Barefoot = Poverty

Rusinque

Barefooters
Jan 19, 2012
houston, texas
In Uruguay, there are hundreds of people living on the street and most of them are barefoot or in flip-flops and the culture here is extremely materialistic. Not only that, majority of the robberies here are from teenagers.
When you combine a running barefoot teenager and snotty, materialistic people, they seem to look down at you. They give you the 'stink eye' because they are ignorant of the benefits of barefoot running.
Well, have you ever passed these types of people and how do you deal with them?

…lol, I’m consistently asked if I am making a statement or demonstration for those who are in dire poverty, thus have no shoes (as I tend to only wear shoes when I HAVE to…so go barefoot most of the day). I was surprised with how receptive people were to quick comments about health benefits and saying that my feet aren’t comfortable in shoes. This may be due to the fact that I’m in a University setting, but it might work. Or just give short unsatisfying answers and people quickly stop asking =)

A good story about this was the other day on a run I passed two girls (ages 11-13ish) and one scoffed and said hello very sarcastically. The I hear the other girl say, “actually, running barefoot is healthier for your body and much more natural…..” and I didn’t catch the rest.
In either case, I think there is hope for the movement especially as the younger generations are more exposed. I mean…a 12 year old saying something like this is a good sign right?

That's tough. I would imagine a lot of people are judging you negatively whether they're saying anything or not.

If it's within your means, I wonder if you could create a "look" that compensates a bit for your lack of shoes. Maybe you can find running shorts and shirts and accessories that look fashionable and expensive. Perhaps that will encourage people to view you as a runner who happens to be barefoot, rather than as some delinquent kid running from the scene of his crime.

Miranda

I grew up in India and I know exactly what you're talking about. There is much emphasis on academics for middle class kids and manual labor is largely looked down upon. It's no surprise that the poor kids grow up to be the strong athletic type while the educated affluent sport a rather large mid-section.

I live in a fairly affluent suburban neighborhood in the US now. So the looks I get are more of a quizzical nature.

I was just commenting about this in another post about latin-america (I'm mexican). I really think that in our cultures the barefoot = poverty is a very ingrained idea, I've seen it and felt it many times. I don't quite know if it's the same thing in other regions, but it's definitely a reality around here. That supports my theory of the very little adoption barefoot walking/running has in Latin-America compared to other countries.

Rusinque, just out of curiosity, I know you live in Uruguay, but you're not native, right?
--
JL

I've heard a couple of funny accounts from a barefooter guy over on Hip Forums. He's has said more than once that he'll sit at an outdoor cafe, barefoot, and get the "stink eye" from others sitting nearby, as if they think he's poor or homeless or whatever. Then he'll proceed to pull out his laptop or smart phone and start using it, which obviously negates the whole "poor" stereotype.

Reactions: Rusinque
At some point in the considerations you just have to forget what others' opinions might be. Most of the running experience for me is internal, and the stink eyes or "wow!'s" are just a distraction. You know, it's primarily your own envelope you're trying to expand, not theirs.

Reactions: Zetti
Or in my case, I'm trying to "shrink" my envelope, i.e. my gut! :p

Yah, I've been to a lot of poor countries around the world, and the basic transportation hierarchy is: bare feet > sandals/thongs > shoes > bicycle > moped/motorcycle > car. As soon as you get some extra cash, you try to move up the hierarchy, or improve within your present category. And often when people encounter you, they first look you in the face and then at your feet, presumably to judge your attitude/aspect and then affluence. So of course, everyone gets a charge out of seeing an affluent westerner barefooted.

moominmamma- Yeah I always wear race shirts, so I guess it shows I have money to go to the events, lol.

Barefoot JL- Ive lived here for a year and a half. Born American, Raised Colombian.

Thanks guys. Now I just gotta find a tux, lol

I just scratch my face with my middle finger. Just kidding. Try wearing jewelry and an evening gown next time you run barefoot. As much as I try not to worry about what other people think, it is frustrating sometimes. Lately I have become perturbed about the number of peope who don't say "hi" back to me. Some are concentrating, or out of breath, or have headphones in, but some are just mean. I just try to blow it off.

I just scratch my face with my middle finger. Just kidding. Try wearing jewelry and an evening gown next time you run barefoot. As much as I try not to worry about what other people think, it is frustrating sometimes. Lately I have become perturbed about the number of peope who don't say "hi" back to me. Some are concentrating, or out of breath, or have headphones in, but some are just mean. I just try to blow it off.

I try to say hello to others on the path at the park when I'm there with my son, and yes I think it's pretty rude when people ignore me. But then when I'm running and have headphones in, I REALLY don't want other people trying to talk to me. IMHO it's kind of rude when I have to pull out an earbud to hear what they're saying.

Hm, I've only just started BFing, and I've already had "poor comments."
I walked bf to church and back on Sunday, and some friends teased me about 'being so poor that I couldn't afford shoes.' I know it was all in good fun, but it did get my back up - if I decided to show up without a coat would they tease me about being poor?
But to show up without shoes was just too extreme I suppose.

Peace,
-Niffer

When I first started bf running around here I was super selfconscious about that aspect of it. The town I live in is super uppity. Its uppity even for Orange County, which is really saying something. People are rich and conservative and the whole place has a plesantville attitude about it. Also we deport our homeless people to the next town over, so it was really important to me to not have to have that conversation with a police officer. I made a point to wear my nicer running clothes when I was bf, and also always wear my garmin, and bring my ipod touch rather than the mp3 player that was small and I actually liked running with. Now I don't care and don't worry about it. But I think that clothes go a really long way in showing people that you aren't some sort of bum. If you look like your outfit cost more than their shoes, well then whos really going to hassle you.

I just grew increasingly saddened by what this post is representing (nothing against the post, just the ideas and realities that it brings to light are sad to me). Its nothing new for societies to ostracize the poor, but it still bothers me. There is a certain assumption that being wealthy gives license for certain "get out of jail free" cards (which is true), and other assumptions that being associated with poverty has directly tangible negative effects on your freedom (which is also unfortunately true). The fact that barefoot runners have to "look nice" or wealthy in order to avoid profiling, or what have you, is fundamentally sad. =( Not so much for us BFRs but for what that means about our society and the "advanced civilization" that we live in.

Sorry for getting all sentimental, but I thought I'd share.

I live in the suburbs of St. Louis, MO and face many of the same problems I have been reading about in the other posts. I also feel pressure to compensate for the lack of shoes by wearing "nice" workout attire and carrying some sort of electronic device. As I get used to funny looks and comments, I feel less pressure to compensate by flashing my bling. LOL!
As I commented in another thread, shoe culture has been ingrained in the West and as Western culture has spread, so has shoe culture. It will take a lot of dedicated people to try to reverse this trend.

Reactions: Niffer

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7