Mileage Reporting 29th Week of 2013

No running this morning, just a walk down the chip-seal road to a small gravel parking lot where I walked on that for the longest amount of time and distance yet.

I'm finding that the same routine as the previous week is working out fairly well. When I swim before work, I always pack my work clothes the night before, so I can change afterwards. As I left home this morning, I shrugged off a small feeling that I forgot something. Swam, and got to work early. Started changing, shirt, slacks, socks, ... shoes... Shoes? I forgot the shoes! Can't really pass off my Achilles sandals as shoes. So I go back home, got the shoes, and came back. 25 mile roundtrip in 45min in morning traffic.

Must be the shoddies' conspiracy.

Ha! this reminds me of this past Monday when we were driving back home from MN, we stopped to get a snack and as soon as I got in the store I realized that I forgot to put my sandals on so I went in BF and the employes saw me and they said not a word.:D

I almost forgot, 55 mins run yesterday-yikely(I just made it up-the word) hot!

Tuesday
10-11 miles bicycle commuting--office and picking up the kids, also went to bike shop to get some new pedals.
93 F

Tuesday afternoon
Zone 3 ST, mostly cables: pull downs--back (pull-up bar) & front (lat-blaster bar), chin-ups, straight-arm pull-down, seated row, and plank extensions with my ab wheel.

Spreading the st workouts over six days rather than three is a mixed blessing. I like the shorter, 20-to-40-minute workouts, but doing weights on a daily basis is kind of unrelenting mentally.

Wednesday morning
5.76 mi / 9.27 km
77 F

Woke up dehydrated (three beers and no water last night), really didn't feel like running. First mile was slow at 11mm pace but then the legs loosened up and stayed loose the rest of the way. Pace was just under 10mm, about 10 secs faster than Monday's run, with no extra effort, so my body has apparently figured out that it will be asked to run first thing in the morning from here on out and is adjusting accordingly. I think the first week, last week, my body thought I was just joking. No fatigue or strain towards the end, although my right calf began to feel a little tight.

I'll also start posting my runs as I do them, like everyone else on here. Lol. I was a little slow on the uptake there. Sorry. :)
I think either way is OK. I've been meaning to just do weekly summaries for some time, but the daily reports help keep me motivated.

Nice paces btw!

The idea of running on gravel still scares me.
I've only done a pure gravel run once or twice, but it's not that hard. You just have to relax and go slow. I found it's not very satisfying as a run, because you have to go so slow, but it's pretty cool as a barefoot challenge. If I had a good gravel road nearby, I would run on it once every week or two for the sole conditioning.
I think all I did was ask about your microruns and then mentioned that I was running 5 days a week and seeing some real gains. Not sure how that got twisted to running 7 days a week... :D Anyhow, I am curious how you do so I will be reading your reports to see it goes. Good luck man!
It's the old adolescent reasoning . . . if a little's good, more must be better!

Anyway, I think I'm already noticing an improvement in my conditioning, so I think you're onto something. The only question is whether the gains in fitness are worth the extra exposure to or risk of overuse injuries. Only time will tell.

I started off the week with a 10K run in the evening. It was still in the 90s, but the sun was low at least. I had been planning to bump up the distance, but I want to make sure I can keep up with 18 miles per week before pushing it any more. My big nemesis is achilles tendon strain, which I seem to develop if I bump distance up too quickly.

I hope to hear in another 2 days whether I've secured a spot in the Twin Cities 10 Mile run in October. Also, I am contemplating a Bubble Run (http://www.bubblerun.com/). It's only a 5K, but sounds fun. Anyone have any experience with one of these races?

My schedule is out of sync and my knee is being weird. Will start another thread on the knee, but I did run 4 miles this morning, just concentrating on form. Didn't take the Garmin so I wouldn't be tempted to worry about pace today. Passed one big unsupervised dog without hyperventilating. Of course, it helped that he only looked at me and didn't move toward me. Still, I passed only the width of the path away - and didn't look back!

Well, I think I am officially gonna start calling myself a Luna-tic. Ran 7.05 miles at an avg pace of 9:49 in my Luna Mono's. Today was by far the fastest run I have done at that pace. My avg pace for runs between 5-8 miles is typically 11:20-11:30'ish. To run as fast as I did today was insane. I had started running and about 1/2 mile in some young ripped dude blew by me like I was standing still (was about a 10:13 pace at the time). I decided to see how long I could keep up with him. I kept up with him for about a 1/4 of a mile then we hit a slight 100 foot long hill and with the stroller I just couldn't keep up. Finished the first mile in 9:43 pace as I decided after he popped me on the hill to just keep it easy. After that I kept expecting to slow down at some point but it didn't and in fact at times my pace picked up (mile 4 at 9:39 and mile 5 at 9:20, mile 6 at 9:43!), I didn't slow down till I was on the final 1 mile slight and steady hill where I avg'd 10:20 going up. Not sure what exactly got into me, but man I like it. I really want to test myself at a 5k race where I won't have to run with a stroller and I can just see where I'm at. I'm wondering if I might be able to get in the 7's, maybe... I also am wondering if todays run was because I had a very high protein day with food yesterday. Wasn't planned like that, it just sorta happened. Anyhow, hope everyone else is doing just as well in their training!

First run of the week today...ran at Ft Yargo State park 10.5 miles on the mountain bike trails. It was the first regular summer day in a few weeks hi 80's to lo 90's humidity down into 50+% range...it was good heat training started around noon. Kept the effort easy walked all the hills ave pace was 12:37 with the walking. Feets have a lot staining from berries all over the trails think will take a few days to go away...makes my feet look bruised up.

A rather short run today as I only got to the gardens where I run a bare 25 minutes before they closed. As it was so late there were few visitors and the staff were trundling around in golf carts, presumably checking that no-one had left their kids in the shrubbery. I was running barefoot round the ornamental pond when one of them hailed me and asked if I was OK. I just smiled and said I loved running on the grass there and she carried on. I'm not quite sure what kind of 'not all right' would have involved running round an ornamental pond dodging swan poop, to be honest. Looking back I realised that it was just as well I didn't meet her a few weeks back in my running journey - today I could smile and talk like a normal person; back then she would have got some Darth Vader style heavy breathing That would probably have convinced her I needed rescuing.

We've been having the hottest weather of the year around here so far. Last evening, after dinner, I took a short walk and noticed that the tarry patches of the chip-seal road were a bit soft in places.

MRP7ZDH.jpg

82ZVuzY.jpg

Anyhow, I walked about 1.25 miles this morning and ran about 400-450 yards of that, mostly on the uphill sections but some on the level too. It definitely helps a lot if you maintain a good tempo with the feet, try to relax and try to achieve a feeling like you're floating over things.

My tar footprints didn't survive the night though. Don't know if I'll try laying them out again this evening, today it might get so hot the road will turn into something like the La Brea tar pits.

Wednesday
Three-mile bicycle commute.

Wednesday afternoon
Zone 5 ST.

Started with deadlifts with the trap bar, and had just worked up my max weight, ready to do a few sets there, when I had to take calls about our kitchen remodeling (still not done after almost four months!), and from my mother's nurse concerning her medication and rehab (from her lower leg blood clot). By the time I got back to my weights, I had totally lost my pump, so it would be dangerous to launch straight into my max weight. I'd have to warm up again. Then I looked at the clock and saw time had run out and I didn't even have time to cycle out to pick up the kids at daycare and Discovery Club, so I drove. I felt guilty. I guess I'm becoming a real exerholic.

Then in the evening my right calf, which had felt a little tight during the morning's run, started to feel tighter. And it's still a little tight this morning.

Thursday morning.
So I blew off this morning's mini-run, which was going to be 2-3 miles of hills or a tempo run, and my morning bicycle commute. Now I feel really guilty. I'm probably just a little dehydrated but the calf tightness could be from four consecutive days of running, which I think is close to a first for me. I'll try to massage it throughout the day and see if I can get in a mile or two this afternoon, before my next st workout.

Thursday morning.
So I blew off this morning's mini-run, which was going to be 2-3 miles of hills or a tempo run, and my morning bicycle commute. Now I feel really guilty. I'm probably just a little dehydrated but the calf tightness could be from four consecutive days of running, which I think is close to a first for me. I'll try to massage it throughout the day and see if I can get in a mile or two this afternoon, before my next st workout.

That's what running four days in a row do to your calves...just sayin'.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon