How to I get faster on pavement?

clawhammer72

Barefooters
Aug 5, 2012
Fullerton, CA
I would like to increase my pace running on roads (or trails, but most of my running is just in my own neighborhood.)

Right now I'm stuck at about 15 minute miles.

Now, I can go faster. I've felt pretty comfortable sprinting for short distances on grass. I've even done the same on sidewalks and just on the road. It feels good. But, I don't really get how to bridge the gap. It's either the slow pace , or it's go all out for a short distance. I can't seem to find a comfortable middle.

Will running sprints or intervals on grass eventually translate into faster overall pace, or would it be better to do fartlek runs on the sidewalks I usually run on?

My end goal is to be able to get down to a 10-12 minute mile pace on my long runs. I'm pretty sure this is acheivable but I don't seem to be getting there on my own.

Just some background. I started running, and running barefoot, skin to ground, in June. I built up slowly over the summer, and now I'm running anywhere from 3-6 miles without problems. I've started running to work two days a week, and I try to throw in a longer run on Saturday mornings.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. :)

I started getting faster just over time. It sounds like you started running when you started to run barefoot in June? You don't have any times from running any distances before for comparison then? It took me about a year to get back up to the distances I was running before I went barefoot and then about another year before I was up to the same speed. Now I am much faster and can run farther.

I know nothing about speed, but June is fairly recent in the transition to bf running (from anything, running or not). I wouldn't push anything for several more months. If the slow pace feels right and you're not hurt, just be patient.

Some questions to answer that may help with the suggestions. How old are you or how many years do you have in cushy shoes? Have you done much walking around BF? Is something hurting? Skin, bones or cartilege? Do you get too winded? Are you trying to keep your heart rate down?

Running on grass is not going to help the skin, bones or cartilege adapt to running on a hard surface, but if you can do the distance it should help the heart.

I started out running BF fast, too fast--about 8 1/2 mm--and eventually slowed it down to about 10 - 11 mm. My feet were feeling way too sore afterwards. Now, a year and a half later a 9 1/2 mm seems really slow. But before I was running shod, mouth breathing and always maxxing out my heart rate and always burning out after a few months. If you can be patient and keep your heart rate somewhat low (try breathing only through the nose), I would guess that it would take a few years to get to a 10 minute mile and have it feel good.

I'm 40 and 240lbs. I've always worn shoes to school, work, and out and about, but I've also always went around barefoot at home and especially during the summers.
While I did start running about six years ago, in shoes, it didn't last more than a year. I had a really hard time aerobically, always breathing through my mouth and usually coughing up a lung afterwards.
I did start commuting to work by bicycle last year, which really helped my aerobic ability. Now, when I run, I can breathe through my nose, and it all seems very comfortable. I haven't had any coughing issues or breathing issues since I started running this summer.
Apart from two blisters when I was working out my form, I haven't had any pain that doesn't seem like normal, I've-been-exercising-and-I'm-tired-out type soreness. In the morning, my feet always take a whiles to loosen up, but this is nothing new.
I can be patient if I know that it will bear fruit in the end (even if that takes years.) If I keep doing what I am doing (ie. Running easy and comfortably, and slowly increasing my distance) will the speed come on its own? It just seems too easy, and I feel like I am not trying hard enough. But, hey, if that will actually work, I'm not opposed to it.

I can't really give any specific recommendations, but I was in a similar situation being at 230+ just a few years ago. I was motivated to lose the weight and didn't have any particular speed or distance goals. I figured that while losing weight, I'd just naturally get faster.

After losing about 70lbs, yeah I'm faster. (I'm not even sure that I could manage 15min/mile if I strapped on a 70lb pack!) Although I'm no expert, I get the sense that people set too many goals at once, for time, distance, pace, weight loss. Over the last 3 years, I've tried to be patient and just focus on one goal at a time. That's my strategy...

I'd say that pace is not your main problem right now. You are still in building mode and have a good deal of structural rehab to do to get your feet and legs into good running shape. If you are running happily and free of pain for the most part, be happy. I've read other smarter people than I am recommend that a new or newish runner focus most on form, then on distance running, and last of all on speed. To paraphrase Saint Caballo Blanco: "First, go for smooth, then for easy. If you can get to smooth and easy, fast will come by itself."

Another thing you can work on, independent, or rather, supportive of your running, is how you feed yourself. If you can change to a healthier, lower on the food chain, more conscious style of eating, everything else will move along with you and be easier. I didn't start out quite as high as 240, but I've dropped a bit more than 10% from where I started and have just a bit more to go. Eating better and smarter is a lot like running in that it's something I expect to take along with me for the rest of my life as I get the hang of it.

It's just a gradual process, first make sure you're in the correct weight to height ratio, as already mentioned. Loose any weight you need to slowly though steady exercise, good diet and proper rest.
As you get leaner and fitter your speed will improve, again the key is not to rush things, your body is undergoing massive transformations that take time to establish.
Eventually you will reach a good base speed to build from, its at that point technique comes more center stage.
Think of the whole process as a life time commitment more than a means to an end.

Barefoot running isn't really any different from shod running when it comes to getting faster. Sometimes I think we get a little to overprotective with the "go slow, avoid discomfort" advice. While it IS important to avoid serious injury, most physiological adaptations happen rather quickly.

If I have a client that's interested in speeding up, I have them run a little bit faster. For example- for this run, you may run at a 15:00 pace. On the next run, try speeding it up to a 14:45 pace over the same distance. Keep doing that for a few weeks. Improvement happens pretty quickly. It's going to be more difficult, but stressing the system is how we improve.

It sounds like your form is good and you know what the "I just exercised hard" feeling is like.

If you run a 15:00/mi for 6 miles, you should be able to try something like for a 6 mi. run, run 1.5 mi at 15:30/mi then 3mi @ 14:30 and 1.5mi @ 15:30. This will get you used to maintaining a faster pace, but in smaller chunks. Really, the warm up and cool down you should not worry about pace at all but instead keep comfortable and relaxed. The numbers are just an illustration. Go 2/2/2 on the distance if the 3 mile stretch seems too difficult.

Some pretty good suggestions have already been made. Remember, something different probably works for everyone and you just need to find what works for you. If you have only been running BF since June, I'd just make sure not to overdo it. On pavement, you are still probably building up your feet and ankles. I think that really, running is just like anything else in that you need to practice, practice, practice. And just like other talents, you can get psychological blocks. There was a time when a 10 min/mile seemed to be as fast as I could go. Even if it seemed like I was going to beat that pace, somehow I would fall short. I just kept at it and one day managed to break through it. Then moved to 9:45, 9:30, 9:15, etc. faster than I had been moving to 10. It was just a barrier mentally. If you find that with your current goal, just keep at it and eventually you will break through.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon