Hi! From Yellowknife, N.W.T Canada!

Christopher Alexander

Barefooters
Dec 30, 2011
Hello!

My name is Christopher, and I am from Yellowknife, as the title says.

Well, on with my story ...

I began running barefoot in the summer of 2011. I don't know exactly when, or how it came to be, but I just had a natural urge to run barefoot ... free, of running shoes or anything. Just me, and my feet, against the earth.

Well, I set out one day to do just that. I began running in my backyard on the grass, and doing crossfit exercises, sprinting intervals, and I soon realized that my backyard wasn't big enough :)

Being in Yellowknife, my backyard also extends out into, well,

THE WILDERNESS!

So I figured I would start there. It might be difficult to explain what it feels like to run barefoot in the terrain up here, but it is absolutely wonderful. I felt like a kid again. And it all started when I put my foot forward and took my first step, on that warm, rocky, Canadian Shield. My foot felt the grippiness of the rock, like cheese on course sandpaper, I felt a surge run up my feet, and my legs, and a sudden urge to BLAST OFF from my momentary point in space and time.

There was no reasearch, prior reading, or instruction manual for me, I just started running in the woods. My feet suddenly remembered what I had known as a kid growing up. Pine needles were needley, bark was barky, and rocks were, well rocks came in all shapes and forms, from smooth and flat, to perforated and weathered like pumice. I felt, and experienced so much joy running barefoot.

Each time I ran in the backwoods, I noticed an urge to go further, faster, and stronger! I began sprinting on the rocks, and that sprinting led to full on 110% HAUL-ASS sprinting, on rough, pretty much trecherous terrain, yet I was able to keep my balance, and not fall once! Just to get you in my frame of mind, at no point was I ever afraid of encountering black bears, as I felt so confident I could outrun any beast that roamed these neck of the woods!

Well, as summer came to an end, and winter started to howl, I put my feet up, and decided to do a quick google search on barefoot running,

and the rest in history ...

Thanks for taking the time to read my story, and hope to meet many barefooters on here!

Welcome to the board!My name

Welcome to the board!

My name is Lauren and I'm from Tennessee. I had always preferred to be barefoot but was introduced to the formal idea of barefoot running by a co-worker who runs ultras in Vibrams. I began reading everything I could about barefoot running which led me here.

I've only been here a short period of time but but already feel at home.

Hey Christopher,I'm from

Hey Christopher,

I'm from Ottawa. I spent one summer (May to Sept) northwest of BakerLake, on the tundra. It sure was beautiful. Just to give others an idea of what it can be like in the North, we had to blast a hole in the ice on the lake so we could bath AND that was in June. You must have a short barefoot season. Sounds like you do a lot of trail running.

What is your plan for running in the winter? A lot of us throw on a minimalist shoe. Some even try barefoot. You should touch base with BarefootingBob from the Winnepeg chapter. He could give you some ideas. Pbarker from Calgary has been experimenting with a variety of socks. Me, I use a water shoe.

Our members are spread out pretty thin across the country (Can), but you just never know when/where you'll meet another barefoot runner.

===

Yellowknife is more than 1000 miles north of the US border.

Welcome Christopher,Glad

Welcome Christopher,

Glad that you found us, I think you will find this site a wealth of knowledge and information on many different aspects of Barefoot Running and other areas as well. The people who utilize this site are super friendly and very helpful, and no question is out of bounds (at least as it relates to barefoot running).

Yellowknife is a beautiful spot, I was lucky enough to go up there for work a couple of times a few years ago, and now wish I had the opportunity to explore a little more.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Barefoot YOW, I figured you were from Ottawa, as YOW is the airline code. And yes the Tundra is beautiful, I liked picking Cloud Berries and walking on the eskers :)

My barefoot season runs all year.

I've been planning on trying barefoot out on the snow on warmer days -10 or warmer. However, if that doesnt work out, I plan on buying a pair of insulated running tights, and the VFF Flow.

I'm not worried about the cold, the cold is my friend, I just don't want to get very bad frostbite.

Welcome Christopher! You

Welcome Christopher! You northern guys are nuts!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon