Barefoot Walking Technique

Brandon C.

Barefooters
Sep 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Hi All,

As part of my transition into BF running, I'm starting out with 5 minutes of BF walking three times a week and building by 5 minutes each week until I can walk barefoot for 45 minutes.

My questions is whether or not I should be heel striking when I walk barefoot. Thoughts?

-Brandon

Welcome Brandon, consider this my welcome for your introductory thread also. There has many threads about barefoot walking on here so you can always look through the posts if you want for numerous opinions. I personally walk more midfootish and cannot heel strike at all. Heel striking barefoot for me hurts pretty bad. A lot of people say they feel like they are "prancing" when not walking with a heel strike. I will admit it felt weird at first, but after a couple days of learning to walk with a midfoot strike it started to feel natural. I seem to notice that it depends on the individual how they walk, some like me cannot walk with a heel strike while others walk just fine with a heel strike. Before I had changed my walking gait I noticed that while on natural surfaces I tended to walk with a mid/forefoot strike and while walking on smooth man made surfaces I was able to walk with more of a heel strike. I decided if in nature I walk with a mid/forefoot strike I probably should walk that way all the time.

Nick,

Thanks for the advice. Heel striking while walking BF doesn't bother me at all. I just wanted to know if I was building a bad habit by heel striking when I walk. From what I've read on the forum, it looks like it's a mixed preference.

-Brandon

Hey Brandon welcome, I've only been bfw/bfr for 8/9 weeks now but for me when I bf walk I heel strike it feels natrual. I did get blisters the first week or so and I thought I needed to change my form but everything settled. Although depending on the terrain it's sometimes feels better to switch to forefoot strike over some of those rocky/ gravely paths.

Welcome Brandon.

I do a lot of barefoot walking and hiking. I have changed my form to a mid-foot strike while walking because of rough conditions. The heel just doesn't develop as much padding as your forefoot and it is easier to adjust if you hit a sharp object if you feel it with you forefoot. Also, notice that mid foot strike is quieter. I figure the quieter the better, just like running. Now, I have noticed that there was an adjustment period. A mid foot strike and a deeper knee bend was more work on my quads, and my speed was slower because of a shorted stride length, but after some time I was able to add back the speed with a faster cadence.

Keep in mind, everything here is just opinions, there is no right or wrong way, everyone is different. Experiment and figure out what works for you. Research, ask a lot of questions, but don't get bogged down with all the details.

Rick W.

Reactions: NickW
For me, everything seems to touch at the same time. I forgot to mention that I put more weight on the outside of my foot first and then I place weight on the ball of my foot and then toes for a slight push off. Heels must touch the ground or you will fry your calves and have other problems like shortening your Achilles.

This
might help you too.
It shows heel touching the ground first when we walk barefoot on a smooth surface (not necessarily "striking", just touching).
Rougher terrains are a different issue, we switch to mid-foot (sometimes even front-foot) landing.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7