Just Re-Starting

Ok, broke my foot in a half ironman in May so I have been swimming only since then. I am going to start running tonight. I know I cannot go totally BF and get my mileage in, even though I am going to stay around 3 miles the first couple weeks I am looking for input on a training plan to get my mileage and BF mileage up at the same time.

Good luck on your recovery. Sounds like a perfect time to just do barefoot mileage. My opinion, but I think you will be more careful with your foot and your progression will be just as fast, if not faster, then going back and forth.

I am not sure I can do 3 miles BF right now. I need to do at least that much a day. If I could do that much and do it consistently I would totally just go BF and not worry about my huraches at all, but I am a former fatty and need to get miles in so I don't blow up again.

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure.

3 miles post-injury is, most likely, TMTS.

And, yes, you won't get your miles in, but might I recommend running barefoot? So what if it's only 1/2 a mile or so. Make up for it by swimming or biking. With your experience level, you'll be back in mileage within a month.

Can't say I'm a big fan of your plan, but you're a big boy...

Good luck!

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure.

3 miles post-injury is, most likely, TMTS.

And, yes, you won't get your miles in, but might I recommend running barefoot? So what if it's only 1/2 a mile or so. Make up for it by swimming or biking. With your experience level, you'll be back in mileage within a month.

Can't say I'm a big fan of your plan, but you're a big boy...

Good luck!

What progression would you suggest? .5 miles 5 or 6 days a week then up it by 10%?

IMHO, if you've previously ran barefoot, you know what your limitations are and how you handle mileage increases.

But...

I would try 1/2 of a mile then rest a day and evaluate. If I felt good, I'd add 1/4 of a mile then rest another day.

Still feel good? Press for a full mile and evaluate.

So, what I am saying is, add mileage as long as you don't feel pain.

Day wk 1 wk2 wk3
M Rest Rest Rest
Tu .5 1.0 1.5
We .75 1.25 1.75 <------if feeling okay from Tu, of course
Th Rest Rest Rest
Fr 1.0 1.5 2.0
Sa Rest Rest Rest
Su 1.5 2.0 2.5

At the end of three weeks, you're nearly at 3.0 miles barefoot. All that being said, at the first twinge of pain, shut it down. Conversely, the first Sunday 1.5 went well? Try 1.75 on Tuesday, etc...

Reactions: happysongbird
I think what Rick saying that by starting slowly with BF running it would tend to keep you in check for TMTS. There is always swimming and biking as alternatives for running.
Thanks Dutchie. Yes, that's what I meant.

TMo, a couple more questions if you don't mind. Just trying to help.

1. How much running and barefoot running were you doing before being injured?
2. How long was your recovery and are you good to go?
3. What is your biggest concern about running 3 miles barefoot?
4. Why do you want to run barefoot?

I understand your need to get in that mileage. I used to be a little chunky myself. I believe that you are disciplined enough in your exercise and diet that shorting yourself a few extra running miles in the beginning won't make you balloon back out.

Thanks Dutchie. Yes, that's what I meant.

TMo, a couple more questions if you don't mind. Just trying to help.

1. How much running and barefoot running were you doing before being injured?
2. How long was your recovery and are you good to go?
3. What is your biggest concern about running 3 miles barefoot?
4. Why do you want to run barefoot?

I understand your need to get in that mileage. I used to be a little chunky myself. I believe that you are disciplined enough in your exercise and diet that shorting yourself a few extra running miles in the beginning won't make you balloon back out.

I broke my foot in may and was in a cast till 3 weeks ago. Took the cast off and have been walking barefoot pretty much all the time except at work since then. So 8ish weeks of recovery, and I should be good to go. I feel good and my foot does not hurt.

Before I broke my foot I was doing 3 miles BF a day on asphalt, putting my huraches on and finishing my runs. I could do as much as 6 miles BF on trails.

My concern about running BF is not to limit my ability to run by TMTS. I want to run as much as I can BF, then finish my runs in huraches till my feet catch up with my conditioning.

I like running BF because of the health benefits to my knees, and honestly the reduction in wear and tear injuries since I started. I also just freaking dig it.

Barefoot running has been one of the hardest things for me to achieve simply because of my severe Type-A personality. It requires patience and, historically, I have only been able to achieve that while hunting... And I STILL work on that!

So, be patient.

Everything will reutrn: miles, speed, endurance...

Barefoot running has been one of the hardest things for me to achieve simply because of my severe Type-A personality. It requires patience and, historically, I have only been able to achieve that while hunting... And I STILL work on that!

So, be patient.

Everything will reutrn: miles, speed, endurance...

So do you hunt Barefoot?? because that would be primal :D

Pilot pretty much said what I was going to. Take it slow now, you will get your mileage back soon.

These guys that have been around awhile know what they are talking about. It worked for me coming back from an injury in February. The progress has been amazing this summer.

"I like running BF because of the health benefits to my knees, and honestly the reduction in wear and tear injuries since I started. I also just freaking dig it." That right there tells me that your goal is to be a barefoot runner. BE A BAREFOOT RUNNER.

Cheers.

I still think you should do it barefoot Pilot....
Pictures would clearly be required to prove the feat....or should I say "Feet"

Well I did about 2 miles yesterday on the trail. On the last mile there was a lot of loose gravel over packed gravel I guess my feet had had enough so I walked back. It was a comfortable run though, didn't go too fast and actually enjoyed the textures.

Am I going to be able to run over the loose gravel? God that stuff hurt.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon