Hello from France...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Noodles, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Noodles

Noodles
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. France

Hello all,

Originally English, I moved to Normandy, France in 2008 to follow the love of my life :)

I've always loved going barefoot, and I always thought that I hated running... it hurt and I just couldn't see the point. So I avoided it. A few years ago, however, I met someone wearing Vibram 5-fingers at a conference, and my life changed. I never even knew that minimalist shoes existed until then. I started wearing Xero sandals as my everyday "shoe" all year round (I can't go barefoot at work unfortunately), and my back, knee, and hip pain disappeared. I am, however, thinking of making a card to hand out especially in Winter - "No, my feet aren't cold", "If it makes you feel cold to look at my feet, look into my eyes", "Yes I run in them"...

What?! She runs now?

Yes, about 6 months ago, I started running - not completely barefoot yet (except on the treadmill), but in my minimalist sandals. I'm obviously still very much a beginner, so I've set myself the goal of running 5km in 30 minutes for my 50th birthday in October.
    I'm here to unashamedly absorb your collective wisdom, as I'm self-taught up to now, going by the rule "if it hurts change it", and I'm keen to improve.:bookworm:

2. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

"if it hurts change it"

Perfect! That's exactly how it's done. And welcome! I hope you're able to find some good resources here. Everybody's quite friendly.

As for your former hatred of running almost all of us have been there. I was fooling myself into thinking I loved running but I was starting to hate it. I'm a really active guy in general so, yeah, of course I love running. Right? Why wouldn't I?

But I was mindlessly pushing myself too hard and focused on straining not training. In addition to taking the shoes off I've really become a better runner by slowing down. When you run barefoot you run easier because running harshly hurts your feet. When you run slower your whole run is more enjoyable. Then you run more because it's so enjoyable. Then you realize you're becoming a better runner as a side-effect of just enjoying the run so much more.

Barefoot TJ and Noodles like this.
  3. Tedlet

Tedlet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

That's a good back story Noodles.. Welcome...:barefoot:

Noodles likes this.
  4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Noodles likes this.
  5. Noodles

Noodles
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. France

#5 Noodles, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. BareFootHeath

BareFootHeath
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Canada

Your posts are those of an enthusiastic and joyful soul. Different perspectives, energies, and experiences found on this site are welcome additions.

Barefoot TJ and Noodles like this.
  7. Noodles

Noodles
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. France

I'm very touched. Thank you.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  8. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator