less knee bend and a more compact leg range of motion. Perceptually you would need to alter how your body is coordinating your legs as you move on and off the ground. Physically I believe you would need to lift your feet rather than extend your hip and thigh as you are doing now.
Okay, I think I know what you mean. You´re referring to the pose-pull, right? I know your video demonstrating it.
It applies especially for the slower pace, right? I figure that the knee of the lifted leg would be higher and more in front of me. Why do you think that these changes would be an improvement? (I´ll try them anyway, but maybe you even have a good reason :)).

But I´m not sure how to do it. Do I have to try to pull my foot under my butt?

That would cause you to visually run with slightly less knee bend
OMG! Let´s hope that Barefoot Ken Bob and his disciples are not reading this :p

Your running form is good ... I would suggest running longer on rougher pavement/trails as a test of your form... don't over think it and let your body awareness self adjust at this point.

I would suggest running longer on rougher pavement/trails as a test of your form.
Ran a marathon on pretty rough pavement, got 1 bad blister on the left heel (left = week side) because of relapsing into the old habit of heel-striking. Apart from that: no problems.
don't over think it and let your body awareness self adjust at this point.
This is exactly the method I´ve just so far. Works well!

Ran a marathon on pretty rough pavement, got 1 bad blister on the left heel (left = week side) because of relapsing into the old habit of heel-striking. Apart from that: no problems.!

I doubt your form is your weak link... 20 miles of warmup...6 mile of hope and prayer.

Looks good Sir, especially the fluidity of movement.

I'm looking at this on my phone so pretty small but in the short clip from directly in front it looks like there its a little lack of symmetry in your arm swings, left arm going a bit higher.

Might not be worth messing with if you're comfortable.

You look great, Hannes, really! I'd say you're at the point where you can elect to twiddle with the fine-tuning a little, but only because you want to, not because you need to.

If you want, we can play around with cadence in Munich a little (and in Kulmbach, too) :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon