Critique my form please

Man Dutchie, that's a lot of abuse!
It's a lot of abuse to the lower extremities... I've had a lot of injuries, two back surgeries, countless ankle sprains, tore all the muscles or tendons or whatever across the arch of one foot from the inside of the foot to the outside, itb pain, shattered elbow that required 3 reconstructive surgeries, and a broken nose that required surgery and I still have problems breathing through. I could go on and on but the rest I think probably do not effect my running much...

What can I say, Type "A" personality. I was also one one of the sink or swim guys. Sometime people start talking about what they would do different if they had to live their life over, I just smile and say "no thank thank you, I don't think my luck will hold out long enough to survive it the second time". But it was alway go big or go home. There were another few atv racing accidents that required stitches or braces, but what the hell, you only live once. That is why I started running barefoot, it is safer. :D

It's a lot of abuse to the lower extremities... I've had a lot of injuries, two back surgeries, countless ankle sprains, tore all the muscles or tendons or whatever across the arch of one foot from the inside of the foot to the outside, itb pain, shattered elbow that required 3 reconstructive surgeries, and a broken nose that required surgery and I still have problems breathing through. I could go on and on but the rest I think probably do not effect my running much...
Sounds like you are doing great getting back into shape Nick. I was in hospital for the 2 weeks following the heel and ankle fractures. The doctor who looked after me worked with my wife who was a crn of all things, ortho surgery. When he saw me in the er he must have already talked to my wife and his first words were, " well, might as well get rid of the shoes as your running days are done". great advice, got rid of the shoes, but I am still running though. Saw him at a Xmas party recently and told him that I was back to running halfs, and he just shook his head in disbelief. :D

Nick and Dutchie you guys are reminding me of that scene in Jaws now, between the captain and the marine biologist comparing scars. I feel so inadequate now--no structural damage until recently, and minor at that.
I'm with Dutchie, I lived a hard life but I wouldn't trade it for anything and I certainly wouldn't change anything. I was a state champion wrestler and boxer, played football, baseball, basketball (was never any good at basketball but loved playing), spent 4 years in the Army as an Infantryman, and grew up in the great outdoors of Big Sky country (Montana) hiking, backpacking, hunting and fishing. I lifted heavy weights for a lot of years too...

Reactions: Bare Lee
Oh...and I have had a few small injuries over the yrs. Hit by truck while running in 1994, stepped on large rock while running in 1998, wrecked motorcycle in 2002, developed heel bursitis while playing racquetball in 2010. Body has done a good job of healing despite the accidents. Is think life's mishaps make what we can do more difficult but they should not keep us from expecting the best of what we still have.

I'm with Dutchie, I lived a hard life but I wouldn't trade it for anything and I certainly wouldn't change anything. I was a state champion wrestler and boxer, played football, baseball, basketball (was never any good at basketball but loved playing), spent 4 years in the Army as an Infantryman, and grew up in the great outdoors of Big Sky country (Montana) hiking, backpacking, hunting and fishing. I lifted heavy weights for a lot of years too...
Wow, state champ! If we ever get together, I'll make sure not to piss you off. Wrestlers are dangerous. I had a motorcycle accident just before college, could've been fatal, but all's I got was a twisted ankle and a few cuts. It might've been lucky; who knows what my knees would be like now if I had played football in college. A couple of college football friends have already had knee and hip replacements.

I think life's mishaps make what we can do more difficult but they should not keep us from expecting the best of what we still have.

TFR! :)

I am now an older runner but spent most of my teens through late 30s very active in the outdoors, initially hiking, climbing, mountaineering, cycling and ski touring purely for fun but then spent 10 years teaching others the basics of the sports (still a blast) with a lot of opportunities to over-extend myself with the resultant injuries sidelining me for a few weeks at a time on occasion.
Please don't expect that permanent aches and pains are necessarily a normal part of the aging process - as someone else wrote "We don't stop running because we get old, we get old because we stop running!"

Please don't expect that permanent aches and pains are necessarily a normal part of the aging process - as someone else wrote "We don't stop running because we get old, we get old because we stop running!"
Yes, it's true, I've noticed much less creakiness since beginning to get back in shape a year and a half ago. It's encouraging to hear you say there shouldn't be any expectation of any creakiness, as I was beginning to resign myself to it. The bright side of my suspected ITBS two weeks ago is that I'm taking flexibility-type exercises more seriously again, because a lot of the curative and preventative literature on ITBS deals with that kind of thing. I started trying to get back to doing the splits in the spring, then left it. I think I'm going to incorporate more of that kind of static stretching as well as dynamic stretching, er, I mean lengthening (it's lengthening when it's dynamic, and stretching when it's static, right?), into my routine. Just curious Chris, is there anything you do for flexibility and/or injury prevention? You're able to pile up a lot of mileage without issue.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090