Mileage Reporting 39th week 2013

Yes Dama, it's a tough life I lead. :p
Poor guy, sorry for your suffering but you know what the song says, "some guys have all the luck" and you ain't one of them, maybe next year your life will improve:p

Today's a day I have to go into the Philly main office and which meant that I probably wouldn't have time to run in between there and bowling league tonight. So instead I used the 15 minutes of daylight I had to squeeze in a run before showering and getting ready to go to work.

The disappointing part of the run was that I couldn't keep going. I had awesome feeling legs, full of spring and it was fun to see how that one hill which used to loom sort of long and serious seemed like nothing this morning. Just floated up it, ran to the end of the road and turned around and felt my legs just snapping along, nice and quick but still easy. Finished up doing 1.38 miles in 12:11. And I was just getting warmed up really.

But not looking forward to this afternoon when I'll have to put on a pair of shoes. Oh well.

Congrats Nick! Glad to hear everything went well. And I'm loving that Ben is adjusting so well. It took our daughter a lot longer to accept her little brother!

One thing though, and excuse me for interfering, but is there anyway you can convince your wife to breastfeed? Not only would it save you from having to get up in the middle of the night, but it's sooooo much better for the baby. In Africa everyone co-sleeps, so when baby needs a snack, mom just has to whip out the titty and can nurse while still half-asleep. Much easier on everyone.
We are breastfeeding, but we also have to supplement like we had to with our son as she is not producing enough milk. The drs think part of that is because she had a csection again and then her body just may not be able to produce enough. With Ben he didn't eat very well (still doesn't actually) and apparently that can affect milk production. We had really high hopes this time that she would be able to because Abby seems to be such a better eater. In any case, Abby is constantly on the nipple, like with maybe 5 minute break at a time, so the wife gets zero rest at that point. We are still trying to breastfeed as much as we can to see if her milk production will come in, but at this point it is not looking good for that.

We are breastfeeding, but we also have to supplement like we had to with our son as she is not producing enough milk. The drs think part of that is because she had a csection again and then her body just may not be able to produce enough. With Ben he didn't eat very well (still doesn't actually) and apparently that can affect milk production. We had really high hopes this time that she would be able to because Abby seems to be such a better eater. In any case, Abby is constantly on the nipple, like with maybe 5 minute break at a time, so the wife gets zero rest at that point. We are still trying to breastfeed as much as we can to see if her milk production will come in, but at this point it is not looking good for that.
Sorry to hear of the difficulties. I hope the production kicks in soon, that'd be a big help. In any case, just remember the whole thing gets a lot easier in 3-6 months. All the very best Nick!

Good luck to you, your wife and the newborn, Nick.

Of course, if you really want to try something crazy, try letting Abby suck on your nipples and see if you start lactating. Some men can lactate.

Sorry to hear of the difficulties. I hope the production kicks in soon, that'd be a big help. In any case, just remember the whole thing gets a lot easier in 3-6 months. All the very best Nick!
Ya It would be a big help, but it is what it is so we just roll with it. Really it isn't that bad right now, although last night we had a two hour stretch where every time we set her down she would sleep for 5-10 minutes and then would wake and want to eat again. That was pretty rough, but then after that she gave us two 3 hour stretches of sleeping bliss.

This sounds too uncientific, I had C-section with my first and had plenty of milk. Thank GOD for that cos he was a HUGE eater. He was 10.2 lbs at birth and was gaining sp? like three pounds a month. Good grief!
One of my older sisters was in the same situation as your wife she was never able to produce enough milk for her babies even though she has big and I mean big b**bs and is much heavier than me and not a single c-section(she had 10 kids).
But remember this is all temporary so hang in there!!

Ok thanks.
but, then what... how long.. rest a couple of weeks?
Then start up again slowly again of course
Massage your feet with very hot olive oil as hot as your skin can tolerate before bed and don't forget the shins/calves. If there are no other issues and the pain is just trantioning stuff maybe three days? or however long it takes can't tell you for sure but you'll know.
When you come back go as far as you can and as soon you feel a niggle stop and called
it a day.

This sounds too uncientific, I had C-section with my first and had plenty of milk. Thank GOD for that cos he was a HUGE eater. He was 10.2 lbs at birth and was gainig sp? like three pounds a month. Good grief!
One of my older sisters was in the same situation as your wife she was never able to produce enough milk for her babies even though she has big and I mean big b**bs and is much heavier than me and not a single c-section(she had 10 kids).
But remember this is all temporary so hang in there!!
Actually Dama, there are studies out there that suggest not letting the body go through all it's natural phases of child birth may slow or inhibit the production of milk. I am not sure that they have linked anything definitively yet, but I know there is the possibility. Ya, my wife has big ones too and they seem to have filled in, with apparently milk, but she sure cant express much out.

Actually Dama, there are studies out there that suggest not letting the body go through all it's natural phases of child birth may slow or inhibit the production of milk. I am not sure that they have linked anything definitively yet, but I know there is the possibility. Ya, my wife has big ones too and they seem to have filled in, with apparently milk, but she sure cant express much out.
Interesting, I've never heard that before.

Massage your feet with very hot olive oil as hot as your skin can tolerate before bed and don't forget the shins/calves. If there are no other issues and the pain is just trantioning stuff maybe three days? or however long it takes can't tell you for sure but you'll know.
When you come back go as far as you can and as soon you feel a niggle stop and called a day.

Ok. :)
I feared a much longer break.
I'll rest the rest of this week, and massage like you recommend, and if it feels good in my foot I'll try to run Monday next week.

I have a friend who adopted babies and breast feed them, so with the body will usually respond to the constant stimulation. I hope your wife can relax about it, because that helps a lot too. It can take a couple days for some babies to get better at nursing well, but it is good strength training for them! The colostrum baby is getting along the way will be super food.

I am going to put in my two cents about nursing in bed, though. I tried and tried and found the laying down nursing extremely uncomfortable. This is probably due to smaller breast size (which I realize you said is not the issue here). Just not so easy to sling the b***bie over. So, just saying that while breast feeding is number one on my list, the working out of it may not look the same for everyone. There can be various differences that affect how it works best for people.

I'm sure you have researched it a lot, but I have a friend who has also nursed 7 babies and worked through a variety of problems. Your wife might find reading her article encouraging. http://dailyimprovisations.com/the-truth-about-breast-milk-supply-and-demand/

Are you using a foot roller of some kind? Now that I'm running higher mileage, I've gotten a few PFish niggles and I've found that standing on a wood foot roller with most of my weight and rolling back and forth between my mets to my heel really helps.

I have a whole slew of things at my desk to work on my feet. Hot rocks, golf balls, tennis balls, wood dowels, frozen water bottles etc... It all helps with the pain relief and I am hoping its helping with the healing too. Calf massage and glute and hamstring stretches give relief too. The big problem is when I am standing, running or walking the tightness comes back and the pain too.

congrats nick.

abide and line,

have you been trying to self treat by digging into your calves? http://teamdoctorsblog.com/ start here for some online help. look for what's bothering you and follow his instructions. http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage/self-muscle-massage-pt-9-the-foot/ http://www.mobilitywod.com/

http://structuralrelieftherapy.com/therapist/search use this one to find a good massage therapist near you that uses this technique. try finding ART practitioners as well.

i truly believe a lot of your pain you can self treat. for the ones you can't seek help. buy the book "self trigger point therapy manual" by Clare Davies. it will help teach techniques you need and show you how to pinpoint the painful areas.

good luck. remember to search above your calves as well. weak glutes can easily pull on your calves which are external foot muscles.

I have a whole slew of things at my desk to work on my feet. Hot rocks, golf balls, tennis balls, wood dowels, frozen water bottles etc... It all helps with the pain relief and I am hoping its helping with the healing too. Calf massage and glute and hamstring stretches give relief too. The big problem is when I am standing, running or walking the tightness comes back and the pain too.
Well, you know a lot more about running stuff than I do, but I found for my ITBS I really had to start from zero and build the mileage back up very slowly, and I would stop to stretch in the middle of a run at the least sign of tightness. I even brought my 'stick' with me on a few runs. I had to start from zero a couple of time before I found the right mix of rest, pacing, and adding mileage. I think doing more squats, as you recommended, may have also helped--hard to be sure with so many variables. But even after I got up to 7-8 miles, I waited many more months before I began adding more mileage, just to make sure the ITBS ogre was really dead. If you do decide to go for a run, I would just try a mile at first, and slowly add more if there's no sign of trouble. Absolute rest if there is.

Well, you know a lot more about running stuff than I do, but I found for my ITBS I really had to start from zero and build the mileage back up very slowly, and I would stop to stretch in the middle of a run at the least sign of tightness. I even brought my 'stick' with me on a few runs. I had to start from zero a couple of time before I found the right mix of rest, pacing, and adding mileage. I think doing more squats, as you recommended, may have also helped--hard to be sure with so many variables. But even after I got up to 7-8 miles, I waited many more months before I began adding more mileage, just to make sure the ITBS ogre was really dead. If you do decide to go for a run, I would just try a mile at first, and slowly add more if there's no sign of trouble. Absolute rest if there is.

Yeah I was going to start slow and short today and build gradually. The problem is it doesn't get more painful when I am running until after a few hours of continuous running. And it is actually more painful when walking and standing.

I'm throwing everything at it right now, I've been doing regular stretches and strengthening excercises daily. I'm going to run barefoot more too, and I also picked up a pair of lunas for trail running. I have a standing desk at work and I am thinking about picking up a bar stool then I can alternate every hour between sitting and standing. Usually the afternoons are when the pain is the worst after I have been standing all day. It's frustrating but it'll go away eventually like everything else.

I'm throwing everything at it right now, .
I think that's the way to go. You'll never be sure of what cured it when it eventually gets better, but that's what I did with the ITBS: stretching, rolling, strength training, faster paces, lesser distances, discontinuous running, maybe a few other things. Still don't know which of those was key, or if it was a combination of two or more of those things. I still remember how it came out-of-the-blue though. Within ten steps I couldn't even walk. That still haunts me a bit these days on my longer runs.

Anyway, hope you find your cure soon.

a comfortable 45 mins run.