Barefoot Winter Challenge - 2011

That might have been the case before Matt imported the members into their chapters. Now that's resolved, we can start to move the threads from the forums to the chapters. Do you know how?

Looks like I'll have an unfair advantage over Rick in the upcoming week. Unlike most of the rest of the continent, my local weather is supposed to be significantly colder than typical, mostly well below freezing:

tempforecastmarch2012.jpg

Screen shot from www.weatherspark.com, my new discovery for the day!

Miranda

@Miranda - Love those temperatures. Perfect for getting in barefoot runs. Temps here in Ottawa will not go below +10°C for the next 6 days. Hopefully, after this heat wave I'll be able to get a couple more cold runs in to push me over the 400km mark. I did go for a 6k walk, barefoot, in the woods. Felt great to mix it up with warm pine needles, mud, and a little granular snow.

Update for week ending March 18 2012
Group:
  • 300+ run
  • 2100+ km (barefoot at less than 41°F)
    • New York City to Miami = 2145 km
    • Seattle to San Diego = 2032 km
  • 1 new participant (Welcome BeerGaucho!)
  • Top 5 individuals: Lou, Rod, Troy, Miranda, and Rick
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GJPRTd5Q2tGWEhoTzV6V0ZIRUNsNHc&hl=en_GB#gid=0

Mar18.png

Mother nature appears to have given me one last chance to plug in a few runs! We've been in the 70s and 80s for two weeks, and this week we are dropping down to the 50s, which means my early morning runs are right around freezing and just below with wind chill. Woo!

With all the crazy miles you guys are putting in (Miranda I'm looking at you!) I'm surprised I'm still clinging to 3rd in total distance! (unless I misread the spreadsheet)

Well, I've been madly trying to condition my soles for a marathon May 6, and with winter persisting here that means a lot of miles qualifying for the Winter Challenge. I'm still being troubled by some mild but persistent blisters which I haven't allowed to heal properly between BF runs, so I think I may call it quits on completely barefoot runs for a week or two and let them truly heal before trying a 20-miler on April 6. Met my goal of 200k and got in a Half last weekend barefoot, so I'm happy. Go Rick, go Smelph!

Miranda

April fools brings us to the end of the challenge. We had a great winter, with more participants, more miles, and more countries AND less frostbite! :)

Quick Summary:
Top spot = Run Barefoot (Lou in Peterboro)
Top female = Moominmamma (Miranda) in 4th (not bad for 1/2 the winter) :cool:
Total distance by the group = 2,306.6 km (1433.2 miles)

Runs by Country:
  1. Canada: 193 for 1324 km (822.7 mi)
  2. USA: 115 for 721.9 km (448.6 mi)
  3. Germany: 11 for 82.4 (51.2 mi)
  4. Norway: 4 for 10 km (6.2 mi)
  5. France: 2 for 27 km (16.8 mi)
Here is the final standings:
Final_Standings.png

If you guys want to share a report for the home page like you did last year, please email it to me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Just wanted to extend a hearty "Thanks!" to YOW for pulling this together for us this year. It was a big motivator for me. And wow, I wish I had half your facility with GoogleDocs: great graphs and charts!

Miranda

Good Job Everyone! Thanks YOW for keeping all of the charts organized (I think I only messed up the spreadsheet once). Any guidelines or suggestions for comments? I'll try to put something together.

It was fun, but I was the one with frostbite (rookie). Lesson learned. I'll be better prepared next year.

... Any guidelines or suggestions for comments? I'll try to put something together.

It was fun, but I was the one with frostbite (rookie). Lesson learned. I'll be better prepared next year.

Rick -- mainly talk about what you've learned, and how you adapted to running in cold weather. Include a section on your frostbite. (we've all been there ;))

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon