Mileage Reporting 45th week of 2012

2mm soles, but you know, they've got a layer of something or another inside the shoe, and I think just the having more of a structure makes them feel different than the sandals.
I'm considering ordering the moc3s, just because even though they are also 2mm, they are supposed to have more ground feel than the regular mocs. Also, funny but the suede mocs I have keep my feet almost too warm (and now I've used them down to 18degrees, albeit on short runs), so the ventilation might be nice until things get wet and slushy. My only concern is that like NickW, I have narrow ankles, so slip on shoes with no adjustments usually don't work well with my feet. I love the company though, and the suede mocs I have held up in everything, including rain, sleet, slushy snow this winter, and only show a bit of wear I think because I wore them for walking and everywhere aside from running.

It's just funny b/c last year when I was first transitioning the soft stars felt like nothing on my feet. Now they feel like big thick boots.

Anyhow, sandals alone are ok down to low-mid 30s dry, sandals w/ socks (bought a pair of super thin toe socks) down to mid 20s, then low 20s something more would be nice but not sure I need all that runamoc has to offer. Might want to save those for sledding and stuff, damp conditions, and single digit temps.
Yah, I would give the Moc3s a chance. I used them last winter when it was too cold for barefoot, usually without socks but with smartwool socks on the coldest days, and I was pretty happy with them. I didn't notice them interfering with my form, such as it is. I haven't worn them since then, so my opinion may have changed, but from my limited minimalist experience they have by far the best groundfeel and the fit was fine. I don't know if I have narrow ankles but I'm pretty sure they aren't unusually thick either.

Reactions: happysongbird
2mm soles, but you know, they've got a layer of something or another inside the shoe, and I think just the having more of a structure makes them feel different than the sandals.
I'm considering ordering the moc3s, just because even though they are also 2mm, they are supposed to have more ground feel than the regular mocs. Also, funny but the suede mocs I have keep my feet almost too warm (and now I've used them down to 18degrees, albeit on short runs), so the ventilation might be nice until things get wet and slushy. My only concern is that like NickW, I have narrow ankles, so slip on shoes with no adjustments usually don't work well with my feet. I love the company though, and the suede mocs I have held up in everything, including rain, sleet, slushy snow this winter, and only show a bit of wear I think because I wore them for walking and everywhere aside from running.

It's just funny b/c last year when I was first transitioning the soft stars felt like nothing on my feet. Now they feel like big thick boots.

Anyhow, sandals alone are ok down to low-mid 30s dry, sandals w/ socks (bought a pair of super thin toe socks) down to mid 20s, then low 20s something more would be nice but not sure I need all that runamoc has to offer. Might want to save those for sledding and stuff, damp conditions, and single digit temps.
I am wanting to try the Moc3's, but apparently they don't make them in a wide. I'm thinking I may just drive down there to their store to return these dashes and try on some of the Moc3's or the originals so I can see if any of them work for me. I should have done that in the first place.

I do love the feel of my homemade sandals. They are by far the closest to the barefoot feeling, but I just can't seem to get the lacing correct (for me) so that they don't bother me. The sole and suede footbed that I use are not anywhere near as stiff as the normal vibram materials everyone seems to use. They are very pliable in any direction and so that means tremendous ground feel. I've got an idea I'm brewing on for my homemade sandals, but I am going to wait and see if the Unshoe Pah Tempes work for me before I attempt to make these. Last winter without socks I was able to wear my huaraches down to about 30F. I probably could have gone quite a bit colder, we just never got colder than that here. At least not at times that I was running.

I felt tired and lazy today and I didn't want to do it but I did it anyways.
So I managed 5 mi @ 9 mm pace.

3.5 this am as usual still tight on the left calf, otherwise ok.
wore my soft star foot bags. They did ok, but do seem to be less groundfeel than my sandals. It was hovering near 20 degrees though, and I wanted warm feet.

what's wrong with your calf?

4.07 miles. Did 2.5 in my huaraches and 1.57 barefoot. First mile, 10:30, second, 10:20, third 12, and fourth was 11:15 and yes was pushing the stroller. The third mile was the first barefoot mile and had a really rough patch abut 500 feet long that slowed me to a crawl. Man that hurt. Was able to pick up the pace again after that but my feet were just really tender after that so I put on the huaraches for the last half mile. Felt really good, and accidentally snuck up on a crane or whatever they're called. My son was screaming "A duck! A duck!" while I stopped to take a picture of it. Lol!

pics or it didn't happen :D

I just did 2.9 miles, tried to load my Garmin to the website, the watch crashed, had to reboot, and now the history is gone. Some days, technology sucks.:(
lost a couple of my long runs by accidentally deleting them. made me crabby.
until i realized i am not that committed to the numbers anyway, wasn't trying to qualify for boston or anything.
not to say that's not a bummer. i'm data driven, so losing data points is never fun, especially when it's not your fault.

what's wrong with your calf?
dunno. it's just tight. i roll it and all, it's just tight in a certain spot. '
i overtrained for a month or so, and when my body said rest, i said things like "hmm, body, i get that you're tired, uh, how about 8 miles instead of 15?" when in fact it was asking for a day or two off.
i also get 4-5.5 hrs of sleep per night when i need 8+, and spend my non running hours sitting in front of a puter. what could possibly go wrong.

dunno. it's just tight. i roll it and all, it's just tight in a certain spot. '
i overtrained for a month or so, and when my body said rest, i said things like "hmm, body, i get that you're tired, uh, how about 8 miles instead of 15?" when in fact it was asking for a day or two off.
i also get 4-5.5 hrs of sleep per night when i need 8+, and spend my non running hours sitting in front of a puter. what could possibly go wrong.
Boy that sure sounds familiar. I think I may know a guy that does that same stuff....;)

Getting ready to head out for my morning run, and it's actually cold enough out to qualify for the winter challenge (38F). The problem is my left foot is still sore from Tuesdays 1 mile (the other 6.5ish didn't bother the foot) on the worn concrete so I need to wear footwear. Problem is I'm not wanting to don the Altra Adams, the Inov8's, the NB, my homemade huaraches, either pair of my Lunas, nor the Soft Stars Dashes that I'm sending back. Ugh, to have all these minimal choices and still not have a pair that I want to run in. Shaking and hanging my head down low... o_O

I feel like such a slacker, 1 mile on the dreadmill on Wednesday followed up with a 7.21 mile night run last night with the dog.

I am sitting here at lunch looking at the awesome weather thinking a run should be in order (a modest -12 degrees outside) and deciding I might want to eat lunch out instead.

Getting ready to head out for my morning run, and it's actually cold enough out to qualify for the winter challenge (38F). The problem is my left foot is still sore from Tuesdays 1 mile (the other 6.5ish didn't bother the foot) on the worn concrete so I need to wear footwear. Problem is I'm not wanting to don the Altra Adams, the Inov8's, the NB, my homemade huaraches, either pair of my Lunas, nor the Soft Stars Dashes that I'm sending back. Ugh, to have all these minimal choices and still not have a pair that I want to run in. Shaking and hanging my head down low... o_O

so many channels but nothing on tv, right?
so many gentlemen callers no one husband material......................
so many minimal shoes nothing to wear....................

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7