finally... first run in snow

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Well this year the snow has come very late. I think this is the latest I can remember that we got our first snow that stuck for at least a day.

Its also my very first run in snow ever! Well there might have been once or twice a tiny bit of snow way back in HS cross country I dont really remember. I know its probably not a big deal for y'all but I've always been a spring-summer runner and usually done by the start of hunting season in September. Today we had the first snow that was more than just a dusting, we got 1-2" (nothing compared to the lake effect areas today). I got to try out all my new cold gear as well (like I said I have never run through the winter before, and didnt have anything for it). Everything worked great, temps low 20's with bone chilling 20-30mph wind. Everything I have on was discount from Marshals, except for hat, gloves, vff & injinjis. Everything worked well but my feet still got a little cold! At least for the first mile then they did warm up and were fine. It was the toes in the five fingers, I dont think they are the best choice for snow. Snow got packed up a little inbetween the toes and that fabric is really thin there. A little slush too - made my toes wet. But after a mile I was fine. They gripped pretty well on slippery roads too. I also completed a 3x week at 2mi each run so now going to step up to 2.2 for my next runs. I had been at the 1.75mi range for a while because nov/dec I was so busy with things I was only getting out for 1 run a week and a couple weeks none, so I kept at the same mileage. I'm now back up to 3x a week now for the last 2 weeks and going strong. I still have so far to go. I had got bf in up until today though (mixed with VFF on cold days, but still a bf run once a week or so) but I think I am officially done bf for the winter unless we get an unusually warm day.

IMG_0425-1-1.jpg

Had to take a pic because it was my firs snow run 8) this is on the road next to my house.

hard to tell in the pic but I am giving you all two thumbs up ;)

Finally for Ohio is right? 

Finally for Ohio is right? What is up with the weather this winter?

You should make that photo your avatar.

Looking good Tristan

Looking good Tristan

Not as much snow here in

Not as much snow here in Columbus, but we did get a bit of the snow. I put on my NB Minimus-Trail shoes and did about 7.25 miles of trails with snow, ice, mud, slush... Temp was in the mid 20's.

I wore a long sleeve T-shirt, sweats, and a light weight hat & gloves. I didn't need any more than that once I got running. I was suprised that my feet didn't have much of a problem even though I was ankle deep at times in wet-slushy-mud.

I love winter running. I do not really enjoy the hot summer running.

We finally got down into the

We finally got down into the teens last night. Whew!

We have a high forecast for

We have a high forecast for about 22F tomorrow near Philly. Winds ~20mph with gusts higher. Truth to tell, I can wait, but will run anyway. I'm so bloody glad to get these runs finished. These are the runs that make me think the summer sweaty ones aren't really so bad.

Yeah the cold wasnt so bad

Yeah the cold wasnt so bad once I got going, like I said my feet did get wicked cold at first but did warm up. The biggest thing was the wind in my face, my whiskers were frozen stiff by the end. And my cool down at the end happend to be facing the wind and was truly a 'cool down' brrr!

TJ I've got a few other pics I might make a new avatar were I am truly BF. Just been lazy and havent messed with em yet.

Heath - I work downtown actually. Ankle deep mud doesnt sound fun... ankle deep snow I think would be fun though - you can keep the mud however.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7