Does anyone go bf all the time?

emptrsn wrote:So, I found a

emptrsn said:
So, I found a old pair of shoes, took out the shoe laces, and wrapped then around my 2nd toe and crossed them under my feet, and tied them around the back of my heel. They look like sandal laces, so far no problem.

LMAO, this is just too cool not to repeat!

Also, I just want y'all to know that the litigation craze has to be an American phenomenon. It doesn't happen here. If I'm dumb enough to walk barefoot into a puddle of pickles and glass shards in a grocery store, it's my own fault, and that's how a court would see it, for the most part. As far a I know.

Also (special note to saypay), nobody here understands lawyer jokes. Really. I've told a couple good ones before and was met with blank confusion.

It's insane to have to do

It's insane to have to do that but it works. Today I went into k Mart bf and I had no prob and without shoe laces. I now know the law and they can't get me lol. The law in Tn says no law against it, and no health law against it. Same goes for Virginia, which is one block away. The street called State Street has metal things on double yellow lines Tennessee/Virginia. You can literally walk across the street and be in Virginia! So, I had to investigate there policies too. So, now that I am informed from the State government offices, I shouldn't have any problems. I am sure there will be ignorant people who have no clue what the law is challenge me, but I am ready for them!

willie, I will let you know

willie, I will let you know if I learn any good lawyer jokes. Most people don't direct them at me. I'm a good person to know if you get arrested in Minnesota.

After seeing all the posts I'm actually surprised to see so many stores allowing people to be barefoot from a liability standpoint. They should fire their lawyers and hire me. As we've seen from BP, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

saypay45 wrote:Here's the

saypay45 said:
Here's the lawyer in me talking (which it does a lot, since I am a lawyer).

The no shoe rule stems in part from exactly what TJ mentioned. As a business, you have a certain amount of premises liability, meaning that you are responsible for protecting your customers from dangers both hidden and not in your business. This is mitigated by assumption of risk, meaning that if you walk in a store barefoot, you assume the risk that you will be hurt by one of these dangers.

If a business put up a sign and adopt a policy prohibiting people from entering the store without shoes, courts have generally held that the business has effectively warned people about the risks of coming into the business, thus making the person completely liable for any harm that comes to their feet as a result of an accident in the business. It's a tool to limit liability.

So, am I wrong about all that I saw on the internet? I guess maybe I just stop being a rebel and just wear flip flops. All of this is just so confusing? The State of Tennessee Health dept sent me a reply saying there is no law to go barefoot in establishments! But from your statement, you are still saying it is? What exactly is the law? Is my state lying to me? I mean give me some insight here. I don't want to be in the wrong, I want to be legally right!

All this time I thought I was

All this time I thought I was living in a free country, this is one step away from communism! I mean wtf, why are stores so concerned about people's feet?

emptrsn wrote:All this time I

emptrsn said:
All this time I thought I was living in a free country, this is one step away from communism! I mean wtf, why are stores so concerned about people's feet?

I know quite a few people who lived in former communist contries. Trust me on this, they had larger concerns than what to wear on their feet when shopping...

All I try to do is go BF as

All I try to do is go BF as much as possible. My Job on stage doesn't really work without shoes, and I try to only wear them when on stage. Right after I am back in BF or VFF's for loading and traveling.

For me it's just not work the effort to argue with someone everytime I walk into a place of business. Thin sandals or VFFs for me. Since I am a newbie of January, I am not sure what I'll do when it gets colder???

I guess I am just over

I guess I am just over reacting. I guess I should just be thankful for the freedoms I do have and forget about it and chill.

Bruno, you're right it's really not worth the effort to argue the point. I think it feels better barefoot, but it's all good. I have more things to do than argue with store owners over my feet lol! The only issue I had with it was people walking all over my rights, that's all. But, I am not worrying about it anymore now that i know how people are about it. Much more simple just flip flopping it!

I get what you mean now. I do

I get what you mean now. I do understand that. I guess I just figured if I can get away with it what the heck lol. I never have a problem at gas stations. I never have a problem in the mall either. Sometimes my beliefs get me in trouble and I guess I just need to relax and be cool about it.

emptrsn, there is no law

emptrsn, there is no law against going barefoot. I'm not talking about what the state says you can and can't do. I'm talking about the practices of private businesses. A business can set any conditions they see fit for people to enter their establishment (within reason of course, they discriminate based on race or gender for example). The state and Walmart are not the same thing.

I think that it's great that you want to go barefoot in these places, and if they let you then go for it. I am speaking from a corporate counsel perspective in saying that, at least a litigation conscious business will want and ask you to put your shoes on. It's not because they are "the man" and they're out to get you personally, it's that we live in a litigious society and not everyone is willing to accept that they are at fault if they get hurt while barefoot. I know that no one in this forum would sue a company for their own barefoot accident in a store. But you hear about lawsuits like that every day (remember the lady who burned herself on McDonald's hot coffee?). All litigation, even frivolous litigation, costs a lot of money. And those costs are usually passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices on goods the business sells.

I respect both your and Bruno's stance in standing up for what you believe in and going barefoot in stores even after challenged. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't. Do whatever you feel. In my opinion though, these businesses have anti-shoe policies because of their bottom line.

I say do what you want and

I say do what you want and it's up to these businesses to stop you. They don't have your interests in mind, so why bother having theirs in mind by wearing shoes all the time.

But when I am asked to put on shoes in a business, I do it. Not because I'm giving in, but because I know that it's often not the person telling me to put on shoes that is making the policy, it's the corporate legal department. Only when I know there is no such policy do I press my case.

Most of the time though, I just wear VFFs. Then I don't have to worry about anything.

I think many companies allow

I think many companies allow people to be barefoot for the same reasoning that you state, it helps the bottom line. Once you start alienating groups of people they become vocal about it and ultimately influence people from spending their money at their business. If a place tells me I can't be barefoot, then I make sure to tell them and their corp headquarters that they are losing my business. And I don't shop there anymore. Most of them tend to budge after that.

saypay45 wrote: But when

saypay45 said:
But when I am asked to put on shoes in a business, I do it. Not because I'm giving in, but because I know that it's often not the person telling me to put on shoes that is making the policy, it's the corporate legal department.

Usually not. I've found that pretty much universaly it's just the belief of the clerk or assistant manager, and that the corporate legal department is always much smarter than that.

A review of insurance carriers experience as well as history of lawsuits regarding injured barefoot persons proves that the shoeless customer represents a decrease in liability exposure, so the rules never really exist.

Small stores that set rules on the spur of the moment by a single owner/operator have signs and rules, but usually with them money talks and a prospective purchaser trumps any existing anti-barefoot signage.

Corporate stores are different, Wal Mart has no corporate shoe rule, but allows individual managers to set a dress code including a requirement for footwear.

Kroger has no shoe rule, but individual managers think they can adopt one, but are told that they can't by corporate.

Liability is not the issue, the barefoot customer has thrown away his/her rights effectivly as a review of cases suggest. Barefoot shoppers sueing a retail establishment for foot injuries have never made it past summery judgement in the U.S.

It's really the same as Willie describes in Germany: "You went in there barefoot? You got hurt? What the f#$K did you expect! Get the %^$# out of my courtroom!"

As a matter of fact, store owner could reduce their exposure by encouraging customers to leave their flip flops and heels at the door and shop barefoot instead!

Sadly, it's not our litigous society that is responsible for barefoot shopping being frowned upon by some workers, but hatred of bare feet is the real culprit.

Approximatly 20% of Americans are grossed out by bare feet.

They are balanced out however by a just about equal number of folks that think going barefoot is too cool.

The ambivilent 60% are just that.

Cite my sources? Long time members of the SBL that research this stuff daily.

I am still transitioning,

I am still transitioning, running some barefoot and experimenting with minimal shoes (currently using an aqua shoe). I have absolutely no desire to go barefoot in stores, parkinglots, etc. I run at a park on grass or an asphalt bike path. Its nice and sunny and gets rain on occassion. In other words it's a pretty clean environment. Going barefoot in a dirty, oily parking lot or store where people have tracked crap in...sorry, I'll pass.

miqie wrote: Going barefoot

miqie said:
Going barefoot in a dirty, oily parking lot or store where people have tracked crap in...sorry, I'll pass.

Hey Miqie, just curious, when I get home from walking barefoot in those places I wash my feet.

What do you do, throw away your shoes? I highly doubt that the grooves and cracks in footwear could get as clean as feet just by washing them, the thought of those things on my porch or foyer sort of GROSSES ME OUT!!!!!

Simple...I don't wear my

Simple...I don't wear my shoes in the house. I trust the relatively pristine environment where I run. I don't trust those other areas. Maybe I'm not the barefoot purist that some others are here. I'm in this because I'm hoping it will lead to fewer injuries for me as I transition to a healthier foot strike. It's not a lifestyle issue for me.

I always thought the store's

I always thought the store's are against barefooters for social reasons that may cause them to lose money in the future...like barefooters will make their store look low class or less upscale and some customers would not shop there in the future if they saw barefoot customers there in the past. Kinda puts us in the same category as homeless bums really...bums still wear shoes though.

I always think its funny if you carry your shoes in your hands thru the store no one thinks much about it.

Here the link to the Topless sandals that I wear to work on the weekends, these are only semi useful really and a bit gimmicky for sure. They do stay on the feet if they are very clean and dry when you first put them on. If you take them off you can't just put them right back on again until you wash them and your feet so they are real clean again. These draw a lot of attention also like VFF's do...so be warned if you try them.

http://www.originaltoplesssandals.com/index.html

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts