Milage Reporting 23rd Week of 2013

Alive. Barely. After an 8 hour hike. 8 miles round trip. A 2100 foot elevation gain for a total of 6,100 feet above sea level. Oh, did I mention it was in 105 degree weather? YES NICK - 105 DEGREE WEATHER!!! It is so DRY here, that it makes a HUGE difference! There is no possible way to show nor describe how high up we really were! But those fools sitting down - they are literally dangling their feet over the edge of a 2100 foot cliff. I wore my Moc3s, Brine Shrimp wore his Dashes. 100 oz of water, 2 iced coffees, and 2 Polygamy Porters later...I think I'll live.]

So glad you made it up there, such a beautiful place. Kolob will be much cooler and should have a stream to soak in.

Reactions: jldeleon
Jen I think I would die in 105 degree weather. We were at 87 today and I am miserable. All swollen and feeling a bit sick. Gonna have to try to get out early tomorrow for my workout.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Went for a run late last night at my bed time again but this time it was a quite enjoyable run! I decided to make my feet man up to the neighborhood asphalt and decided to run until I was down to the rims if you know what I mean. Warmed up first by riding my mountain bike just under 4 miles to scan for glass on the road were I intended on runningand to make sure I was awake for the run. Saw no glass so headed home and started running barefoot and surprisingly the rough asphalt didn't seem as bad as I had expected. Ran 2 laps around the lake which is more than my feet could handle in the past and still was not running on my rims yet. Decided to make a run on the small amount of concrete road in the neighborhood. This concrete was rough compared to the paved trails I usually run. Ended up running 4.4 miles before deciding it was getting kinda dark. On the way home I decided to walk about a half mile for a cool down and ran into our vet we take our schnauzers too and she noticed again I was barefoot and said "Carey you must have the toughest feet out of anyone I know." I told her I'm working on that and asked her to join me for a barefoot run tomorrow night but she declined.

Sundays long run left my legs feeling week on Monday (I always take the stairs, was hard Monday! and Tuesday too). Decided to take Monday off from everything except my 2mi walk at lunch. Tuesday after work I was going to do speed work, but still feeling low on energy and motivation I did some easy warmup and cool down miles on the road and some trail running on my relatively modest trail with my unshoes. 8.3 total miles, about 5 on the trail that I averaged 9:40mm. First time this year I've run into someone else running that trail too. Might try to work on speed on Thursday.

This morning I barely got out before it was too warm for my bare feet. Combination of enjoying and managing 8 miles. Quite a bit of it (at least half?) was pretty rough; part of mile 8 had me almost walking - even the white line was sharp! Ran through a bunch of 1-2 graders on a field trip around the pond loop, so will comment on that in the what people say thread.

Ran 3.08 miles of hills in my lunas. Really enjoying running in my lunas and seem to be finding a good groove in them. I think this may have been my hottest run so far this year and it was pretty miserable on the uphill parts and I actually had to walk a couple times. Funny though, as much as I struggled going uphill when going downhill or on flats I was able to run at a good pace. Seemed my legs recovered pretty quickly from the uphill so that's a definite positive. Today I also did ST of shoulders, biceps, and abs. I think this heat is making me retain salt or something because last night when it got pretty hot I really swelled up and got bloated pretty bad. I already can't wait for fall and winter again.

Ran 3.08 miles of hills in my lunas. Really enjoying running in my lunas and seem to be finding a good groove in them. I think this may have been my hottest run so far this year and it was pretty miserable on the uphill parts and I actually had to walk a couple times. Funny though, as much as I struggled going uphill when going downhill or on flats I was able to run at a good pace. Seemed my legs recovered pretty quickly from the uphill so that's a definite positive. Today I also did ST of shoulders, biceps, and abs. I think this heat is making me retain salt or something because last night when it got pretty hot I really swelled up and got bloated pretty bad. I already can't wait for fall and winter again.
Are you drinking enough water? I swell some in the summer too, but only a little and not enough to call it bloating or edema. I never even had trouble when I was prego, but I do have trouble on airplanes the last few years.

Reactions: NickW
Are you drinking enough water? I swell some in the summer too, but only a little and not enough to call it bloating or edema. I never even had trouble when I was prego, but I do have trouble on airplanes the last few years.
I would assume I drink enough water. I drink 5 of my cycling bottles (28'ish ounces) of water a day. I never used to be like this till I went to Afghanistan, but when I came back I no longer do well in the heat. I get sick and dizzy and bloated and swell. I guess I just assume the extreme heat there messed up my body. Now a days I feel best in cool climates and 65 or so is about my limit before I start feeling like crap.

I would assume I drink enough water. I drink 5 of my cycling bottles (28'ish ounces) of water a day. I never used to be like this till I went to Afghanistan, but when I came back I no longer do well in the heat. I get sick and dizzy and bloated and swell. I guess I just assume the extreme heat there messed up my body. Now a days I feel best in cool climates and 65 or so is about my limit before I start feeling like crap.
:-( We all have our body quirks that make life interesting.

I used to get heat exhaustion when I worked outside in the heat--throwing up sick, headache, etc. It's weird. It was always the first real hot day. After that one "episode" it seemed to get better. Not great, just better. I always tried to drink lots of water, but it still came. One hot day on the way home from a job I stopped at convenience store that had Gatoraide on sale. Bought a couple and problem solved. I think my electrolytes (?) get off when it's hot and when I sweat a lot (boy, do I sweat a lot). Now I take a couple cold ones (Gatoraide, that is) for hot days with outdoor work.

Nice and slow 8km (5mi) today. The cold(er) ground makes my first 2km not very enjoyable, but once feet are warm, it is great..Another 2 easy runs this week (saturday and sunday), I think next week starts to get interesting

Reactions: happysongbird
4.5 miles yesterday Was planning on 7 miles, but due to stupidity on my behalve I had to shorten it. First run in heat here in Winnipeg, not enough water during the day, add to that only a granola bar at 6 am. I went out for my run at 2 pm, felt slow and tired, and also noticed my calf cramping. So I just shut it down and walked a mile to get home. Still better to have run than not a run at all. Thinking of running a 1/2 next weekend, my long run has only been about 7 miles with a weekly base of about 20 miles, with that in mind and no expectations I will go and run this if I can get a 8 miler in this weekend and go for a sub 3 hr halve. Probably will incorporate a lot of walk breaks. Way to low for a competitive 1/2, but than again I can use it as a LSD to ready for Minneapolis 1/2 in August. That way I know I can get a PB in Minneapolis. :) Lee, did you talk your wife into running this one yet? How about you Dama, still on?

3.06 miles today in my lunas. I couldn't resist getting out there even though this is the fourth day in a row of running. What's better, I had a hell of a day! Ran an avg of 10:01 over that distance which is really good for me considering I was pushing a stroller, it's hotter than it has been lately, plus I ran 1.53 downhill and then 1.53 back up. My first 1.53 miles was at a 9:43 pace so really wasn't that much off that pace on the way back up. Had a shod runner who had beautiful form pass me as I was going back up and then he must have turned around where I did because a minute later he caught back up to me and told me I had great form and he couldn't understand how I could run in sandals. I told him thanks and likewise, I can't understand how people can run in regular shoes like he was because they hurt me so bad. He laughed and sped off, but he did look a little confused at my reply. He must be one of the lucky few who shoes don't hurt him or he just doesn't understand that you can run without foot pain from shoes. He was a tall lanky feller though and he looked super graceful and had no bounce without over striding. He actually made me really envious and hopefully someday I will develop form like that. There's just some people who make running at that pace look easy and I am not one of them yet.

4.5 miles yesterday Was planning on 7 miles, but due to stupidity on my behalve I had to shorten it. First run in heat here in Winnipeg, not enough water during the day, add to that only a granola bar at 6 am. I went out for my run at 2 pm, felt slow and tired, and also noticed my calf cramping. So I just shut it down and walked a mile to get home. Still better to have run than not a run at all. Thinking of running a 1/2 next weekend, my long run has only been about 7 miles with a weekly base of about 20 miles, with that in mind and no expectations I will go and run this if I can get a 8 miler in this weekend and go for a sub 3 hr halve. Probably will incorporate a lot of walk breaks. Way to low for a competitive 1/2, but than again I can use it as a LSD to ready for Minneapolis 1/2 in August. That way I know I can get a PB in Minneapolis. :) Lee, did you talk your wife into running this one yet? How about you Dama, still on?

I don't know what I did to make the running Gods upset, they are surely trying my patience big times. Just when I though my running was coming along nicely, what do I do? wreck my back-again.
What happened? last Sunday we were at a picnic and this women, twice my size mind you took a step back and tripped and she was going down completely flat on her back and I caught her mid air, I brought her back up and what happened next? she goes down again, I don't know what happened there it seemed like she got dizzy and couldn't keep her balance so I caught her again and needless to say that my back didn't take it well so there you have it and to answer your question at this point I am not sure if I'll be there for the half. I guess I'll just play it by ear.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon