BF Weather Choices

While on my run today, I was thinking about the joys of winter running thread. If someone was starting to BF this time of year (and many are), would they be better to learn running BF on a treadmill, or in VFFs and brave the snow? Fortunately, I live in a rather mild climate so it's not an issue for me, but I wanted your opinions.

Oh, this is my first post wanted to say what a great site this is!

I did BF running on a

I did BF running on a treadmill for a while prior to running outside on streets, etc. At the time I did not use treadmill due to weather. I just did it as part of my transition to practice stride, etc.

I've been running outside for a bit now I'm up to 3.9 miles with each run getting longer. Recently I ran on treadmill due to weather. I can tell you now having BF run outside. Running on the treadmill is dreadful. The conveyor surface sucks. The machine itself does have a bit of a bounce. It is hard to get your natural cadence. The computer really does not seem to be accurate based on time/speed. Distance does not seem accurate because of it. In fact at one point my feet actually hurt a little. Never have that feeling outside. So I decided I'm not running on those hamster machines anymore. In hindsight I now know I should have skipped the treadmill, and gone straight outside. The outside surfaces is way better then any treadmill.

I live in a mild climate. Today run was right on a coastal road with rocky cliffs to my side. Winds were calm, sun was actually out, temp about 54 degrees. On a bad day it's super rainny with similar temps. Sometimes a Alaska front comes down to bring us colder temps. When it is raining I usually just keep an eye on weather radar, and run between storm systems.

Welcome Chris!  If you can

Welcome Chris! If you can run outside, please go for it! Nearly everyone here gets more enthused the more "natural" they can keep their running experience. In time you'll find yourself just itching for new textures under your (bare) feet. I think you'll do fine. Remember start out slow and build gently.

btw, I like your avatar but suspect you might look more like Abide's.

btw, I like your avatar but

btw, I like your avatar but suspect you might look more like Abide's. Huh? Why would you say that, JT?

Welcome, Chris!

As long as your feet won't go numb from the cold (or scorch from the heat), then it's always best to learn your proper barefoot running form outside, natural running on natural terrain.

ditto to he others about

ditto to he others about going outside. also, if you live in a cold area, ditch the VFFs and go bare when the roads/trails/wherever are dry; it's easy to go too far too soon in VFFs. just be mindful of the cold and know when to throw your normal shoes on and head in.

by the way, just as a heads up from personal experience, if you do go outside in the snow/cold and your feet get too cold while bare, make sure you have a pair of "normal" shoes with you as a rescue to get you home. VFFs are extremely hard to put on if you toes get numb.

I'd also go for the real

I'd also go for the real world surface.

I've tried treadmills in the winter but they just don't feel right and as Humboldt says the belts are too grippy. Besides they gyms will not let you run barefoot on the treadmills.

I always end up getting leg pain on them, usually shin tightness which I never get when running on the road.

On the other hand, I don't think I would be game enough to brave the snow until I was a accomplished barefoot runner as feedback is the important thing that will get lost due to numbness.

Maybe the best bet is to find some nice path that gets the most winter sun during the day so at least some of the absorbed energy can be felt as heat.

JosephTree wrote:btw, I like

JosephTree said:
btw, I like your avatar but suspect you might look more like Abide's.

Thanks, it's actually my wife from several years ago. She was topless in that pic. Fun day indeed.

From what I'm reading, no one really likes the treadmill....EVER! I'm glad the climate here isn't so bad that I have to choose.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, oh so funny!

Ha, ha, ha, ha, oh so funny!

I feel blessed by the weather

I feel blessed by the weather gods too...it was in the 50s here yesterday and I had a crisp 40 degree F barefoot run here today. When it gets colder than about 45F I always bring my water shoes with me, but I HAVE TO keep up the completely barefoot running. Most of the time it's intermittent - I'll put 1 barefoot mile into my 3 miler, just running until the feet get numb and putting my water shoes back on again. I've run barefoot all the way down into the 20s...just as long as I have shoes with me so I can re-heat the feet!

We had a really cold spell (20s, teens, below zero at night) just last week and I started running up on my toes too much. Killed my calves. These past few days of being barefoot have been...cleansing to say the least! My form is always better with skin-to-ground - and it's a lot more fun too! :D

BF Mary, that's what I've

BF Mary, that's what I've done lately too. I ran part of my 4 miles BF, then slipped into my Bikilas. Unlike some folks I have no trouble getting my toes to cooperate and slide into position for more running.

...and TJ: How did I know? It's something like the way it's usually tourists who wear a country's flag on their tshirts. People who live there have other things to think about.

Well, I got mine today. It's

Well, I got mine today. It's 15 degrees F in Ann Arbor. This morning I wore a hat, wool cowl, long-sleeve tech shirt, long-sleeve hoodie, a pair of wool arm warmers (that go alllllll the way up my arms), shorts, Under Armor waffle-weave tights, woolen socks, and suede moccasins. And my face is still cold!

I got one mile in. But the snow was pretty so that's good! I'm getting so soft, gotta tap into my midwestern perseverence. :lol:

If you are in A2 and want to

If you are in A2 and want to run, let me know.. I am exploring the running true barefoot outside.. but since today was NOT a running day (long story about body health that has NOTHING to do with running, but is not going to allow me to run), I took a walk to the end of the driveway just now in bare feet on the snow.. umm.. not something I'll recomend on a walk, I could see on a run it not being bad.. but even dry and in wool socks on the warm floor my feet are still thawing after the 3 minutes out there... I cannot see doing distances this way with the snow underfoot, but if the pavement is dry and sunwarmed (the asphalt in the neighboring sub) I can see doing the little bit to get there and back eventually, but it will take time to build up the tolerance. I can also see that warming up with an indoor jog bare helping a LOT when I get out the door... as I know my feet are warmer to the touch when I've been running..

My original plan if I ran today was to end the run with a trip to the corner and back, but that didn't happen- hopefully tomorrow.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon