Long distance advice please

My runs are getting better and better, still running in vffs , switching out to veevos for the odd route that takes me on gravel. My 10 k runs are down to 50 mins on a fast day, hills are going well. The issue is on the long runs 20 plus. I find the fronts of my feet start to get sore and to day after my 26 k at a 6.07 Pace per klick my calfs were real tight. The calfs I think come down to too short in stretches after the run. The soreness I'm not sure of.
Do I need to strengthen my feet or just give it time ?

I find that when I wear minshoes or sandals, my feet will be more sore after the run. Why? I tend to push the pace and I am not as aware of where I am stepping. If you are hitting 20 miles, your feet are going to be a little sore shod or unshod. As for calf soreness, I still get it after 17 months of barefoot running, but I'll take sore muscles over the sore joints that I used to get wearing shoes. After long runs, I wrap my calves with some ACE bandages. Rolling and massage work also.

Love your description of that Lee. I think it, just never dare say it.
And it's kind of hard to predict. Yesterday I ran seven miles and felt the delicious tingling all day long, even this morning it's still there, but last week I ran eight miles with just a bit of post-run, post-orgasmic tingle. I guess yesterday there was more mild chip-seal, and I ran at about a 20-25 second faster pace, so that might be it. I can hardly wait for tomorrow's run. I might try my first 10-miler and see if I can take the euphoria even further.

Back when I was running in shoes, I would suffer though the runs, glad when they were over. I probably had 3 bad/boring/why am I doing this, to 1 good runs. I have not had a "bad" run in months. I get done with one and instantly look forward to the next one.
Rick, I used to have that too. Now, back being shod because of pf I have not developed the dreadful trudging along feeling again. I wonder if that has something to do with the form and maybe your perception...

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7