can't believe how much my feet have changed!

My feet used to always be encased in "normal" shoes or boots up until a year ago. I think my perception of how a shoe fits as well as my feet changing is a big part of the change. My feet have changed, I can visually see the difference in my oldest huaraches and how they fit versus my newest ones, but I don't know if maybe I've just become so accustomed to nothing on my feet that when I do wear a shoe I am very sensitive to how it fits.

@DNEchris if your looking for a new pair of dress shoes I actually just got a new pair last week and so far love them, Vivobarefoot Ra in black leather. Only minimalist solution I've found so far that passes as a regular dress shoe. If you can swallow the price tag anyhow.
Thanks Tristan - I'll wait for the next "occasion" before I buy anything but I'll certainly bear them in mind.

Yup, my work shoes are just reaching the point whereat they get pitched. I started to notice that my feet are screaming in agony by early afternoon in shoes that are one full size larger than I used to wear. I haven't kept photo records, but I am pretty sure my feet have changed aspect considerably. I know I need to get those work shoes off and spread my toes or I'm just miserable.

...and Jen, I miss your blue hair. (Not that the orange doesn't suit you pretty well!)

Reactions: jldeleon
I bet some notice more of a change than others depending on their initial state - I mean some of you all have been atleast somewhat barefoot as a lifestyle for a long time right? Maybe going bf for running wasnt as much of a change? I know for me I was never barefoot, heck I wouldnt even wear sandals. I've noticed small changes but I havent got the miles on the feet like most of you all yet.

@DNEchris if your looking for a new pair of dress shoes I actually just got a new pair last week and so far love them, Vivobarefoot Ra in black leather. Only minimalist solution I've found so far that passes as a regular dress shoe. If you can swallow the price tag anyhow.
that's probably true Tristan. It might depend on how much of a shoddie you were before. Also, if I remember correctly, Barefoot Gentile was already a veteran runner before he took up BFR, so perhaps his feet were already pretty well-developed?

I would also endorse the Vivobarefoot line, although having 'barefoot' in a shoe product line offends the mild purist in me, and I haven't in fact bought a pair yet. There are two or three other Vivo models that look pretty passable as casual/office shoes, but are also pretty pricey. I'll probably get a pair when I start teaching again. Right now I got the Patagonia Advocates, which my wife likes, but which are kind of hot, and look more like a kung fu slipper than a proper casual shoe.

Lee, yes I ran in shoes for 18 years before taking up barefoot running. I grew up doing allot of skimboarding (which I still do) and that takes sprinting and running on the beach. I think my active lifestyle allowed me to transition to barefoot running with ease, and why I don't see a difference. I always had strong feet to begin with.

I have a pair of the Advocate's as well!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Lee, yes I ran in shoes for 18 years before taking up barefoot running. I grew up doing allot of skimboarding (which I still do) and that takes sprinting and running on the beach. I think my active lifestyle allowed me to transition to barefoot running with ease, and why I don't see a difference. I always had strong feet to begin with.

I have a pair of the Advocate's as well!
Thanks for the confirmation BG. Background has a lot to do with one's transition then. When I ran barefoot 20 years ago, I was in really good shape, and was training karate, which of course also strengthens the feet. Probably why I didn't have any problems then but had some this time around, when I started out-of-shape and overweight too.

What do you think of the Advocates? Do you find them a bit hot as well?

Hey, unrelatedly, let me ask Barefoot Gentile (and any other veteran runners) this: I'm now up in the five-to-six mile range, but I find I can run a slightly faster pace up to about the three-mile mark. Would it make sense to schedule one shorter run a week and see if I can push the pace even a little more? It's so much more gratifying to run faster. Perhaps I could try a schedule like this: one run max long (six miles); one run max velocity, shorter distance (3 miles); and one run hills (four miles--up and around a nearby steep hill 7-8 times). Or perhaps I could keep doing the two longer runs and gradually bring up the speed overall.

For me Lee, I almost always try to have one shorter faster day. I've noticed a huge change in pace on my slow days because of that. I know a lot of the Maf people will say no to this, but you do need to change up the slow and easy and incorporate higher intensity from time to time. Marc had a blog on it the other day that you may look up, it's still relatively close to the top of the list I think. He refers to a very good article on it that was very eye opening to me.

For me Lee, I almost always try to have one shorter faster day. I've noticed a huge change in pace on my slow days because of that. I know a lot of the Maf people will say no to this, but you do need to change up the slow and easy and incorporate higher intensity from time to time. Marc had a blog on it the other day that you may look up, it's still relatively close to the top of the list I think. He refers to a very good article on it that was very eye opening to me.
Thanks for the reference Nick, could you provide a little more detail on how to access it? I don't know who Marc is or to which list you are referring. Is it this forum? I've been spending way too much time here lately but don't recall seeing that. I'm not a Maf man so that isn't a consideration. Plus, I think I've already noticed some benefit on my longer runs from the hill running I took up three or four weeks ago, so I'm open to ideas on varying my weekly routine.

Thanks for the reference Nick, could you provide a little more detail on how to access it? I don't know who Marc is or to which list you are referring. Is it this forum? I've been spending way too much time here lately but don't recall seeing that. I'm not a Maf man so that isn't a consideration. Plus, I think I've already noticed some benefit on my longer runs from the hill running I took up three or four weeks ago, so I'm open to ideas on varying my weekly routine.

Despite the distinct improvements Mike the Guinea Pig has experienced in relation to MAF, I still lean toward this as well. And, in fact, I have started alternating walking and running, and high intensity hills with super flat, etc. There is some dude out there that advocates a sort of ratio of aerobic/anaerobic in workout routines. Something about like 70% of workouts a week should be aerobic, and 30% should be anaerobic, and all mixed up. I can't remember his name though. The cavemen did not only run aerobically for months and months at a time, it was interspersed with high intensity, so it makes sense to me.

Here's a direct link to it. If you wanted to find it on your own click on the blogs tab and then scroll down through the blogs to see it. http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/entries/great-article-about-low-heart-rate-training.920/

Jen, I don't know what the percentage should be, but I have found for me, optimal training means that I have to mix my types of workouts up. I can do slow and easy low hr for a month or two and then I have to start adding in higher intensity speed and hill training for a period of time along with at least one long easy low hr run. Then after a while of doing that I have to go back to just doing easy low hr runs. I really see big gains when I do this.

Thanks for the link Nick. I don't think I'll get around to doing the Maf method. I couldn't imagine running slower--I want to run faster. I hate plodding along at my current 10-minute mile pace. And variety, on a daily or weekly basis, is key for me to stay motivated. When I'm in a little better shape I'm even going to try wind sprints and see if I don't keel over.

I appreciate your comments too Jen. I don't think I could get into greater quantification, especially something as hard to measure as aerobic/anaerobic training. Although my current mix of running/rowing/weights approximates the 70/30 differential if you consider running and rowing to be pure aerobic activity and weights to be pure anaerobic activity, which they're not, but it's an OK guideline. Other than that, I just keep track of running/rowing distances, and max weights when strength training, and I'm thinking of timing myself once a month on a regular route to keep track of my pace. More numbers than that and the fun starts to dissipate.

Thanks for the confirmation BG. Background has a lot to do with one's transition then. When I ran barefoot 20 years ago, I was in really good shape, and was training karate, which of course also strengthens the feet. Probably why I didn't have any problems then but had some this time around, when I started out-of-shape and overweight too.

What do you think of the Advocates? Do you find them a bit hot as well?

Hey, unrelatedly, let me ask Barefoot Gentile (and any other veteran runners) this: I'm now up in the five-to-six mile range, but I find I can run a slightly faster pace up to about the three-mile mark. Would it make sense to schedule one shorter run a week and see if I can push the pace even a little more? It's so much more gratifying to run faster. Perhaps I could try a schedule like this: one run max long (six miles); one run max velocity, shorter distance (3 miles); and one run hills (four miles--up and around a nearby steep hill 7-8 times). Or perhaps I could keep doing the two longer runs and gradually bring up the speed overall.

I like the advocates, I don't think they are too hot actually but I haven't worn them lately. I think I got them a little to big, they seem a bit baggy. Do they run big?

I can understand the need for speed! haha. That was my main and number one goal when I first started barefoot, but learned that it was a frustrating one as well. So I switched my schedule and went more for distance and left the speed on the back burner, but as time went by I noticed the speed came without even trying. I think your schedule looks fine to me, I do the same thing. I enjoy running fast as well like to throw in short runs during the week, it's all I need at times.

I like the advocates, I don't think they are too hot actually but I haven't worn them lately. I think I got them a little to big, they seem a bit baggy. Do they run big?

I can understand the need for speed! haha. That was my main and number one goal when I first started barefoot, but learned that it was a frustrating one as well. So I switched my schedule and went more for distance and left the speed on the back burner, but as time went by I noticed the speed came without even trying. I think your schedule looks fine to me, I do the same thing. I enjoy running fast as well like to throw in short runs during the week, it's all I need at times.
It's possible the Advocates run a bit big, at least in the toe area, but they feel a bit tight around my upper foot. I like the groundfeel, that's for sure. I have hot-foot--part of the reason I'm a barefooter--so perhaps the uncomfortable warmth of the Advocates is just me.

The speed is coming on it's own, and I know from long-distance cycling that improvements will come no matter what I do as long as I keep at it. But it does feel good to get down closer into the 8-to-9-minute mile range, so I guess I will try three miles a bit faster, either as part of a longer run, or as a short run in and of itself. I'm slowly accepting the aging process, and am generally happy with my progress, but it would be great to run a five-minute mile again, although six might be more realistic. Also, I had my first trail run yesterday, and that was a blast. A very nice change-up although it's a bit of a schlep to a park with decent trails.

OK, enough of high-jacking this thread. Back to our regular programming on BFR-induced foot size changes. Here's what my Mozambican wife had to say on the matter when I mentioned it to her:

In Mozambique they say splayed toes, or a wide forefoot, indicate "thief's feet"--good for grasping and walking silently--and they admonish people to put on their (restrictive) shoes lest they get thief's feet. So foot-binding as class/status marker exists there as well.

Lee, that's hilarious.

Doing some yoga this evening with my wife, she commented "have your feet got even wider?"

Then she compared them to those of a duck-billed platypus. She knows how to flatter, that one.

Reactions: Sid

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts