How did you find the BRS?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
I like to learn how (and why) people find us, so please share.

I was deeply in need of some sort of connection after starting to BF, and couldn't make my way through Ken Bob's site due to my own deficiencies, without a doubt.

Initially I was bummed because I couldn't join without a sponsor, or some such foolishness, but that went away and I've been here piping up with my .02 worth ever since. I think a wave of people joined at the same time, all of us paragons of the BF movement.

When I first started running barefoot, I went crazy searching for information online to learn more about tips, techniques, and how and why others also ran barefoot. I was also hoping to use the BRS as a way to find other local runners who were also interested in barefoot running. The community here was just so friendly so I hung around... and now I'm a chapter president??

I had known about Ken Bob's Yahoo group for years, but knew I could never run. After all, I had destroyed the cartilage in my major joints in my feet from decades of cycling cleated in tight Italian shoes. Matter of fact I could barely walk, and barefoot was the only way I could bike or move pain free. Knowing that cycling at cardio speeds may be dangerous in bare feet, I began doing daily longboard workouts barefoot at high heart rates switching stance often and equally.
One Winter I broke down and joined a store front budget gym and started elipticising. which I also had to do barefoot. Busted I tried socks, no go. Google searching for minimalist shoes I found the RW forums and a FeelMax Panka discussion. Originally I planned on meeting everybody at Jason's well organized seminar and record attempt in Grand Rapids four years ago this month and longboarding the 5K (it's allowed at the Fifth Third River Run for some reason), but Dama and TJ talked me into giving running a try. Couldn't believe it worked! I now also cycle at real speeds barefoot, just not in packs with others.
When everyone that mattered started moving over here I came too!
Some people took a while, but those that never made the switch were boring anyways.

What a story, LB! To your health!

Years ago, shod running injuries got me to RW and LPJ, then KenBob, then BRS. Thank you all. Blessings to all. <3

Researching running footwear as I had heel problems after long distance backpacking (due, I know now, to heel striking for 500 miles solid!). I wanted to get back into running but wasn't sure how I could without aggravating my heel problem. Research led to thinking about minimalist then onto barefoot (never have liked wearing shoes anyway!) and so onto this web site :)

Originally, the FBI sent me to infiltrate and begin disseminating disinformation about the dangers of barefoot running, and encourage splinter factions, such as barefoot purists versus minimalists or cadence counters versus 'just run'ers, with false flags and broken glass implanted in discussion groups, just as it had done at RW (Nike is a major campaign contributor to both parties, second only to Goldman Sachs). I even hijacked a thread all the way to Cuba once as a misdirection. But eventually, something like the Stockholm Syndrome took hold and I converted. Once in a while operatives still try to capture and shoe me (they have even recruited my toddler's day care teachers!), but I always resist. Usually I can hear their clomp clomping from a long ways away, so I leave my public library computer silently and bare, and disappear into the "Hobbies and Gardening" section for a rendezvous with TJ's brother-in-law, who then wisks me away to the nearest safehouse or sandy beach. Do I have regrets? No! I am not a shoe size, and will not rest until all feet are set free.

OK, nevermind, it was Google.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090