I'm ruined ...

This is an interesting topic. Ninety percent of my running is BF. I have been wearing my Hattories about once a month for the last couple years when my friends want to do fast runs on rough trails. I started training for the Toronto Marathon last month, and I am wearing the Sacony Hattories, because I want to run fast enough to get a BQ. I don't want to have sore feet mid race and have to slow down. I have found that on my long runs I now have heel pain that I haven't had since before I started BF two years ago. I am sure the shoes are causing the pain, and I hope I don't go into the race with an achilles problem. Winter is coming, and we have our Freezeroo races, so I guess I will have to adjust to more shod mileage.
Willie, do you find it hard to drive the car with shoes on? My wife gets upset when we get in the car after shopping I can't wait to take off my shoes, even if we are only driving a few blocks.

Reactions: Bare Lee
My wife gets upset when we get in the car after shopping I can't wait to take off my shoes, even if we are only driving a few blocks.

There's a simple solution to that problem...........do all your shopping shoeless!

You guys are braver than I am. I don't feel comfortable grocery shopping BF. I don't feel comfortable dining in a nice restaurant BF. My good friends have a coffee shop which I frequent BF, they say they don't care, however, last week some customers were giving them a hard time about my bare feet and since I would not like to see them lose a customer I will wear sandles. Sorry I guess I am a wuss.

Reactions: Sid
[quote="

So, NOW you tell me that shoe aversion syndrome (or, SAS) isn't a passing phase at all, but a genuine chronic infliction with which I must live for the remainder of my born days.

I'm really beginning to think that the publishers of "Born to Run" should be required to place a warning label on the cover of that book: "Danger. Reading this book may permanently alter the course of your running life, your social life, your work life, and your relationship with your in-laws. Read at your own risk."

[/quote]

That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the first "Matrix" movie, "Do you ever ask yourself, Why didn't I take the red pill?"

most people i've met who read it still run in boat anchors. most here i belive read it after going bf. i did. i know there are some exceptions.

I've been looking locally for the zems... I don't go downtown, but maybe I'll have to get over my hatred of the city long enough to go look. Tim, do you know if they have the trail ones that Willie was talking about? Those are the ones I would like to try on....

They did at the down town store, but it's been quite a while since I've allowed myself a play date there...They had a whole display of them, with a few varieties.

I found that simply wearing socks is painful!! Let alone shoes....Anyway, personally I found that the VFF are working for me when running on too rough a surface, it really is the closest to BF you can find. I am trying to build my feet to be able to go on any surface, but that takes a long time, but I can feel the difference after almost a year now, gravel is not an issue anymore

I haven't done really rough trails but have done some horrific asphalt roads (imagine half-buried rocks embedded in the roads, along with random tools). Took to wearing my DIY trail socks, which are Injinji socks with Plasti-dip painted on the toes/sole. They Plasti-dip will wear off so you have to reapply after a couple weeks. I still got great sensation but the pain was dulled enough that I could actually run instead of hobbling around.

I haven't done really rough trails but have done some horrific asphalt roads (imagine half-buried rocks embedded in the roads, along with random tools). Took to wearing my DIY trail socks, which are Injinji socks with Plasti-dip painted on the toes/sole. They Plasti-dip will wear off so you have to reapply after a couple weeks. I still got great sensation but the pain was dulled enough that I could actually run instead of hobbling around.
Know what you mean by horrific asphalt roads. Tools, funny, I've added pliers and wrenches to my toolbox, but have also tossed baling wire, barbed wire, sawzall blades, and fence staples off the road. Good idea about the socks, might have to try that out. I dislike socks, but can be a useful tool in some situations.

well ... I havta report, it seems to have solved itself (I mean, the original problem in this thread ie my knee pain when wearing foot protection).
By resolved, do you mean you are able to run with shoes pain-free, or you have resolved that you can't run on the trails barefoot (or, better, that you can)? Enquiring minds want to know.

I'm sure necessity will be the Mother of Invention! :rolleyes:

Well, it's proven a winning combination in the past :)

MOI.jpg

btw ... I had the craziest dream last night (not making this up). I dreamed that I somehow broke into Gail's house while she was on vacation, and stole an unplayed Les Paul that was hanging on the wall. It was beautiful. I knew that it had belonged to FZ, and I just wanted it. Maybe I wanted to make love to it, I dunno. When I came out of the house, hiding the LP under my jacket, there were some big tough dudes waiting for me. Friends of Frank. They, uh, confronted me, and got the axe back. I think I ended up with a broken nose and waiting for the police to come pick me up.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7