More of less or less of more?

Cool, thanks for the links. Have you looked into different brands of rope? Is the manila kind still the standard?
That's the part I am having a tough time figuring out. Not sure. I need to go to a store that sells ropes for boats. I happen to live on a sailboat and there is this super soft rope we have that I really like -cause generally speaking, if I am going to have a rope in my groin it had better be soft. Lol. I plan to use the ladder to get up into the tree, and then just climb around in the branches -with my harness on and attached to a rope, attached to the tree, mostly for safety rather than utility. What kind of trees do you have where you live? There are a "few" -very few- good climbing trees out here. The other thing I have to figure out are the metal loopey thingies.

That's the part I am having a tough time figuring out. Not sure. I need to go to a store that sells ropes for boats. I happen to live on a sailboat and there is this super soft rope we have that I really like -cause generally speaking, if I am going to have a rope in my groin it had better be soft. Lol. I plan to use the ladder to get up into the tree, and then just climb around in the branches -with my harness on and attached to a rope, attached to the tree, mostly for safety rather than utility. What kind of trees do you have where you live? There are a "few" -very few- good climbing trees out here. The other thing I have to figure out are the metal loopey thingies.

We have a couple of good cottonwoods that lean a bit so the rope would hang down well with lots of clearance. I was thinking of a standard manila rope, like the kind we had in gym class. It would be great to use this as a finishing exercise after my back workouts.

We have a couple of good cottonwoods that lean a bit so the rope would hang down well with lots of clearance. I was thinking of a standard manila rope, like the kind we had in gym class. It would be great to use this as a finishing exercise after my back workouts.

Nice rope, but that type of rope is incredibly expensive. You are looking at about $150 for about 25 feet of it. You might find it used on like craigslist.

I just had one of these hooked up to my boat to climb on. I got it for free from a school that closed. Problem was, it was a used gym rope from a school built like over 50 years ago. As soon as I put my weight on it it broke apart from the metal part. Lol. Oops.

Nice rope, but that type of rope is incredibly expensive. You are looking at about $150 for about 25 feet of it. You might find it used on like craigslist.
Yah, it's hard to justify buying something like that on a whim. It could end up becoming an integral part of my workout regimen, or it could be something I use once or twice and forget about. But if I get one, I'm definitely buying new. I'm not willing to take the risk of something used breaking when life or limb are in the balance. And then there's the neighbors' kids to worry about . . .

Reactions: NickW
Ya BL, I guess what I was trying to say, apparently not very well, is that we don't really need to do core specific workouts, but should do other workouts that work the whole body out more. I think that is more useful. Have fun with the rope climbing. I used to love it, now my fat butt can't do it with my arms only, but I can still do the easy, use your legs way. I am finding I am really getting into some of the exercises I used to do in the Army on a regular basis. Seems to really kick my butt now. A lot of it seems to be similar to the Movnat stuff.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Ya BL, I guess what I was trying to say, apparently not very well, is that we don't really need to do core specific workouts, but should do other workouts that work the whole body out more. I think that is more useful. Have fun with the rope climbing. I used to love it, now my fat butt can't do it with my arms only, but I can still do the easy, use your legs way. I am finding I am really getting into some of the exercises I used to do in the Army on a regular basis. Seems to really kick my butt now. A lot of it seems to be similar to the Movnat stuff.
Yah, 'core' exercises and 'functional' fitness are two trends that kind of irk me. I hope I don't sound like someone's dad telling the kids how much better the bands used to be, but there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of how traditional fitness stuff like weights work. It's not bad to isolate muscles. It's good and promotes hypertrophy better and faster. The first thing you learn is good form so that you're not recruiting other muscles or muscle groups unnecessarily, right? I remember a guy at the University of Chicago gym who practically used his whole body while doing bicep curls with a barbell. I tried to suggest better form, but because he was slightly stronger than me overall, he blew my advice off. In fact I think he was slightly offended. Oh well . . .
As for the climbing, yeah, I'm sure it'll be a while before I can climb with just arms, maybe a long while, but I like the crunch-like movement of using the legs too. If you have any other suggestions on how I should be going about this, lemme know. Some of the other MovNat stuff is intriguing too, but again, I'd be skeptical if someone told me that that stuff is across the board better than weight training.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090