Ideas for a relay across America

mokaman

Chapter Presidents
Apr 3, 2010
Georgia
What do you all think about a barefoot relay run across America? On a future barefoot running day?

I know it would be a long ways off from now but eventually there maybe enough barefooters to do this. It could start off as relay runs across a state or cities.. counties etc.

Map added on 08/15/11. Add yourself to the map if you would like to be a part of this great event!

Barefoot Relay Across America (BRAA)

View Barefoot Relay Across America (BRAA) in a larger map.

Here's the steps to add yourself to the map: 1. Click on the Barefoot Relay Across America (BRAA) link above. 2. Go to the top where the main location field is (the long, blank field), and type your location (either your full address or just city, state). 3. Hit Enter. 4. The map will narrow in on that location. 5. Click the Edit button (top left). (The Edit button will disappear and a new icon group will be presented just right of where the Edit button was.) 6. Click on the blue place marker icon (next to the icon group), and place that marker on top of the red one that appears. 7. An empty text box will come up. 8. Add your name and/or BRS member name. 9. Click OK. 10. Click Save (may have to scroll back up to see it toward the left). 11. Click Done.

i love it -- my only

i love it -- my only suggestion is that there should be no bureaucracy. no 501c3, no fundraising, no insurance, none of that crap that will turn a simple idea into a mountain of paper. just a web page or a facebook page to organize the thing.

covering rural and western areas could be pretty tough though. America is pretty big.

might be best to start with a smaller goal like a city or state.

Why wait until the next

Why wait until the next IBRD? Why not pick a second date to do this on at some other time in the year? Are you going to head this one up, Mokie?

Reactions: Rich-in-STL
There wont be any head just

There wont be any head just feet! my feet anyway.

Just an idea to throw out there. It would be run/ran over many days/weeks maybe months. I'm thinking something very loosely organized...something you do just for the hell of it.

It wouldn't even have to connect the roads properly...maybe part virtual...who knows...whatever we could scrape together. Maybe just on going thing that never really ends just loops around where ever barefooters run.

And...so...then...you'll

And...so...then...you'll start the scraping? ;-)

I'm scraping now...we will

I'm scraping now...we will just have to see what kind of interest and ideas barefooters have on this... see if this idea has any feet.

Okay then, this is the

Okay then, this is the official thread for Barefoot Relay Across America (perhaps the world), so I've stickied this thread.

sounds interesting.. working

sounds interesting.. working on one side of the state and living on another, I could do part of this.. at either end..

Love the idea I am in. I

Love the idea I am in. I agree on no big bureaucracy. Grass roots and barefeet instead. What about if we all ran a share of the total mileage in our areas and had a virtual tracking with an avatar crossing a map of the US? Just first random ramblings.

Barefoot marc has givin me an

Barefoot marc has givin me an idea..Barefoot Kenbob may make a barefoot running tour around the U.S. this summer...we could race him as a group with our daily mileage to each stop along the way.

I'm in! You'll have to fine

I'm in! You'll have to fine someone willing to jog in place on the flight over though.

The idea definitely has

The idea definitely has legs. Count me in too please.

You could have each state

You could have each state determine the route through their state, the state or country they were going to hand the virtual baton off to, and where in the state the handoff would take place. For instance, Michigan could recieve or handoff the virtual baton to Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, or Ontario Canada at various locations. http://usa.zoom-maps.com/. I am in for some miles.

Sounds like fun. Can't wait

Sounds like fun. Can't wait to see where this goes. Count me in too, please.

I like it and am ready to run

I like it and am ready to run however I think the virtual thing gets cheesy. Why not organize an actual cross country run where people hand off in person. Make the thing real...stuff like this gets done pretty often and is all over the news. A virtual set up is great but really only does anything for us. A bunch of barefoot runners actually traversing the country could do a lot for awareness and build a lot of hype/interest in who we are, what we do, why we do it, and what we believe in.

The New Mexico Contingent is

The New Mexico Contingent is in! Abide, I'll hand off to you if we go east to west. . .

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7