Critique my form please

Let me attempt to clarify. The role of our muscles tendons and ligaments is to support or postural alignment and recover our body for the next support. Staying on the ground longer than necessary creates greater effort to go a given speed. Since there are multiple forces involved it takes a specific coordination of the body to insure that the forces are working in harmony with one another. The end result we use the least amount of our energy and effort to allow our bodies to move/run. Better??

Not much, sorry.....maybe I'm a bit thick today. If I'm moving very slowly (as in your video above) using the least amount of energy may in fact have been walking. It seems to me it takes quite a bit of effort to keep my feet off of the ground when I'm moving very slowly. When I'm moving forward at a reasonable clip it becomes easier because I have more inertia, and I'm not just moving up and down (which is wasted energy). Jogging in place is wasted energy. Jogging very slowly is less efficient than walking. There is a point (speed) where breaking into a run is more efficient, and then the question is what is the appropriate cadence to be most efficient and avoid over striding, etc.

Lee's comment that your cadence was too high for the speed you were running was simply a subjective judegement on how you were moving at that particular pace.

Thanks for attempting to clarify though.

Hawk ,

""""It seems to me it takes quite a bit of effort to keep my feet off of the ground when I'm moving very slowly""""

That is a common feeling for many. It has to do with the quality of the leg recover and the awareness of the release of our body mass from landing/support.

Hawk,

""""" There is a point (speed) where breaking into a run is more efficient, and then the question is what is the appropriate cadence to be most efficient and avoid over striding, etc. """""

Cadence should be in respond to the loss of our mass on support. If we are finely tuned with our alignment and the loss of it the cadence will remain very constant. When one doesn't respond with alignment and the loss of it timely he/she will have a more fluctuating cadence and generally slower cadence at low speeds.

Nick,

Finally able to get my camera girl out for stroller video. Here is what I look like running with stroller :
B&A, it's really hard to tell because the camera is shaking a little, but it almost looks like your running on your toes... I could be wrong though because like I said it's hard to tell because of the camera shake.

B&A, it's really hard to tell because the camera is shaking a little, but it almost looks like your running on your toes... I could be wrong though because like I said it's hard to tell because of the camera shake.

Lol...it was my daughter's first time videotapeing, go easy on her. In generally it is difficult to evaluate running in regular speed. I almost always view videos in frame by frame software. I would classify myself as running on the forefoot not on the toes.

Lol...it was my daughter's first time videotapeing, go easy on her. In generally it is difficult to evaluate running in regular speed. I almost always view videos in frame by frame software. I would classify myself as running on the forefoot not on the toes.
Oh I wasn't giving her crap, I was just saying it was hard to tell exactly. It looked like your heels don't touch when running. Is this right? To my understand when someone is running without their heels touching that is considered running on their toes, but my basic understanding may be flawed or incomplete.

See B&A, I see more black under the heel than under the forefoot and it looks like the heel is "slightly raised" which I know those Lemings (Stem) are zero drop. Anyhow, it could just be that your heel just ever so slightly touches for such a very brief moment while mine will sit flat for a longer period of time which makes it look to me like it doesn't touch. Anyhow, thanks for showing this because I learn better from watching and doing then from verbal (written) explanations.

See B&A, I see more black under the heel than under the forefoot and it looks like the heel is "slightly raised" which I know those Lemings (Stem) are zero drop. Anyhow, it could just be that your heel just ever so slightly touches for such a very brief moment while mine will sit flat for a longer period of time which makes it look to me like it doesn't touch. Anyhow, thanks for showing this because I learn better from watching and doing then from verbal (written) explanations.

Yes, that is basically what is happening.

Hawk,

""""" There is a point (speed) where breaking into a run is more efficient, and then the question is what is the appropriate cadence to be most efficient and avoid over striding, etc. """""

Cadence should be in respond to the loss of our mass on support. If we are finely tuned with our alignment and the loss of it the cadence will remain very constant. When one doesn't respond with alignment and the loss of it timely he/she will have a more fluctuating cadence and generally slower cadence at low speeds.

Sorry, I know you're trying, but I'm not getting what you're saying. It seems like a very complicated explanation for something that should be relatively simple. There's an optimal cadence for each of us (not the same for each of us) at a given speed on a given terrain. If you're suggesting cadence is a constant at all speeds and terrains, well, I couldn't disagree more. If you're not, then I'm completely lost. Either way, it's probably not a good use of your time to attempt to clarify further.

Sorry, I know you're trying, but I'm not getting what you're saying. It seems like a very complicated explanation for something that should be relatively simple. There's an optimal cadence for each of us (not the same for each of us) at a given speed on a given terrain. If you're suggesting cadence is a constant at all speeds and terrains, well, I couldn't disagree more. If you're not, then I'm completely lost. Either way, it's probably not a good use of your time to attempt to clarify further.

If you don't want to understand what i am saying then yes it is pointless to clarify. In regards to cadence, yes it fluctuates but at small amounts when at constant speeds and or extreme ends of the spectrum.

OK, I can't resist.
There's an optimal cadence for each of us (not the same for each of us) at a given speed on a given terrain.
First I couldn't agree with your more Hawk.
If you're suggesting cadence is a constant at all speeds and terrains, well, I couldn't disagree more.
Second, the one merit I can see to maintaining a high cadence even at slower paces, beside the number one reason, which most people agree is to prevent overstriding (which is a largely unnecessary precaution for a lot of barefoot-barefoot runners, for whom proper foot landing /placement comes naturally), is that it may reduce the likelihood of injury, since there is less overall force application with short, choppy steps. But as you suggest, this may be less efficient because it may involve a suboptimal rate-to-force/power ratio. In other words, to run faster you apply more force at a higher cadence, but if you apply less force at a slower pace but maintain a high cadence, you will be overexpending energy to maintain the high muscle activation necessary for the high stride rate relative to the slower speed. Basically you're spending more energy churning your legs to go at the same slower pace, which is less efficient than a lower step turnover, but will suffer less impact per step, thus diminishing your chances of injury. I think B&A is justly keen to avoid injury, and the Pose method or other methods that incorporate the 180-rule may be more effective in this area than more naturalistic styles of running (which let the body's feedback mechanisms determine the optimal rate-to-force ratio unconsciously), but he seems unwilling to admit that a trade-off is involved in terms of efficiency/energy-cost. The 180-rule is probably best used by recreational runners running at slower paces who prioritize injury prevention over efficiency, although I don't know if there's any evidence to back up the theory that this will in fact prevent injuries. Perhaps the higher step rate brings its own risks, like greater repetitive stress.

If you don't want to understand what i am saying then yes it is pointless to clarify. In regards to cadence, yes it fluctuates but at small amounts when at constant speeds and or extreme ends of the spectrum.

Never said I didn't want to understand. It simply became clear we're on two different wavelengths on this topic, and it ain't goin' anywhere. I think we view this subject quite differently, which is fine.

Lee,

""" I think B&A is justly keen to avoid injury, and the Pose method or other methods that incorporate the 180-rule may be more effective in this area than more naturalistic styles of running (which let the body's feedback mechanisms determine the optimal rate-to-force ratio unconsciously), but he seems unwilling to admit that a trade-off is involved in terms of efficiency/energy-cost""

Could you elaborate on this trade off you are referring too? Thx

Bottom line.....you are choosing to end the dialogue to understand what I am saying. Not me.....
Actually B&A, I think Hawk just doesn't understand what the heck your talking about, kinda like I really don't either. I had to see the video of you running for example, to see what you were wanting me to change. Sometimes the jargon and way people use words confuses the hell out of others, and rather than keep asking huh, I don't get it Hawk is choosing to say, it's alright, you have your method and I have mine.

Hawk,

""" Either way, it's probably not a good use of your time to attempt to clarify further"""

If this doesn't mean you want to end the dialogue please clarify? As for what I spend my time doing let me worry about that. Thx.

Actually B&A, I think Hawk just doesn't understand what the heck your talking about, kinda like I really don't either. I had to see the video of you running for example, to see what you were wanting me to change. Sometimes the jargon and way people use words confuses the hell out of others, and rather than keep asking huh, I don't get it Hawk is choosing to say, it's alright, you have your method and I have mine.

For the record I am not confused with our discussion. If and when I don't understand something I ask questions until I get it. I don't just throw my hands in the air and give up. That's just me though.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090