Mileage Reporting 29th Week of 2013

Just finished a pretty good run this evening in the neighborhood. Ran 6.25 miles. Feet good, legs pretty good, and pooper good!;) Was a nice evening for a run as temps were around 80F with a lite breeze. Feet seemed to handle the asphalt with no problems with soreness at all.

Received a call from the shoe store today about the Merrell Vapor gloves. They can't get them as they are on back order. Bummer! :( Went online and found Merrells site also to say the black ones are out of stock. Decided to try waiting awhile to see if they will become available again in the next month or two.

Thanks for the heads up Lee on the size differences with the Vapor gloves.

5.0 mi in 59:30. I'm slowly getting less slower...

Also, while it wasn't running, I was sailing all weekend and was barefoot. We were in a regatta, which apparently counts as racing, but not so that you could tell by our boat (finished 2 out of 3 races, and only came in dead last once! Also, the race we didn't finish, we were DQ'ed because we crossed the starting line before the actual "official" start...apparently there's a rule against that :D ) Regardless, I'll have you know I looked dashing in my yachting cap, blazer and ascot

jim-b-gill-island_thumb.jpg

Half marathon in 1:59:55. My first ever. Slow run:walk 5:1 the first 12-13 km, then I just ran. Km-tempo from 6:10 to 4:48, had to speed up at the end to get under 2 hours (it wasn't planned, but hey, when you're that close, you should put in the extra effort). Wonderful feeling of just cruising after getting into the rythm before getting too tired to run properly.
I suppose I'll have to run a proper half marathon one day, with official timing and a number on my chest, to get an official PR. But till then, I'll brag about this till I'm blue in the face. And I'll continue training.

Maybe 300 more uphill yards this morning, they felt more floaty than what I did yesterday morning, more like I was getting a better springy action from the legs and feet. I think it's the first time I've ever had a floaty feeling running uphill, except for that one winter day when I was running up a long uphill some years ago and had a 35 mph wind at my back. My road tends to have very little in the mornings, which is really nice, but also has meant so far no one has driven by while I've been doing little bits of barefoot running.

When I first began transitioning life in general over to being barefoot, the chip-seal road which I live along scared me. I remember those first tentative uncomfortable steps upon its surface.

The idea of running on gravel still scares me.

Monday
Three-mile bike commute

Monday afternoon
Zone 1 ST: Chest, Biceps, and Forearm

Oh-oh, new order again. Feel free to skim or skip.

With six st workouts per week, my body is carved up into six zones, like a butcher shop chart:

Zone One: chest, biceps, and forearms, the centerpiece exercise is the bench press.

Zone Two: move up to the shoulders, neck and triceps, the centerpiece exercise is the military press.

Zone Three: move down to the upper back -- lats and traps -- this day I mostly work with cables.

Zone Four: a bit farther down to the middle back, a.k.a. 'the core' -- lats, obliques and whatever else is in that part of the body -- the centerpiece exercises are bent-over rows and landmines, but also hip thrusters, hyperextensions, pikes, woodchoppers, t-bar swings, and a few other things.

Zone Five: down to the lower back and hip/glutes but also some of the leg, the centerpiece exercise is the deadlift, but also power cleans, leg extensions and curls, etc.

Zone Six: finish with the glutes and legs, the centerpiece exercise is the squat, but also good mornings, calf raises, tipping bird, and bunch of plyo stuff and mobility exercises with ankle weights.

So, to give each area time to recover, I've shaped the schedule thusly, with little consideration for how the strength training might fit into running, since the running's done in the morning and the st is at the end of the afternoon:

Su: rest
M: Zone 1
Tu: Zone 3
W: Zone 5
Th: Zone 2
F: Zone 4
Sa: Zone 6

Yesterday it also occurred to me that my mini 'recovery' runs should really be the days I do my hills, intervals, and tempo runs, since 2-4 miles of those kinds of runs usually feels like enough. Then on my meso and macro runs, I can just run at a comfortable aerobic pace and get into that runner's zone. This is against the training orthodoxy of making the easy runs short, following the harder quality runs, but I think this might work for me. So a weekly schedule would look something like this:

Su: Mini run, 2-4 miles - intervals
M: Mezo run 5-7 miles
Tu: Mini run, 2-3 miles - hills
W: Mezo run 5-7 miles
Th: Mini run, 2-3 miles - tempo
F: Mezo or Macro run 5-10 miles
Sa: Mini run, 2-3 miles - recovery run

This week I'm giving this 'system' a go. I did intervals on Sunday, a mezo run yesterday, so if it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium, er, I mean my hills day, so:

Tuesday morning
2.3 mi / 3.7 km
hills

Slept in until 5:45am, didn't feel like running, and really didn't feel like running hills. Still, I got my butt out the door by 6am. I ran over to one of my neighborhood's larger hills, about 1/3 of mile away and ran up it. Eeh. Then I walked down some of it until I had caught my breath and ran down the rest. By the second ascent, my legs were warmed up and I was enjoying it. I was beginning to have my doubts about the runeverydayfirstthinginthemorning approach so that was a relief. Another few ascents and I was getting into it. I did four repeats and then went down the other side of the hill, which is a lot shorter and shallower. I could run a lot faster on that side. I did four of those. Then to finish things off, I ran back down the other side and did one more long ascent.

I think next time I'll do both sides together. It's a nice mix. One long, steep ascent, and one shorter, shallower ascent for a bone fide 'hill sprint'. Both sides together are about a fifth of a mile. Felt good. A couple of miles of this felt like plenty, but I could see doing a few more repeats and getting it up to 3-4 miles. Next time. Since this is only my second week of trying everyday running, I thought it best to stop to make sure I'd be in good shape for tomorrow's mezo run.

Went online and found Merrells site also to say the black ones are out of stock. Decided to try waiting awhile to see if they will become available again in the next month or two.

Thanks for the heads up Lee on the size differences with the Vapor gloves.
I also went for the black ones.
I just looked it up, and they were a half-size too big. Here's a thread where we discuss this a bit:
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/vivobarefoots-aqua-lites-neo-trails.13058/

Unless you have duck feet like Nick, I think you're going to like the VPs.

Amazon has the black ones for size 10 and up.

Seems after a 1 day break they are fine but 2 is just too much.
That's what I mean about underuse injuries. Two days off usually feels like too much for me too. My legs are stiff and more prone to tightening up on me if I go more than a day without a run. My left shoulder also gets a little gimpy if I take too many days off from st.

Even if my legs end up not being able to take the everyday running I'm experimenting with right now, I think I need at least four runs a week, rather than the three x per week I had always done before.

That's what I mean about underuse injuries. Two days off usually feels like too much for me too. My legs are stiff and more prone to tightening up on me if I go more than a day without a run. My left shoulder also gets a little gimpy if I take too many days off from st.

Even if my legs end up not being able to take the everyday running I'm experimenting with right now, I think I need at least four runs a week, rather than the three x per week I had always done before.
Ya I was telling the wife yesterday I have to at least ride the bike for a little bit on the weekends so I can stop this problem. It's horrible. Running 7 days a week seems to be kind of pushing it Lee, make sure to listen to your body and rest if it needs it. Good luck with this though.

Ya I was telling the wife yesterday I have to at least ride the bike for a little bit on the weekends so I can stop this problem. It's horrible. Running 7 days a week seems to be kind of pushing it Lee, make sure to listen to your body and rest if it needs it. Good luck with this though.
Oh yeah, I'm ready to rest or reduce at the first sign of soreness or fatigue. The schedule I posted is an idealized one--it'll probably average out to 5-6 runs per week. I put that plan out there so folks like you have a general idea of what I'm aiming for, for feedback purposes. No obligation to comment or even read of course, but I always like to compare notes, as you know.

I've read in several places that the idea that running wears out your knees is a myth, and in fact it can actually help one avoid arthritis and cartilage degeneration. If this is true, then there's no reason to restrict myself to three runs per week, as I always had. It's a novel approach for me, and kind of exciting.

And more and more studies on aging seem to suggest that there's no reason in principle not to exercise robustly into middle age and beyond. So I'm provisionally dropping the schedule safeguards and seeing if I can't push things just a bit more. I doubt I'd ever be capable of DNECHris's mileage, but I think 25-30 mpw, maybe even 30-35 mpw, isn't unrealistic. I really like the idea of becoming more of a real runner. I've been making progress, but I'm impatient to get into that 8-9mm range on a more consistent basis.

And don't forget that you mentioned that I mentioned everydayrunning, so whatever happens, it's all your fault.

And don't forget that you mentioned that I mentioned everydayrunning, so whatever happens, it's all your fault.
I think all I did was ask about your microruns and then mentioned that I was running 5 days a week and seeing some real gains. Not sure how that got twisted to running 7 days a week... :D Anyhow, I am curious how you do so I will be reading your reports to see it goes. Good luck man!

I discovered today that I have actually met my initial target for running, which was to be able to break into a run when I needed to without feeling as if I was going to die! Back in the spring I had to run for a train and ended up feeling so light-headed and shaky I went to the doctor when I got back. Today I was late for a Tai Chi class and realised I had no change for the car park so I ran to the nearest shop for change and back then ran the half mile to the class. Not barefoot, but I was wearing my xeros.

20 miles last week.

Monday 7 miles- Scorching day! Went out in the evening after putting the kids to bed. Temperature was warm but just right! I just went out an freestyled my run. Went where-ever I wanted. Through Crawfordsburn and Helen's Bay. Leafy suburbs overlooking the sea. Good times! Was so chilled running averaged 8min miles. Even through the huge 2 mile hill climb home.

Wednesdays - 5.8 miles.
I challenged one of the local running club's runs on Strava. One of their top runners posted a run called NDAC Easy Run. She averaged 8 min miles. I, in my arrogance, thought I'd a chance of maybe beating her time, given I'd been averaging 8 min miles recently... Firstly let me say, easy run my @ss! Hills!! Lots of em. I pushed and pushed but hey, still finished 1min 17 behind her. Dang. Naive on my part. Next time! Lol. Great run tho!

Sunday - 6.6 miles along the coastal path to Bangor and back. Terrible run. It was roasting hot, 11am and I just wasn't with it. A struggle pretty much the whole way. Still, beat my previous best by 32 seconds but it sure didn't feel like it. It was tough. Still, I got out, put the miles in and will benefit from it next run!!!

I'll also start posting my runs as I do them, like everyone else on here. Lol. I was a little slow on the uptake there. Sorry. :)

http://www.dailymile.com/people/Darkand

I'm finding that the same routine as the previous week is working out fairly well. When I swim before work, I always pack my work clothes the night before, so I can change afterwards. As I left home this morning, I shrugged off a small feeling that I forgot something. Swam, and got to work early. Started changing, shirt, slacks, socks, ... shoes... Shoes? I forgot the shoes! Can't really pass off my Achilles sandals as shoes. So I go back home, got the shoes, and came back. 25 mile roundtrip in 45min in morning traffic.

Must be the shoddies' conspiracy.

I'm finding that the same routine as the previous week is working out fairly well. When I swim before work, I always pack my work clothes the night before, so I can change afterwards. As I left home this morning, I shrugged off a small feeling that I forgot something. Swam, and got to work early. Started changing, shirt, slacks, socks, ... shoes... Shoes? I forgot the shoes! Can't really pass off my Achilles sandals as shoes. So I go back home, got the shoes, and came back. 25 mile roundtrip in 45min in morning traffic.

Must be the shoddies' conspiracy.

I keep a few pairs of shoes in my trunk, since I usually go to swim early as well, and bf, so I've been in this situation before.

Hey, Sid, how is the swimming going, btw? Earplugs solved all my swimmers ear problems; I recall you had a similar dilemma.

Reactions: Go Barefoot and Sid
I discovered today that I have actually met my initial target for running, which was to be able to break into a run when I needed to without feeling as if I was going to die! Back in the spring I had to run for a train and ended up feeling so light-headed and shaky I went to the doctor when I got back. Today I was late for a Tai Chi class and realised I had no change for the car park so I ran to the nearest shop for change and back then ran the half mile to the class. Not barefoot, but I was wearing my xeros.

See? These kinds of goals are great, because they manifest in one's daily life. Those moments when I can easily break out into a run for no reason......make me feel spry and younger than my age.

I keep a few pairs of shoes in my trunk, since I usually go to swim early as well, and bf, so I've been in this situation before.
I already ordered some new shoes. I replace my work shoes with the same ones when they wear out anyway, so I'll just store the new pair in the car, until I need them. Last week, I forgot my undershirt one day, so this might happen again. (I already have an old pair of slacks and shirt in the car.)

Hey, Sid, how is the swimming going, btw? Earplugs solved all my swimmers ear problems; I recall you had a similar dilemma.
153 proof is still working well for me!

Reactions: Go Barefoot

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon