Mileage Reporting 11th Week of 2013

did the swim, only about 30-35 min, not too intense. The water did feel soothing. More tired afterwards, but some of the aches are gone.

My way of resting: I'll resist the urge for a double dip (literally!) at swim while my daughter takes her swim class tonight (lap swim takes place on the other end of the pool, and my suit's already almost dry......nope, will not won't will resist......)

Change of tactic this week, instead of going for long runs every other day, I am trying to run shorter distances during the week, and long on Sunday. Total km should be about the same, maybe a little bit more...So this week I start nicely with 7.7km (4.8mi). I also tried to increase my pace, some flat section I ran at about 4'/km (not for very long :p).

Sunday we had a run with a couple of BF runners, we did 6.7km, fairly nice and slow, George Carter showed us how a friend of his was running downhills to minimise the impact, for those musicians around, I call it the shuffle run :cool:, it seems effective, but a bit weird, you look like doing gallop

And I did google this, but would you explain what "pyramiding intervals" mean to you? Just curious.
It's my own term, but it is an accurate descriptor. I'm not really sure if this is what it is really called, but it's what I'm calling it. Basically, I am able to custom do the settings on the bike prior to starting. It looks like a pyramid as it gets more intense as you go till around halfway, then it starts getting a little easier till the end. Now, I can't remember how many sections there are, maybe 15 or 16 I think, and each section is roughly 4 minutes long when I go for an hour (2 minutes when I go for a half hour). The first section is pretty easy and is a warm up, the next section is a bit harder, then the next section is easy again (basically like a rest cycle), then the next section is a little harder than the last hard section, and then another easy rest cycle. This goes on all the way to the halfway point and then each hard section starts getting easier again all the way to the end (forms a pyramid shape on the screen) and really puts me at about my limit of ability. I was feeling a little dizzy, like when you haven't eaten enough, by the time I got done today. Oh, and I try to keep my cadence around 90-100 the whole time (this is 180-200 for us runner types), even during my break cycles. This gets really hard to do in the middle sections of the workout.

7 mile barefoot run! That is the longest barefoot run I have ever done on the pavement. And I ran through, and saw, lots of interesting things! Cow poop - check! Glass - check! Birds mating - check! Used condom - check (not mine or the birds)! Another redhead - check! Nutria bigger than a wild boar - check! I can't wait to cry and whine tomorrow, over all the pain I have inflicted upon myself by doing that! :meh:

Jet lag made a 5:30 AM date on the spinning bike with my husband easy to get up for. 75 minutes with a few good power intervals. Then the sleepies hit me, but I stayed up, even if I wasn't coherent.
Thought I wasn't going to be able to manage a swim today, but as soon as night was over in Taipei and the afternoon sun came out here, I perked up and was able to swim for a bit. Not a serious swim workout, because I'm still pretty tired, but it felt good!

After yesterdays mini snow storm today reached 52 degrees so ran BF 4.38 miles on asphalt at the local park and concrete on the bike trail. Soles were slightly sore after the run but not bad. When leaving the park and heading onto the trail I met a man on a recumbent bike. When he saw me barefoot he did a classic double-take but had no comment. :) Once home I put on the VFF and took my two minature schnauzers for a walk and went about about 2.5 miles. The "pups" (both are older but wife and I still call them pups) enjoyed the walk. Guess they were building up their soles too.

Monday afternoon
Had a nice, full ST session and got a proper pump, then slept like a baby at night. My left shoulder felt pretty much healed so I was even able to do dips, one of my favorite exercises, for the first time in a month or so. I used the suspension straps again for crossover flies and confirmed my initial impression that doing that exercise with straps instead of cables works the back more than the pecs. Oh well, still a good exercise, especially when done after regular bench flies.

I also did some pull-overs with the straps and found that to be a nice complement to doing pull-overs with my curling bar on the bench, although the latter are clearly superior for isolating and targeting the tris and pecs, while the strap pull-overs work the back more--not necessarily a bad thing.

I've also added 'walking' or 'progressive' handstands with the straps to my Front ST workout, but didn't trust the shoulder quite enough to try those for the first time. Maybe next week. It's an exercise where you put the straps around your ankles while prone and then walk with your hands towards your feet until your feet are up in the air completely vertical, in handstand position. Then, if and when I get in really good shape, I could do some handstand push-ups from that position.

I also did some more mills with my new clubbells. Really good for the wrists/forearms. Bonked myself in the head for the first time. I guess that's where using whiffle bats filled with sand has its advantages--didn't hurt at all. Still haven't got the hang of the heart-shaped double mills. I'll have to wait for my lighter 2-lb clubs to arrive on Wednesday before I'll take a serious stab at those.

I'm mezmerized by this guy's expression while doing the mills. So utterly impassive. It's like someone is holding his children hostage until he completes the video. Thanks again Sid, for turning me on to clubbells.
Change of tactic this week, instead of going for long runs every other day, I am trying to run shorter distances during the week, and long on Sunday. Total km should be about the same, maybe a little bit more...So this week I start nicely with 7.7km (4.8mi). I also tried to increase my pace, some flat section I ran at about 4'/km (not for very long :p).

Sunday we had a run with a couple of BF runners, we did 6.7km, fairly nice and slow, George Carter showed us how a friend of his was running downhills to minimise the impact, for those musicians around, I call it the shuffle run :cool:, it seems effective, but a bit weird, you look like doing gallop
Andy, that's the schedule I've been trying to adopt. Two one-hour runs during the week, at least one of those involving some kind of 'speedwork' (tempo run or intervals), and a 90-120 minute run on the weekend. That way I get 48 hours of rest twice a week, and 72 hours of rest once a week. Seems to work for the most part.

Your shuffle run gallop sounds a lot like the way we would descend scree while hiking. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm going down a big hill.

I'm mezmerized by this guy's expression while doing the mills. So utterly impassive. It's like someone is holding his children hostage until he completes the video.

wow, that is sweet! Yeah, definitely works the skull in the beginning stages, too, I'm sure.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Ya Lee, I'm pretty sure I would knock myself out trying to do those mills or whatever they are called. :wacky:
Ha, yah, but my head is expendable. I'm actually more worried about wrenching my wrists or shoulders. That's why I want to make sure I got it right with lighter clubs before moving on to heavier ones. Once I got the movement down, this is going to be a great exercise for strengthening my wrists/forearm and for developing greater shoulder mobility and stability, which will hopefully help keep my shoulders healthy and allow me to finally start pushing the bench and military presses and power clean more. Over the last year I've come to the conclusion that not all of my problems have been due to having to get back in shape, some of it is due to having "old man's bones" as you put it, so I'm starting to take these sorts of mobility exercises more seriously . . . I may even work a few more kettlebell exercises in at some point, although I think I'd be better off working the Snatch and Clean & Jerk back in to my weighty repertoire. Haven't done those in 20 years . . .

I'm mezmerized by this guy's expression while doing the mills. So utterly impassive. It's like someone is holding his children hostage until he completes the video.

Whoa.
And the drum beating in the background. Maybe more like a ritual; if he doesn't get it just right, it will never rain in his village again, the crops will not grow and he will be burned a the stake. He should do the whole video again with face paint, but not enough to hide his expression.

Ah, yes, just like the spring peeper frogs in the wetland out back, the first crocus to bloom, the first signs of yellow-green on the weeping willows...I always know that spring has finally begun when I start seeing those on my campus runs.
Whoa.
And the drum beating in the background. Maybe more like a ritual; if he doesn't get it just right, it will never rain in his village again, the crops will not grow and he will be burned a the stake. He should do the whole video again with face paint, but not enough to hide his expression.
You're on a roll today S. Cedastic. Keep up the good work!

just about 3 miles this morning, stuck in moc3s and socks until my raw skin heals. icy snowy pellets in my face, slushy thin coating on the ground, wind in my face on the way back. felt either hard core or foolish for being out in that with my nasty little cold virus.
when I got home,
husband says "its supposed to snow today"
I say "it is right now"
he says "there's nothing on the radar right now. It's coming in later"
I say "there were snowy icy pellets in my face" (my clothes and hair were also wet)
he says "well it must not be enough to show up on the radar"
i say "it was hitting my face steadily. more than a little bit"
he gave up trying to argue with my irrational insistence that it was snowing.

it's like the night last fall i ran 10 mi in the rain cuz my phone radar said it wasn't raining so i kept telling myself it was misty fog.

~30 minute swim again. Took it easy. Felt better this time afterwards, though, so I'm assuming the cooties are being vanquished.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon