Last Man Standing

Hi Folks,

I don't know if this UK series has been shown in the USA yet. I just caught the episode on iView which is the Australian ABC website.

The show is where they pit 6 top athletes against various tribal people around the world at their own sport, that is the tribal sport. The episode I just saw was the one where they go to Mexico to compete against the Tahuramara. They have to wear the same footwear and race on two teams. It looks tough but I think we at the BRS will see where they are making their mistakes.

I'm not sure if this link will work, if not try searching the ABC website.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/882267

Cheers

Neil

Same results here.

Same results here.

This is an old series that

This is an old series that only lasted one season in the US. There is a British version I believe that made it at least one more season. The first season of the US version had the contests running with the Tarahumara. I wonder if this is the episode you are watching? This was one of my favorite shows up until it got cancelled here.

Neil that link on youtube is

Neil that link on youtube is for the US version of the show that was cancelled probably close to 2 years ago or so.

Good find, Neil!  Thanks for

Good find, Neil! Thanks for sharing here. Can't wait to watch it. Makes me want to find the other shows in the series too.

It was a really good series

It was a really good series TJ. I remember when I saw that episode where they ran with the Tarahumara a couple years ago and I was so astounded that they ran in huaraches. I thought that was just incredibly insane, not to mention the distances they were running. It's hard to find full episodes though, good luck TJ.

Well, I hope I can find as

Well, I hope I can find as much as I can. I haven't been sleeping well lately, after the surgery, the pain meds (although I'm off them now), everything got all messed up with me. I'm not getting to sleep until 4:00 a.m., then I get up at 4:00 p.m. Right now, it's almost noon here, and I'm in between naps. Hee. So...I hope to watch these shows tonight, or this morning, or whenever there's nothing on TV at those crazy hours.

I found it on the link

I found it on the link someone posted. It was great. I love it that the young kids JUST RUN. I love it that EVRY ONE there runs. I fell in love with the Tarahumara when i read Born to Run. It is just simply a part of their lives. It is who they are.

Here's a link to the full

Here's a link to the full episode on youtube. It's broken into short 7-10 minute clips but it auto jumps to next clip which is helpful. My toddler is fascinated with any shows on running and he just sat through the whole episode with me very attentive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys-3SnL-Hvc&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL05636B02AC537E39

joohneschuh wrote:This is

joohneschuh said:
This is the most entertaining piece of Too Much Too Soon I´ve ever seen. :)

Yeah. Can't say it much better than that. Cool show but a fairly stupid idea to even try to complete a race like that.

There was also another series

There was also another series called Last Woman Standing where they have them competing against the Tahuramara women, needless to say the result will be of no surprise.

Interestingly in the mens version that started this thread, one of the guys had to drop out due to extreme shin splint pain. I could tell when he was running that he probably would have had a similar running style to me as I used to get shin pain. Simce changing my running style I have not had it in 2 years, now that is saying something.

Had a nice easy 14km run today, I missed out on the official Australia Day run as I was slack and still asleep when it set off, I was also worried about some blisters I picked up earlier. It was a great run perfect conditions 25C blue sky light breeze.

Neil

You guys are still in your

You guys are still in your summer, right Neil?

Hi TJ,Yes we are in peak

Hi TJ,

Yes we are in peak summer at the moment, February is usually the hottest month with temperature in the mid 30's to low 40's (I hope not too many days in the 40's, I have no air conditioning and sleeping just doesn't happen). Perth has had a string of 40C+ days, they have been suffering, I'm hoping we don't get them.

Hi Agnes

I don't think the guys in the video had the correct form to run in the 'native' footwear. You can surmise that the others had problems due to the blisters, if you have correct form you should not get blisters as you are lifting your foot off the ground not pushing off, the pushing off and associated friction will be causing the blisters. Just look at the Tarahumara runners, you can see they run quite differently, much lighter on their feet.

Neil

Thanks for posting this. I

Thanks for posting this. I like how they repeatedly thought they were just doing a long distance run and how easy that would have been. It would have been interesting to see them try the CCUM.

I only saw the 9 minute

I only saw the 9 minute youtube bit, but that was more than enought to see that it was going to get very ugly for the cultural voyeurs. I think the phrase that sprang to mind was "lambs to slaughter."

...and the Tarajumara involved were maybe the "civilized" guys who've been eating too much yankee crap, as the road cut into their village indicates.