Marathon Dilemma?

I'd like to hear your opinions on this dilemma. I have been training for an upcoming marathon (May 27th) since about last October. Everything was grand and I was averaging 20-30mpw until the last week of Feb where I was injured after a 16 mile run. Fast forward to now and I have been running for about 2 weeks now, 5 miles total and then 12 miles total...I seem to be doing fine with the increase in distance and I plan on upping to 15+ this week.

Question is do I still attempt the marathon or should I cut my losses now to prevent a reinjury? I feel as if I should attempt the marathon because of two facts. I have already paid the entry fee and the fact that I think a person with average fitness could finish a marathon without training although it would hurt them a lot. I feel my aerobic base from the last 8 months is still there especially with the 5 months of Maffetone training that I did. However, I've never run a marathon before and my longest run before now was the 16 mile at the end of Feb.

I had a little set back last week when I attempted to do a speed workout but I found myself pushing off too much and re-aggravated the area for a few days. So I will probably avoid short duration high intensity intervals and stick to less intense tempo intervals for now.

Thoughts?

Since you already paid, I'd say go for it. You'll still get the free t-shirt! If you plan on running the whole distance though, you got to get in some 20 mile runs. Marathons are more a test of endurance rather than speed.

If I were you, I would go for it. Just take it easy. Treat it as a long run and not a race. You can always race it next year and see how much better you can do then.

No reason not to - what you could do is run/walk it (yeah, I know - not very sexy, but you can get the distance and not damage anything). Also, does the route have a 1/2 Marathon option? Worst case scenario, after you're underway, if you feel that you can't make the full distance, cut over and do the 1/2.

The important thing is to not force yourself to complete the whole marathon if you're injured - you'll just wind up screwing something up and you'll be laid up even longer...

I say go for it as well. First off, forget the speed workouts, waste of time. Speed workouts shouldn't even exist in marathon training, tempo runs are good, but these speed workouts really do nothing. I would try to get two 20 milers in for you max long run, definitely a 20 miler three weeks out before the race. Other than that just try to get to the starting healthy. Good Luck!

I say go for it as well. First off, forget the speed workouts, waste of time. Speed workouts shouldn't even exist in marathon training, tempo runs are good, but these speed workouts really do nothing.

Out of curiosity, is it that they do not work, period? or that they're of no value to mid- to back-packers (like most everyone)? I ask because it seems that most marathon training plans include some sort of speedwork.

Sorry for the hijack...

Out of curiosity, is it that they do not work, period? or that they're of no value to mid- to back-packers (like most everyone)? I ask because it seems that most marathon training plans include some sort of speedwork.

Sorry for the hijack...

Pirate, being a mid-packer myself I just don't find them to be productive, but instead more draining and welcoming for injury, this is just my personal experience. I am sure speed workouts definitely work but for the average runner they can be very demanding on the body. I like to run hills which from I heard is equivalent to speed workouts.

No reason not to - what you could do is run/walk it (yeah, I know - not very sexy, but you can get the distance and not damage anything). Also, does the route have a 1/2 Marathon option? Worst case scenario, after you're underway, if you feel that you can't make the full distance, cut over and do the 1/2.

The important thing is to not force yourself to complete the whole marathon if you're injured - you'll just wind up screwing something up and you'll be laid up even longer...

I agree 100% with this. In 30+ years off running I've done it this way a few times. Just last year I did a half with no more than a long run of 4 miles. This was due to injurie recovery and a lot of travel due to work. And to be honest it was one of the most relaxing half I have done to date. No pressure, no pr's to worry about. Just enjoy the run, good luck with your run.

As a new marathon-finisher(I popped my marathon chery in March :) ) my advice will be to try to squeeze at least one long run above 20 miles(30+ kilometers). I did a couple, almost all of them using the run-walk strategy(8 min run, 2 min walk) and that worked great for me. Also, because of using the MAFF strategy, I didnt do no speed training and that worked for me.
Our coach says that training for first marathon is all about making it pleasant experience, not chasing the result. The goal is to want to run it again, and thets what I succeded following his advices.
Best of luck!

Reactions: NickW
I'll jump on the "go for it" bandwagon with the caveat (that already has been brought up) that you need to hit at least one 20 miler before you race. I would also use a week and a half or two week "mini-taper" rather than a full 3 week cool down.

I don't think a 6 week injury would prevent you from finishing. I'd just re-baseline my goals and press. I'd be more concerned that the soles of my feet wouldn't be conditioned properly, but that's just me.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Sorry for the hijack...

I don't do speed workouts either. I hate running on the track. It is too boring. Plus, most tracks where I live are some weird distance and the walkers and sometimes joggers are all over the place on the track.

+1 for go for it, with modest expectations. I'm in a similar sort of position but without the "injury" excuse. Just scheduling and focus problems. I'm still planning to go for a nice run, a bit longer than usual is all.

Did I miss something? What is the injury. If you had recent problems then proceed with caution. Your next test should be a long run and if you have any problems then back out of the marathon. There will always be more races down the road. Sorry to be a downer, but you have less than one month to prepare (because you will want a little taper before the race). You should be up to 20 mile long runs with no problems right now, even if your goal is to just finish. I'd say build your mileage over the summer and have an enjoyable, injury free marathon in the fall.

Did I miss something? What is the injury. If you had recent problems then proceed with caution. Your next test should be a long run and if you have any problems then back out of the marathon. There will always be more races down the road. Sorry to be a downer, but you have less than one month to prepare (because you will want a little taper before the race). You should be up to 20 mile long runs with no problems right now, even if your goal is to just finish. I'd say build your mileage over the summer and have an enjoyable, injury free marathon in the fall.

Agreed. With the caveat, that if you are fine with walking like 3/4 of it than fine. I think anyone in good shape can walk 26 miles. Its the running that is the injury nastiness. I just don't know many runners who would be ok with walking that much of it without getting antsy, running and then re-injuring themselves.

All depends on what kind of injury you had but if it was just TOFP and it's all gone by now I'll say go for it.

My injury was quite ambiguous...Could have been Plantar Fasciitis, could have been Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome or could have been some other type of tendonitis. I have had two decent runs so far this week. Maybe I could turn this thread into a sort of play-by-play experiment my training up until the marathon. Monday I had planned on running 5 miles but I actually had to stop a mile early due to chaffing because I forgot to use some body glide.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/171244913

Then on Wednesday I did a tempo run with the girlfriend. (4.72mi)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/171908955

and I am about to head out for another run in about 2 hours...

*Update*

And today's run ended up being a measly maffetone paced 5k

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/172287570

Today I ran 7 miles that felt very easy on the body for the most part. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173062588
Next Sunday I will run 14mi followed by 20mi the week after. I will then take it easy the last week (technically 14 days, not a great taper I know) before the marathon. Based off how the last 2 weeks have gone I really have a lot of confidence right now for being able to finish without re-injury and still have a decent first marathon time without trying or pushing myself.

I hope that marathon day doesn't turn into a replica of this year's Boston marathon. I am built more like a sprinter and I am not the most heat loving guy. No blisters or wounds on the feet currently but man did I ever start chaffing again. I lubed up with some cheap lotion before the run started. That stuff didn't last long and I haven't gotten any Body glide yet. Mid run we had to detour to a CVS so that I could get some petroleum jelly to finish the run. Even that wasn't the best feeling.

I like lycra shorts that seem to prevent any chafing. But then, mayve I don't chafe much even naked. I don't know. I do know that I have to put bandaids on my nips or they go all angry and sore.

Vis a vis the prep for your 26.1, I'm in a similar boat, as I mentioned, with my first race of that length of this phase of my life coming up on the 20th. My 13.1 race today indicated that I need to get my distance legs a little stronger. I started petering out at 10 and 11 miles. For the longer race I will certainly moderate my speed, probbly to 9:30's or 10 m/m. Today's run was at just under 8:00 m/m.