Heel & forefoot soreness

5t3ph4n13

Barefooters
Jan 29, 2012
So the past two runs (4.25 yesterday and 4 miles today) I've done have not been good. I was running on a blacktop track, whereas I usually run on concrete, and I found it really hard to land lightly. The forefoot and heel of my left foot feel bruised... in between my 2nd and third toes on the sole of my forefoot. What is going on? Why would I all of a sudden have bruised-feeling feet? I've been running in VFFs since last March and fully barefoot since November, averaging around 15-17 mpw and LRs of 6-8 miles for the past month and half, so no sudden increase in mileage. I have Morton's toe, but I'm not sure that is the issue since I'm only having soreness in my left foot right now. I'm thisclose to ordering some new Vibrams.

My guess is that it isn't actually bruising. The fact that you moved off of concrete and onto asphalt is (probably) the cause. Your plantar skin is adapting to the added stress of the rougher surface and, from what you've described, your experiencing a bit of "sole soreness".
I wouldn't worry too much. Take a day off and you should notice the soreness going away. I still get it to this day if I hit chip-n-seal or some gravel. I will still run back-to-back, but if it actually hurts, I'll rest a day wether it was scheduled or not.
Cheers,

Stephanie,
I know that you are training for a marathon, so you want to keep progressing on your mileage, but I think looking for a variety of running surfaces might help. Even just a few minutes on chip seal, gravel, or trail will really strengthen your feet. Give your foot a rest and try it again. If you are still having pain you might have to stop for a while. I also noticed that you said your heel feels bruised. What might of happened is the rougher surface made your forefoot sore and you might have shifted a little weight to your heel. This won't happen as much when you build up your forefoot more. Hope this helps.
Rick

I do appreciate the feedback and I will definitely seek out varied surfaces.... It has been difficult in the past few weeks because of short winter daylight hours (I was running on the track because it has stadium lights). Thank goodness the time change is Sunday.

Smoother surfaces can make you "forget" that you are running on an un-naturally hard surface. I find I "pound" more on smoother surfaces. I think it's similar to the decreased feedback you get when you wear minimalist shoes.

Just a thought.

The track is not chip and seal, it is very smooth black top. My neighborhood's sidewalks are far rougher than the track I was running on.

Smoother surfaces can make you "forget" that you are running on an un-naturally hard surface. I find I "pound" more on smoother surfaces. I think it's similar to the decreased feedback you get when you wear minimalist shoes.

Just a thought.

I think you're on to something there. There is a tiny section (maybe 15-20 feet) of the track that is rough chip and seal and my feet felt better on that than on the smooth track.

Steph, I think you'll find that extremely smooth surfaces like the ones you've been describing are almost like minimalist shoes in that they can hide flaws in your form.
I'm convinced your soreness is due to a small error in form. Seek out a bit rougher surfaces (streets, etc...) and you'll solve it quick. Also, since you're marathon training, don't be a slave to your schedule. It's okay to skip a run or two if you're not "feeling it".
Trust me...

Just wanted to update- had a good run of 3 miles Saturday on chip & seal, grass and dirt, skipped my regular long run on Sunday because I was still having forefoot soreness, and have been running on the roughest streets/sidewalks I can find for my last two runs today (4 miles) and yesterday (3 miles). No more heel or forefoot soreness and I really am enjoying running on rough chip & seal and those sidewalks with the little pebbles in concrete that I HATED when I started running barefoot at the end of last Summer. I think I wasn't bending my knees enough and am trying to focus on that.

I was going to recommend that you get your feet onto some more varied natural surfaces but you beet me to it. Good! I'm glad you're finding your way through this discomfort. We're all rooting for you!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7