Big toe nail coming off - any problem to run barefoot still?

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
Have any of you run barefoot with a missing big toe nail? I know I still have bones in my toes, :p but it just feels less supported and I just wondered what anyone else's experience has been. The toe was never injured; just the nail, from a combination of deterioration from fungus and hitting the tip of it somewhat hard against a door. It was the kind of force that I don't think would have bothered a normal nail.

I've heard of runners purposely removing toenails because they're in to that sort of thing, so I guess you can still run on it...

According to this website, toenails are an evolutionary leftover, so I think you're going to be good to run: http://ask.yahoo.com/20010504.html

but barefoot runners? or those in shoes?

OK, admittedly, I don't know the answer to that question. I'd reckon they were shod as that's what the odds support. I think running with a missing toenail in a shoe would be rather unpleasant as you'd have the sock and top of the toe box contacting the now-exposed toenail bed.

All that aside, considering the toenail, I do not think it provides any sort of structural support to the toe, but I will be grateful for the correction from an MD or DC.

Reactions: happysongbird
As an anthropologist, I can assure you that the toenails, specifically painted toenails, still play a vital evolutionary role in mating rituals and thus reproductive success. Although it's true, dancing has largely replaced the running part of these rituals.
ha. You guys are a lot of help.:rolleyes:

Reactions: NickW
I lose toenails on a regular basis and have never had a problem running at any speed or distance barefoot or shod. You'll be fine. ;)
Uh, how? I'm really curious because I don't think (please please please don't jinx myself for saying this) I've ever lost a single toenail... I know you do lots of ultras and stuff, so maybe it's the shoes, or stubbing your toes that is causing this problem? Maybe a genetic problem?

Reactions: happysongbird
Uh, how? I'm really curious because I don't think (please please please don't jinx myself for saying this) I've ever lost a single toenail... I know you do lots of ultras and stuff, so maybe it's the shoes, or stubbing your toes that is causing this problem? Maybe a genetic problem?

Most of it comes from kicking rocks in the last third of 100 milers. The blunt force trauma tends to be hard on the nails. Sometimes it's from the toes hitting the inside of the toebox on downhills after shoes loosen too much after a lot of miles. I tend to get lazy about re-tying. I've lost a few when doing long runs in shoes I've never tried before (for reviews).

Most of it comes from kicking rocks in the last third of 100 milers. The blunt force trauma tends to be hard on the nails. Sometimes it's from the toes hitting the inside of the toebox on downhills after shoes loosen too much after a lot of miles. I tend to get lazy about re-tying. I've lost a few when doing long runs in shoes I've never tried before (for reviews).
Ah ok so it's mostly operator error then. That explains it. See, when you talk about stuff like that Jason it makes me NOT want to do an ultra. I don't want to lose toenails, sounds painful.

I have never lost a toenail. Then again, I mostly run only marathons.

Vis a vis the "mating ritual" decorative / attractive aspect: Feel free to replace the toenail with a facial tattoo. They're always real eye catchers.

A facial tattoo of a toenail? That's gangsta, right there....