Critique my form please

Lol! B&A is a pretty accomplished runner according to Jason so I'm willing to listen to his advice. Hardest part for me is trying to understand what he is saying. I'm not elite and not very edicated with running terminology and lingo so... ;)

Lol! B&A is a pretty accomplished runner according to Jason so I'm willing to listen to his advice. Hardest part for me is trying to understand what he is saying. I'm not elite and not very edicated with running terminology and lingo so... ;)
Yah, he's a sub-four-minute miler. And like I said, based on what little I understand about all this, I thought his analysis of your form was spot on. I just like giving him a hard time . . .

I have pf and for a little bit there the only thing that made it feel better was wearing the shoes. By normal shoddies standards these shoes are considered minimalist shoes, but by our standards here they are as bad as full blown supportive sneakers. Funny how far apart our thinking is on shoes. I do seem to be able to spend large parts of the day without footwear again now though, although I think I decided I am going to primarily run in huaraches from now on. I don't enjoy chip seal like some folks and I sure don't like rocks and gravel. I do love running barefoot on the local trails and through mud and water though.

Reactions: Sid
Nick,

In both your walk and your run you are leading to forcefully with the legs rather than leading with your body center/mass/weight. Due to this way of moving your body you are putting more stress on your feet, legs and body than necessary. As mentioned already, the main reason for pointing this out to you is because you are suffering with an overuse injury. That means something needs to change. To get to the holy grail of efficient movement it is going to take abit more thought and experimentation on your part. Personally this medium is not the ideal to help you get to the goal most quickly. Is there any chance you can get to Skype?

Nick,

In both your walk and your run you are leading to forcefully with the legs rather than leading with your body center/mass/weight. Due to this way of moving your body you are putting more stress on your feet, legs and body than necessary. As mentioned already, the main reason for pointing this out to you is because you are suffering with an overuse injury. That means something needs to change. To get to the holy grail of efficient movement it is going to take abit more thought and experimentation on your part. Personally this medium is not the ideal to help you get to the goal most quickly. Is there any chance you can get to Skype?
I'm not really able to skype for a little while, maybe another week or so.

I am normally not that stiff at all B&A as it appears in the walking videos. Are you implying I need to lean more? I also noticed what looks like the camera angle is off on the run2 video. This makes it look like I am leaning backwards. Only reason I noticed it as camera angle and not me is because that ground is as flat as flat can get yet in the video looks sloped. None the less if you think I need to lean more or can explain yourself in a manner that my simpleton mind can understand I will gladly give your advice a try. Or better yet do you know of a video or example I can look at so I can see exactly what you mean? Sometimes seeing an example of what I need to be doing can really help.

when we run together i noticed you look like you lean back. i don't know why i never said anything. i thought it was just because of the stroller but i noticed it a little at the shamrock run.

Nick,

""""""Are you implying I need to lean more?""""

I would say "lean more". What I would say is you need to "lean with proper alignment". The alignment I recommend is head over shoulders, shoulders over hips, hips over forefoot(ball preferably). Since the lean is moving from step to step one will/can appear very upright at slow speeds but more forward tilting while accelerating and moving at high speeds.

Thanks B&A. I was running pretty slow in all the videos. Between 9:30 and 12 min paces. Today I ran for a half mile at a 6:21 pace and noticed I leaned farther forward than at the slower speeds. I will continue to work on this during all my runs though. I was also trying to work on picking up my feet sooner today. Between the increase in pace AND cadence from picking up my feet sooner today I got wore out pretty quickly. Tomorrow is a slow easy day for me so I will work on lean and picking up feet faster.

Thanks B&A. I was running pretty slow in all the videos. Between 9:30 and 12 min paces. Today I ran for a half mile at a 6:21 pace and noticed I leaned farther forward than at the slower speeds. I will continue to work on this during all my runs though. I was also trying to work on picking up my feet sooner today. Between the increase in pace AND cadence from picking up my feet sooner today I got wore out pretty quickly. Tomorrow is a slow easy day for me so I will work on lean and picking up feet faster.

I would highly recommend keeping the pace slow for now but cadence and lean at or near 180-190spm . Good luck and do keep us posted.

5"]You look good Nick, especially with the stroller! You look happy, relaxed and barefoot, what more can you ask for.[/quote]

He has lingering pf, I think he would like to get rid of that.

Thanks Gentile! Coming from another stroller pusher that means a lot! I wasn't barefoot with the stroller, but in my huaraches. The other vids without the stroller I was barefoot.

Now B&A, why keep the speed down? By keeping the dang speed down I developed pf (not sure if it's directly related, but it did allow me to run much farther much more frequently, so maybe it did contribute??? Overuse???). If I slow down I will also want to kill myself (not really but it really really really does suck to run slowly).

Nick, getting technique down at slow speed insures that you get technique down. It is also easier cardiovascularly to run slower pace. If you are getting injured or simply finding slow running hard. That is feed back that tells me you are doing it poorly and you need to make appropriate adjustments.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7