Born to Run: hæ?

twinkletoes wrote:First, he

twinkletoes said:
First, he introduces Barefoot Ted as a character, sure, but for whom running only became painless and enjoyable when the shoes came off. Because my shins hurt like hell at the time I read it, I was captivated.

Shin pain is what drew me to the internet (and consequently BFR), too.

And BF Ted does come across as a nutter in that book, but a nutter who could run without pain. I don't care how eccentric you are-- if you're a successful runner, I want to know more about you. I'm not very good at running, and need all the advice I can get.

Exactly twinkletoes, and

Exactly twinkletoes, and actually if you go listen to him on tour he says the same thing. His most important message there is to focus on form, and to get back to enjoying the sport. He promotes barefoot and minimalist in order to get to that good forum, but doesn't consider them to be an end-all be-all. He definitely resists the notion that running shoes obviate the need for good form.

I started barefoot running

I started barefoot running WHILE READING Born to Run...Now that I think of it, I'm not sure anything but the "endurance hunt" evolutionary information + the invention of Nike and all silly shoes inspired my start. I was also ready for a new challenge, since I was injury-free. I wouldn't call it a bible or anything though. I don't own it. The book is far from perfect.

My biggest inspiration, after the BTR kick I got, was all the wonderful youtube videos with earnest people telling me I could run barefoot! Lol.

Also, barefoot Ted is a total looney. But he's also very cool. I heard him on Marathon Talk the other day and he doesn't stop to breathe when he's talking :)

Barefoot Ted is also an

Barefoot Ted is also an accomplished long distance longboarder.

Norm Deplume, how funny about

Norm Deplume, how funny about the shins! And I totally relate to your statement about wanting to know more about anyone who exemplifies something of the runner I want to become.

Thanks Saypay- running lightly and with a smile are not how most runners do it when they're plodding along and hurting. Yeah, I still hurt while I transition and build mileage, but I love it when little kids giggle when I run by without shoes or with the VFFs and in spite of the aches, I always feel so giddy when I get home- and that is new.

Yeah, the book more

Yeah, the book more emphasizes the midfoot running form and not having boat anchor shoes. Also it totally turned me on to Ultra-running, mostly because of its description of Ultra-runners personality "People with overwhelming love for the world and running." Or something to that affect. I read that and thought right away "Thats me! This is what I should be doing!" I was already running BF when I got the book, but it still re-enforced the idea of padded running shoes being bad, which can be taken to mean we should run barefoot, or just minimal. I was already reading Ken Bob stuff, so obviously I though "Duh shoes are bad! Just don't wear anything!"

I think its a very good book, definitely a must for runners in general, and it helped with a lot of the exposure to minimal running, and some of the minimal runners found us here or Ken Bob and switched over to barefoot. So I can see how it could indirectly cause someone to start running barefoot. Otherwise I'd say "Have you read Born to Run?" and "So do you have those crazy five-toed barefoot running shoes?" fall in about the same category of frequently asked ignorant questions.

What we should get people asking is "Have you seen therunningbarefoot.com?"

I have never read born to

I have never read born to run or any running book ever? I just thought it was a better way of running. Listening to all you guys and gals on here is better than reading a book, it's real life experiences and it has helped me more than anything. I have always been inspired by all of you new and long timers both. Thanks all!

SillyC et al, I have that

SillyC et al, I have that interview video bookmarked on my work computer and I will post the link in the morning. The other thing I wanted to say about BTR was that the main message I came away with after reading it (and subsequently listening to it on disc in my car 3X) was that not only can everyone run, but that we are born to run. The line that sticks with me most is something like"you don't stop running because you get old. You get old because you stop running."

Chris McD. got the BFR religion as a result of his immersion into the holy waters of ultimate running, pretty much as a direct result of his odessy with the Tarahumara, BFTed, Caballo Blanco,and all. I caught it from him, innocculated by way of BTR.

Nyal writes:The second is in

Nyal writes:

The second is in connection to Barefoot Ted and here running barefoot is presented as a eccentric practice. Look at this nut, Barefoot Ted who never shuts up, wears funny clothes to be odd and runs barefoot. Barefoot is here presented as non-conformist for the sake of non-conformity. I can't help think of the underground Beat art scene of the 50s in this context. Ted finishes the race with bloody and torn feet, McDougall presenting him hiding the injuries with tape and bandages in a furtive way.

Hmmm. Not sure if I agree.

Firstly, my goal was to make barefoot and minimalist running become part of the American mainstream dialogue. I knew this would require a product. As you may know, I was the first to run in the Vibram FiveFingers, the original classics...which were not ideal for the Copper Canyon Ultra Marathon. But to say I was hiding anything is ABSURD and totally incorrect. Bad you.

See photo of my feet here:

http://bit.ly/c6zG1n

To really understand the method to my madness, please read my blog article titled "Paradigm Shifting Trojan Horses - Vibram Five Fingers" here:

http://barefootted.com/2009/10/paradigm-shifting-trojan-horses-vffs.html

Being a barefoot runner was NON-CONFORMIST and TOTALLY NECESSARY for me to be able to run. I am not non-conformist for the sake of non-conformity. Absurd.

My running philosophy is eminently rational and attracts people who think rationally. Be sure to read my blog article titled "So, you wanna start running barefoot?":

http://www.barefootted.com/index.php?q=/2010/04/so-you-wanna-start-running-barefoot.html

I think people are drawn to the barefooting aspects covered in the book because they are presented with an argument that suggests humans are not broken by default...an argument that uses evolutionary biology to make a case for running as a fundamental human capacity. I agree. A fundamental running capacity that was certainly gained without modern running shoes. The underlying logic is clear for most readers...that's why they think its about barefoot running...because if you follow the logic...you get to barefoot running.

I also created the Minimalist Runner Google Group and have played a roll in presenting barefoot running not as an eccentric thing to do for the sake of being eccentric, but rather as a thing to do because it makes perfect sense when you examine the data. But also not as the only way. Obviously lots of folks run with shoes just fine. I was not one of them. So, after I found an answer that seemed so eccentric 7 years ago, I felt compelled to make sure it became part of the palette of choices for every runner.

Since 2006, I have returned to the Copper Canyon two more times, running in my own huaraches in 2007. Also, I started a sandal company called Luna Sandals that is now making sandals that others are using to win races, see a great race report here:

http://bourbonfeet.blogspot.com/

Just wanted to clear that up :)

Barefoot Ted aka El Mono

"Otherwise I'd say "Have you

"Otherwise I'd say "Have you read Born to Run?" and "So do you have those crazy five-toed barefoot running shoes?" fall in about the same category of frequently asked ignorant questions."

Yes, I think this is why people choose to qualify how they became involved with barefoot running, because anyone who sees me asks me about this book, but I was a minimalist/BF-curious runner before it came out. It constantly comes up. I don't really consider it an ignorant question, but I do like to make sure people know there is a larger community of barefoot runners out there with deep layers of experience.

JosephTree wrote:The other

JosephTree said:
The other thing I wanted to say about BTR was that the main message I came away with after reading it (and subsequently listening to it on disc in my car 3X) was that not only can everyone run, but that we are born to run.

Yes! I had passionately and sincerely told countless people before I read it "If I can run, you can run. Anyone can run." but the book really got under my skin as to how we are really born to do it, really made for it - it is part of the human condition. The longer I run, the more I am convinced of that. And who need shoes to do something they are born to do?

Barefoot Ted is talking to

Barefoot Ted is talking to ME?

holycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycowholycow

I am a huge fan. Let me clarify though, I was giving my take on McDougall's take on you. I think that between your BFR and distance longboarding-pumping...well...I am a big fan!

Holy crap, BFT, I wasn't

Holy crap, BFT, I wasn't saying you were non-conformist for the sake of non-conformity. I have been following you long before I ever picked up that book. You are like my guru.

Hi Barefoot Ted!I'll be at

Hi Barefoot Ted!

I'll be at the NYC run, and I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Thanks for the link, JosephTree. I can speak from experience - it is enough to get a beginner started. I started BFR a few hours after watching the video, and I didn't turn up on the interwebs looking for help until it snowed and I discovered that I just could not put my Asics back on.

Nyal wrote:Barefoot Ted is

Nyal said:
Barefoot Ted is talking to ME? I think that between your BFR and distance longboarding pumping...well..

Is BFT a Skumper? Like a real kingpin breaking dude? I had no idea!

I think THINK, mind you, that

I think THINK, mind you, that he holds a WR in some distance or time.

I've always ridden my

I've always ridden my longboards as an ambidextrous pusher, but my sons can really Skump.

I wanted to keep my soles working, skateboard pumper's feet never touch anything other than the grip tape.

I've watched in awe as one of my sons increases his speed UPHILL with both feet on the deck!

http://skateboard.about.com/o

http://skateboard.about.com/od/skateboardinglifestyle/tp/Skateboarding_World_Records.htm

I followed the link but just

I followed the link but just saw general skate info.

Was there a specific page I was supposed to be directed to?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon