Does anyone go bf all the time?

nature runner

Barefooters
Jun 13, 2010
I go bf everywhere except work. Have to wear composite toe shoes, hopefully school will fix that down the road. I was getting alot of flack from grocery stores and so on about no shoes. So, I found a old pair of shoes, took out the shoe laces, and wrapped then around my 2nd toe and crossed them under my feet, and tied them around the back of my heel. They look like sandal laces, so far no problem. The only one that noticed was a girl at a gas station, she was so amazed, she just looked and said, well that is definletly different and said no more lol. I don't get why businesses are so worried about people's feet being bare, you put a shoelace on them and dress the top up and no comment, but my bottoms are still bare? Go figure!

i think it goes back to the

i think it goes back to the hippies running around barefoot and it just stuck. i'm actually being serious about that. back in the 60's they started the whole no shirt, no shoes, no service thing to deter hippies from coming into their respected establishments. i think over time people forgot why those rules were in place and began to think they were there for safety reasons so they still remain.

The signs aren't even on the

The signs aren't even on the doors' anymore. I guess people haven't caught up with the times. I am not a hippie, even got a flat top lol. Shoes hurt my feet and feel like it cuts off my circulation to my ankles. It is far more comfortable going bf than with shoes, then again I may be a freak, not sure?

I'm barefoot all the

I'm barefoot all the time....fortunately, my career demands it too :)...the only time I'm in shoes, is when I don the flipflops in my back pocket if I walk into the bank or a restaurant...I just don't really want the hassel of educating everyone :-D. It was this "quirk" of mine, that when I found out about barefoot running, it made perfect sense to me....before every time I tried to run, I would put shoes on (the only time I would put shoes on, because I just thought, that's what one does)...and it hurt, bad....so I did a little searching on line, found you all, and my days are all happy and barefoot smiles...

I used to go 100% BF outside

I used to go 100% BF outside of work. Now I wear the flops if I'm going in a grocery store or restaraunt due to receiving too many dirty looks. Most places, it seems the customers are more offended then the workers.

I guess I should probably not

I guess I should probably not be a rebel and just wear flip flops. I just think that it is just another way for society and government to take away another freedom to choose. I don't like for others' to dictate what I can or cannot like ya know. But, i understand what you all are talking about, it really is a hassel to try and educate morons on why barefoot isn't bad. I will not argue with them, just move on and forget about it. Tennessee is really not as barefoot friendly as one may think, I think the stigma about Tennesseans is why, there offended by the sitting on front porch barefoot cleaning out a shotgun joke lol. So if you're barefoot look out lol!

I go barefoot all the time. 

I go barefoot all the time. I have to. I can't wear anything that has a closed toe box anymore. Especially now after having cryosurgery for Morton's Neuroma. It even starts to hurt after a very short time in my VFFs. When I am in stores, I will either carry a pair of flip-flops in my back pocket or wear them, depending on my mood.

This is really one for LongBoard. He's a member of the Society for Barefoot Living. He says places like wal-Mart have no policy against it, so they won't and shouldn't hassle you about it.

I can see how a store owner would want someone to have shoes on though. If a customer drops a jar of pickles, they don't get all the glass cleaned up, you walk through it and cut your foot, you could sue them. An "Enter this store at your own risk" type of sign would work for all who care though.

I hear all the time about how we barefoot runners get upset because our gym doesn't let us run barefoot on their treadmills. Germs are normally cited as the reason. You know the story. One day last week, I was on a treadmill barefoot at the PT's office, and I looked to the side, lost footing position, and slid the outside of my foot along the inside metal rim of the converyor belt. You all know I hate the dreadmill and don't run on them, so I'm no hand at it. Regardless, I cut my foot down the side. My own fault. I know that. But not everyone would be reasonable about it like I was. The owner could be held liable in a court of law, and we all know it. The work-around that would make everyone happy is (especially since the germ issue is nonsense) to have barefoot runners sign a release/waiver stating that if they are injured, they will not sue.

And yes, Jimmy, it was the business owners trying to keep the hippies out that started this whole thing.

I am not a member of society

I am not a member of society for barefoot living, didn't know it existed. I am not a member of anything barefoot except this site and RR barefoot forum. I did know there is no law against it, and that OSHA has no health or safety viaolation against it, it's just up to the business to allow it. I guess if I signed a waiver saying I would not sue they may let me do it. But, would that be extreme? I am not sure how to pursue that. So, i just wear flip flops or string my feet with shoe laces lol.

I don't think that would be

I don't think that would be extreme. I think it shows that you want to be honest and work within "the system." They should appreciate that.

LongBoard has some rules you can carry in your pocket too. Maybe he'll share here.

Here's the lawyer in me

Here's the lawyer in me talking (which it does a lot, since I am a lawyer).

The no shoe rule stems in part from exactly what TJ mentioned. As a business, you have a certain amount of premises liability, meaning that you are responsible for protecting your customers from dangers both hidden and not in your business. This is mitigated by assumption of risk, meaning that if you walk in a store barefoot, you assume the risk that you will be hurt by one of these dangers.

If a business put up a sign and adopt a policy prohibiting people from entering the store without shoes, courts have generally held that the business has effectively warned people about the risks of coming into the business, thus making the person completely liable for any harm that comes to their feet as a result of an accident in the business. It's a tool to limit liability.

I finally got a response from

I finally got a response from TJ's, only a month later :) They say no but tell you to talk to the store manager...hmm?

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your recent inquiry.
Currently shoes are required to be worn while shopping in our stores, as
this is the best way to ensure the safety of our customers. However, we
do certainly appreciate your very valuable feedback, and we will be sure
to share your comments with the appropriate parties within our company
for future consideration.

We also encourage you to feel free to stop by and discuss the matter
with your store Captain or First Mate, perhaps the next time you are
planning to shop with us, as they would be more than happy to address
the issue with you on an immediate basis.

Sincerely,

Hazel
Trader Joe's
Customer Relations

I'm barefoot probably 75-80%%

I'm barefoot probably 75-80%% of my day spring, summer and fall. I kick my shoes off at friend's and family's homes, during a long drive (or short one for that matter, if I've even bothered to bring my shoes if it's just quick drive somewhere). I don't bother with stores, restaurants etc, I feel like I get enough barefoot time in right now it's not worth the confrontation for me personally.

The SBL www.barefooters.org

The SBL www.barefooters.org is the best resource, and having been a member for over five years I have learned a lot. Printing out and carrying the state letters from their website is helpful, but no guarantee. To supplement them, I have written letters to states as well as counties that I frequent, and have had good results.

Just a few weeks ago I wrote one of the largest supermarket chains in the U.S. and received an incredibly positive response. I am in the process of testing it's power, and therefore have not released the entire letter to the SBL for others to use, but I will post it here w/o the key names and phone #'s just as I did in the SBL.

Matter of fact, give me a minute and I'll also post a surprising follow up from last weekend.

BTW, I only use footwear while actively treating patients, as per OSHA blood born pathogen standards. I am barefoot 24/7 nine months per year (Michigan is not so barefoot friendly in the dead of winter) other than that, including walking into and out of my office, and in my business office.

My wife is luckier, she is a special ed teacher and her principal allows her total barefoot freedom in the upscale suburban public elementary school she teaches at.

Letters to follow in a few minutes.

So that letter should have

So that letter should have been plenty good enough?

I posted this to the SBL mailing list last Saturday:

We have around a dozen Kroger stores within a 30 minute drive of our home.
Today Diane tested one that we occasionaly use.
She does not carry letters, and is more of an "I'll just ignore your ignorance"
type.
Cell phone rings while I'm trying to hook it up to charge it from a solar panel:
Diane: I'm returning cans and bottles at Kroger on Orchard Lake Road and Lone
Pine and the manager told me I had to leave. I told him he could talk to you and
that he is wrong, but he called the police.
Me: Ask him if he will talk to me.
Diane: He said no.
Me: Tell him I called my attorney, and that HE is now calling the police.
Diane: Is he?
Me: Of course not, I have'nt had time to call anybody yet.
Diane: What should I do?
Me: Did he really call the police?
Diane YES!!!!
Me: Wait outside, and don't hang up.
Diane: He says he'll talk to you now.
Me: .........,,,......,,,,,.....,,,.....,The date of the letter I received from
the manager of operations? Why, June 1'st, 2010.
Diane: They just pulled up!
The officer: "Well why did you call the police then?
The manager: "It's all just a big mistake I guess".
The conclusion the manager and officer agreed upon:
The manager will complete the deposit container returns, Diane is free to shop.
She liked it (free labor) The cop was pleased (situation diffused)
The manager was relieved (man I did'nt know her husband talked to the boss less
this two weeks ago, I sure wish I would have just left her alone)
Now those of you that know me: Was it good enough for me?
Of course not, and even though I knew that a sunny 87 degree Saturday at 3:00
p.m. would not result in an answer on the phone # to the Michigan director of
operations, I tried the store I had my experience at, and got the manager that
was named in my letter!
Me: Hello Mr.#%@%&, we've never met, Dr. %$#*&r, I'm the guy that was
harrassed at your store a few weeks ago for not using footwear?
...,.......,..........,.........Listen, I was wondering if you could help me
out, my wife is at the Orchard Lake store and the manager has called the police
on her! I tried calling Mr. &^$##@, But he's not available, the police officer
and manager are refusing her full access to the store just because she is not
wearing shoes!
Him: Dr. ^%&$(r, I will call over there right now and take care of it.
Diane: The guy just told me that he was wrong, and that I know a lot more about
the law than he does. From now on I have my choice, return cans & bottles
myself, or he will do it for me, and the supermarket is open to me even
barefoot. The police took my name and address, and told me to be careful I don't
step on anything.
We'll see , but like I said we are expanding into the Kroger thing cautiously,
that store we had each been in barefoot before but only rarely do we go there.
Today was on purpose!

I think it would be pretty

I think it would be pretty difficult to pull off 100% even in the summer for most people. Besides work and stores it is doable really. I've went to work fully barefoot when I forgot my shoes a couple times in a large office building but I had flip flops at my desk. Stores are the bigger problem, I just wear flip flops in for the few minutes I need them... no big deal but I have been barefoot in Home Depot, Lowes and many gas stations but usually don't go into food places as I don't really feel like having any hassles since sandals are so easy to wear for this kind of stuff.

I wear stick on sandals to work on most weekends and everyone thinks I'm barefoot when I'm not...kinda reverse trickery

Edit:(I wasn't directing this

Edit:(I wasn't directing this post at you, Mokie, you just beat me to the punch)

Too much time on my hands?

Hardly.

It's all what you choose to do with it.

I did wear shoes (rentals) to our daughter's wedding last month, at her request. Even I don't think bare feet go well with a tux.

Today I spent time w/ our middle son who was home from college after I returned from work,(we rode 16 miles FAST on our mountain bikes on the roads, stopped halfway to dine outdoors at a bar/grill (me barefoot, same as I ride), ran 3 miles true BF in my all time record time just before that while he mowed the lawn, spent time with my wife, and our younger son just came in from class at his commuter university and is preparing a snack.

Friday I'll hit Diane's last day of school party, but she will come home first so that we can ride our tandem the 12 miles each wayn to the event.

The Burley trailer comes in handy now that the kids are grown, a real cooler fits inside it!

I'll race a 5K barefoot Sunday, (Father's Day), and be with my wife, at least two of our kids, and my 88 year old father.

Monday I'll work til 6:00 and then cut out early in order to attend Barefoot Ken-Bob's Livonia Michigan seminar, and then Tuesday I'll leave work REALLY early so that we can start partying early at the Jimmy Buffett concert at DTE Clarkston.

My point with all this blog-rambling?

You don't have to not have a life in order to devote time to preserving barefoot freedom & access!

Another one from May:This

Another one from May:

This one was kind of funny because I knew he was just BSing, but I wrote like I was giving him the benefit of ther doubt. MAN WAS HE PI$$ED when he found out that the health department wanted his name!

Dear Sir,

Oakland County Health Division does not have a requirement for customer footwear in food establishments. Please send us the name and address of the bagel store you mentioned so that we can inform them that we do not require footwear for customers as a minimum standard.

If you have any questions pertaining to this matter, please call or respond by email,

David Norkus

David Norkus RS MA

EH Supervisor

Oakland County Health Division

[email protected]

248-424-7187 (w)

248-431-0772 (c)

Complaint received: “Name............:%%^^&*&$%

E-mail Address..: *&^^%$#[email protected]

Subject.........: Retail Food Establishment Dress Code Enforcement

Description.....: A West Bloomfield food retailer informed my wife on 5-21-2010 of a health department requirement for footwear to be worn in food stores. Knowing that there were no State, County, or Township ordinances to that effect, she told him that he must be mistaken. He than stated that as of January 1 2010 a new county ordinance banning shoeless customers did go into effect, and that he had been repremanded by Oakland County Health Department inspectors in recent weeks for allowing barefoot customers in his store. I have searched for evidence of this new requirement by the State, County, or Township, and can only come to the conclusion that he was incorrect.

Would an Oakland County Health Department inspector really give a food selling establishment a warning for providing service to a non-shoe wearing patron? I find it hard to believe that an owner, manager, or employee would blame an arbitrary dress code on the existance of a Health Department rule, but then again he did say that he was warned by inspectors.

The place of business was a bagel store on the west side of Orchard Lake Road just south of Maple.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Dear Dr. *#le&, First of

Dear Dr. *#le&,

First of all, please accept my apologies as I was notified of your shopping experience at our Commerce Twp. store in April.
Store management and I conferred immediately after receiving notification of your concern. We counseled our associates that Kroger does allow bare feet in our stores and clarified that there is not a Michigan statue mandating the wearing of shoes in retail establishments.

Therefore, please be assured you are more than welcome at any Kroger store and hope you will continue to favor us with your business. Mike %^$#*ng*&^ is the Commerce store manager (2*8-3&6-&%20). Mike or myself are readily available if you have any questions or additional concerns.

Thank you.

%$# *&^%$n
The Kroger Co. of Michigan
Manager of Operations
Phone: *&5*-*&^%

"Statue" was his wording, not a mis-quoting on my part. I sure hope the state of Michigan does not erect a new statue!

Longboard, I appreciate all

Longboard, I appreciate all the info. I need to do some research.

Mokaman, what are stick on sandals, and where do they come from, never heard of them?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7