Big toe nail coming off - any problem to run barefoot still?

Well, I already shocked my husband by getting my navel pierced a couple of years ago. He likes that, but he specifically asked me NOT to get a tattoo. So, while your suggestions are appreciated... ;)
I like your husband. Navel piercing is definitely more aesthetically pleasing than a tat.

JT: My father-in-law's peeps are/were into facial tattoos. They're pretty cool, but I'm kind of glad the tradition died out before my wife was born.

I like your husband. Navel piercing is definitely more aesthetically pleasing than a tat.

JT: My father-in-law's peeps are into facial tattoos. They're pretty cool, but I'm kind of glad the tradition died out before my wife was born.

But what if it's a tattoo of a navel piercing? What? Too Meta?

As for the facial tatt, I think it's safe to say that most folks are not thinking about tribal facial tattoos (a la Seal) when they talk about them; they're thinking about the dude that has an image of his '76 El Camino inked on his forehead, and all the glory it begets...

Ok, Laura, then ask him to get one, if he wants your canvas to stay blank. Fair's fair. And I agree with him. I'd fall over happy if either of my SO's got belly bling.

And BareLee, is it Maori sort of tribal / facial tats to which you refer?

Reactions: happysongbird
Ok, Laura, then ask him to get one, if he wants your canvas to stay blank. Fair's fair. And I agree with him. I'd fall over happy if either of my SO's got belly bling.

And BareLee, is it Maori sort of tribal / facial tats to which you refer?
Yah, the Makonde people of northern Mozambique, southern Tanzania. My wife's grandmother has them. The men also used to sharpen their teeth, part of the initiation ceremony. That pretty much died out with my father-in-law's generation. The Makonde are/were known as a fierce warrior people--the last to be colonized and the first to be liberated. My wife has continued that tradition, for better or worse.

:(

I fully acknowledge and accept the fact that I am late to this thread party, but I must say that I am seriously disappointed that there isn't a single picture in here. What with black toenails, missing toenails, toenails about ready to come off... and then it veers to facial tattoos... I'm really disappointed... you all can do better.
Complain, complain, complain. OK, how's this:
615802.jpg

Have any of you run barefoot with a missing big toe nail? I know I still have bones in my toes, :p but it just feels less supported and I just wondered what anyone else's experience has been. The toe was never injured; just the nail, from a combination of deterioration from fungus and hitting the tip of it somewhat hard against a door. It was the kind of force that I don't think would have bothered a normal nail.
Back on topic. You should take that fungus medicine. My dad had awful, painful toenail fungus but after about three months of taking that medicine, he's cured of it. Don't worry about the side-effects, they have to list everything that could possibly go wrong for legal purposes. There were a few days when my dad looked like a giraffe, but that cleared up soon.

OK, back on off-topic. OK, in the Philippines I stupidly bought some deck boots with steel toes at my brother's air force base one week before Pinatubo blew, 1991. Then in Suluwesi I went hiking with them, and the hand-drawn map I had was vastly out of proportion and I spent 12 hours in a tropical rain forest in the rain hiking to the next village. My toe nails became infected or something, or maybe just bruised and wet, and my toe swelled up, and the next day I could barely walk. Then a group of Indonesian missionaries with three medical doctors came through on foot while I was convalescing. They were performing 'miracles' in the ancient Hebrew Christ's name. They offered to rip out my inflected toe nails, but I recused their offer. I did, however, take them up on their offer of anti-biotics. A few days later the toe nails (I forget how many, but I think it was at least two) fell off on their own.

Moral of the story: don't go hiking in a rain forest with steel-toed military deck boots.

Back on topic: I was fine walking around without my big toe nail while it was growing back.

Back on topic. You should take that fungus medicine. My dad had awful, painful toenail fungus but after about three months of taking that medicine, he's cured of it. Don't worry about the side-effects, they have to list everything that could possibly go wrong for legal purposes. There were a few days when my dad looked like a giraffe, but that cleared up soon.
From what I read, the efficacy rate of the prescribed medication was very low, below 10%. Not encouraging. Since I have a history of both extremely sensitive skin and very weird reactions :eek: to medication (internal and external; I ended up in the emergency room once having a 1/million reaction to what they use to dilate eyes for an exam...it affected my whole body instead of just my eyes, so that I was partially paralyzed. Supposed to only happen to small children...), I'm going to just try lots of open air and diluted vinegar dips for my toenails right now. Thanks, anyway.

I'm going to just try lots of open air and diluted vinegar dips for my toenails right now. Thanks, anyway.

Have you tried Balsamic Vinaigrette? It might, work - you never know!

...in the next scene, we see happysongbird pouring salad dressing, bacon bits and croutons on her feet just to kill the toenail bacteria...then wolves break in to her house, eat her feet and run away...

[Sorry - that was one of those weird random vignettes that my mind churns out, occasionally - I hope your feet stay firmly attached and the fungus dies a horrible death, songbird :) ]

Hey, is Taroko a famous gorge? I think I went on a tour there while waiting to renew my Japanese visa more than 20 years ago. The tour guide was full of tired one-liners. I really liked him. And I really like Taiwan--such a lively contrast to Japan. So are you like the barefoot white guy who runs marathons in Taiwan?

Yes, Taroko is on the east coast. As far as I know I am the only white, barefoot marathoner in Taiwan.