Mileage Reporting 11th Week of 2013

An hour and fifteen minutes of ST chest, triceps and biceps. I cut out 45 seconds to a minute of the breaks today between sets and shaved about 15 minutes off total. Was on a short time frame as we had to run and pick up my sons prescription before we went to the gym so was running short on time. Feeling pretty good. Oh, and I've been using that myfitnesspal app for my phone. That thing is amazing (and that's coming from a tech idiot)! It's so easy for me to figure out my caloric needs everyday. I'm losing weight and not starving. Big plus for me! If I'm hungry I'm not staying on a healthier diet either. Actually, it turned out I was basically starving myself before on days when I worked out. This was why I was getting dizzy and mass headaches and not able to focus on things much. Amazing what happens when you eat the right amount of calories in a day. So far in a week I have lost just over 3 lbs. Let's hope this keeps up because I have a lot of fat to lose!

Oh, and I've been using that myfitnesspal app for my phone. That thing is amazing (and that's coming from a tech idiot)! It's so easy for me to figure out my caloric needs everyday.

Suonds great, Nick. I'm going to check it out!

It's free too Willie which is even better. The only thing, and I mean the only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't adjust calories for weights so you have to input weights as a cardio exercise. I have an account on fitday so I just figure out my calorie expenditure from my two days of weights in there and then plug that number into myfitnesspal as cardio. Hopefully at some point they will get that figured out so I don't have to use that work around. My buddy here also has this app and has lost 3 lbs himself in the same 6 day period as me. That speaks volumes to me that we both are losing weight from it. I love the barcode scanner on it and that it seems to have any restaurant I go to food on it. This makes it easy for calculating my total calories. Plus all the different beer on it. Makes it really easy to decide what kind of beer I am going to drink for the night. Light and refreshing or dark and heavy. ;)

Andy, that's the schedule I've been trying to adopt. Two one-hour runs during the week, at least one of those involving some kind of 'speedwork' (tempo run or intervals), and a 90-120 minute run on the weekend. That way I get 48 hours of rest twice a week, and 72 hours of rest once a week. Seems to work for the most part.
Yeah, this is what my schedule used to be, trying to do 4x40' during the week, and long run on Sunday (maybe 12-15km, and increasing). I also intend to have one of the 40' session being interval runs. I'll let you know how I go

Today 8km (5mi), my feet feel a bit tender, but nothing dramatic. I forgot to foam roll my calves and it feels, they are a little bit tense

Did...I don't know - 2 or 3 or more miles. Was going for at least 4.5, but had to shut it down because I didn't anything before I ran (like I've heard of folks doing it), which led to a power failure of sorts. Mental note: What works for others doesn't always work for me :)

Tuesday afternoon
5.87 mi / 9.45 km
6.02 mi / 9.69 km overall
29 F / -1.67 C
13 F / -10.6 C windchill

The forecast snow again failed to appear, so my back-n-forth route in the fairgrounds was close to completely dry, albeit quite windy at times. I ran .9-mile cruise intervals on the back-n-forth street, which runs the breadth of the fairgrounds North-South. I did a quick stretch at the end of each interval, but couldn't walk much during the breaks as the windchill was progressively numbing down my feet, especially when running North. So it came close to being a tempo run.

By the time I had reached my target distance of about six miles, the feet were close to tapping out, although I probably could've gotten another mile or two out of them. Just as well, as I didn't want to push the legs, mindful of the ITBS ogre's distant roar I had heard on Sunday's run, plus I began to feel the slightest of niggles from my right MCL, probably from the greater forces involved in the day's (slightly) greater paces.

It felt good to get out of the LSD rut for the first time in a month or two and get the heart rate up a bit. The first four miles were close to 9mm pace, and one interval was under that. The last two miles were slower as I tired and the feet became number. I was actually under the impression that I was running sub-9mm pace most of the time, because whenever I looked down that's what the Garmin showed, but I was disabused of this notion when I got home and looked at the data. I guess I have a tendency to look at the Garmin when I'm running faster than normal.

Overall, a good run, and hopefully one of the last sub-freezing runs of the season.

3.5 mi, we're going to call this a "tempo" run, i think. Went as fast as my recovering lungs could comfortably go, since i was late out the door and I have to be back sooner and sooner lately (before 6am now. grrrrr)
1-2" of fluffy slushy, freshly fallen wet snow, wind, temps in mid 20s F, moc3s do surprisingly well in these conditions. My feet get a bit damp, especially when there is a slush-puddle under the snow, but stay warm with socks on.

Over the last year I've come to the conclusion that not all of my problems have been due to having to get back in shape, some of it is due to having "old man's bones"
Yeah, when I get up in the morning I'm stiff. A different kind of stiff if I've been exercising, but always stiff...

Reactions: Bare Lee
myfitnesspal - It's so easy for me to figure out my caloric needs everyday.Amazing what happens when you eat the right amount of calories in a day. So far in a week I have lost just over 3 lbs.
congratulations! I used myfitnesspal last year and found it very helpful -

Reactions: NickW
Almost couldn't bring myself to get out to run yesterday, I was sooo sleepy. But since I signed up for a 10K on Saturday, that helped me get out the door. I ran a 10K barefoot on varied asphalt. Had some blood on one foot, but it didn't hurt so I kept running. After I got home and washed up, I couldn't figure it out, either, even with reading glasses! I'm guessing it's just a small skin crack of some sort.

I'm going to try to forget about speed and just relax into my first barefoot 10K Saturday. I'm hoping it's not just 6.2 miles of rough country chip seal... mentioned my running strategy to 21 year old daughter and she said, "You're so cute when you pretend to not be competitive." :p

Yeah, when I get up in the morning I'm stiff. A different kind of stiff if I've been exercising, but always stiff...
Yah, for me, I haven't really noticed any difference in muscle stiffness, but my joints seem more prone to niggles and strains, and it's taken a while to accept this fact. Now I'm trying to figure out what reasonable expectations are for me at this point. For the ST, I have a pretty good feel for what my limits are, and how much I can push on any given day, but for running I'm still finding my way. I've never previously run more than five miles at a time, so I don't have a younger self to compare myself to in my current attempt to run longer distances. And I have friends who've already had knee-replacement surgeries (skiing and football), so I don't want to overdo it and have to go that route.

Now that my period of minor niggledom seems to be passing, I'm trying to use relative joint stiffness or soreness as a gauge as to whether I've overdone things or not, but it's not always easy to tell routine recovery soreness from nascent niggle. This morning I'm feeling my left knee cap just a bit, so I guess that means I overdid my faster paced run yesterday. I hadn't run at that pace since my calf cramp over a month ago. Probably needed to call it a day at five miles when I really began to slow down, but on the other hand, perhaps running that extra mile will contribute to my overall conditioning. I dunno. On the other other hand, my MCL, which has felt sore after the longer runs, ever since I reinjured it last month, has been getting progressively less sore after each run, and I haven't felt it at all all this week, so perhaps the running is therapeutic, or at the very least didn't prolong the healing process by too much.

As my Dad says, aging stinks, but it's better than the alternative.

"You're so cute when you pretend to not be competitive." :p
I'm kind of the opposite, and starting to regret signing up for races this year. I don't think it's going to be my thing, but I guess it can't hurt to try it out. Who knows?, maybe it will become my hobby.

Perhaps more than anything, I just don't like the idea of training. I'm really enjoying just going out and seeing what each run brings, ready to bail on the day's plan at the first sign of trouble, but having signed up for a half-marathon in August makes me feel a certain pressure to keep improving every week, rather than just taking the improvements in their own time, as I do with strength training. I guess if I already knew I could run a half-marathon, I could just take it as it comes too, but right now I have to do my best not to amp up the distances prematurely. I admire the relaxed attitude a lot of people at BRS take towards races, but I'm afraid of awakening my long-dormant ex-jock competitiveness and getting myself in trouble.

What did I miss? What did you do?
Not sure. Think it's from dry skin due to swimming, not moisturizing the feet, and the horribly dry and cold winter we've had(my fingers had numerous sores and cracks that I did work on more diligently).
I developed some weird skin crack on index toes, or maybe cuts, dunno. Then I did a couple of runs in sandals no socks in wet weather, which made the entire bottoms of my feet red and raw and blistered in parts. Hurts a bit even w/ socks on. Ouchie.
It's now starting to appear as though spring has been cancelled in my area as well. Gonna sign a petition to have it reinstated.

Reactions: happysongbird
I was actually under the impression that I was running sub-9mm pace most of the time, because whenever I looked down that's what the Garmin showed, but I was disabused of this notion when I got home and looked at the data. I guess I have a tendency to look at the Garmin when I'm running faster than normal.

Overall, a good run, and hopefully one of the last sub-freezing runs of the season.

yep, done that more than once.

Set your garmin to show your "lap pace" (mine is autoset at 1mile). It shows your projected time to complete that lap (mile), given the average pace you've held up to the point when you read the dial. It prevents the "check me out I'm flying gonna look at my garmin now before I slow down to reasonable speeds" illusion, and I found that it kept me going a little faster overall, because I wouldn't want to get "behind" whatever I started at.

Last sub-freezing run of the season?
Not feeling like that around here, and I"m south of you. Snow, 20s for temps, snow, more snow on the way.
I'm over it, and nature doesn't seem to care.

I'm going to try to forget about speed and just relax into my first barefoot 10K Saturday. I'm hoping it's not just 6.2 miles of rough country chip seal... mentioned my running strategy to 21 year old daughter and she said, "You're so cute when you pretend to not be competitive." :p

I swear I don't have a competitive bone in my body, but there is something about being in a big crowd, and the race atmosphere, and the cheering people, that pushes one to do more than just "forget about speed."

yep, done that more than once.

Set your garmin to show your "lap pace" (mine is autoset at 1mile). It shows your projected time to complete that lap (mile), given the average pace you've held up to the point when you read the dial. It prevents the "check me out I'm flying gonna look at my garmin now before I slow down to reasonable speeds" illusion, and I found that it kept me going a little faster overall, because I wouldn't want to get "behind" whatever I started at.

I have this option on my Garmin for a Virtual Partner (or racer, I don't remember). I set the pace and it will tell me if I'm behind or ahead of that pace.

I have this option on my Garmin for a Virtual Partner (or racer, I don't remember). I set the pace and it will tell me if I'm behind or ahead of that pace.

The lap pace is different.
Something about the "virtual partner" thing makes me angry. I've got that on my garmin too and every now and again I set that accidentally.
I just want to swear nasty swears at that little guy in the watch face, even if I'm ahead. Not in a cathartic way either.

Reactions: dutchie53

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon