Barefoot = Poverty

When I first started bf running around here I was super selfconscious about that aspect of it. The town I live in is super uppity. Its uppity even for Orange County, which is really saying something. People are rich and conservative and the whole place has a plesantville attitude about it. Also we deport our homeless people to the next town over, so it was really important to me to not have to have that conversation with a police officer. I made a point to wear my nicer running clothes when I was bf, and also always wear my garmin, and bring my ipod touch rather than the mp3 player that was small and I actually liked running with. Now I don't care and don't worry about it. But I think that clothes go a really long way in showing people that you aren't some sort of bum. If you look like your outfit cost more than their shoes, well then whos really going to hassle you.

Sounds like Fabulous Newport Beach (they don't like fat folks either - I learned that the hard way...)

So far, I've only been running in the early morning (still dark) so not encountering anyone...even if I did, I think folks in The Bay Area in general handle out of the ordinary things a little better than folks in, say, Fresno. I still expect comments, but I would think those would be out of shock or surprise (or awe) rather than degradation.

RP

Sounds like a good back of the tee shirt slogan: Barefoot running -- the new Shock & Awe!

I think I've only gotten a "can't you afford shoes?" question once, and I think it was in jest, but I came back with "no, I got mugged by some teenagers", which might be just as bad since I generalized all teenagers s muggers, so...

I often wonder what people think (not that it really matters) because not only do I run barefoot but most of my running gear is full of holes (both my winter pants and summer shorts are essentially crotchless at this point), appear ill-fitting (my pants got hemmed real high so I could run bare in them and we went a little too high) or are $5 t-shirts I found at the local supermarket (I'm known around here as "orange crush" because I've worn a cheap OC t shirt for the last 2 winters). Compared to the people I run with, in all their expensive Patagonia (amongst other brands) gear, I feel like a hobo.

You'll be sending mixed signals. Hee. Teasing.

Sounds like Fabulous Newport Beach (they don't like fat folks either - I learned that the hard way...)

Very close, I'm right on the border of the town next to it. And yeah, fat people are pretty unacceptable here too. I mean really they make surgery to fix that nowadays. Or you just hire someone to make you not fat anymore. Its nice because I can go running at 2 am without worrying about getting attacked, but the attitude gets old.

I've never actually had anyone comment on my feet being an affordability thing. Most people seem to recognize what I'm doing, the few that don't are more just confused by it than anything else though. Thats why I stopped caring about looking like I belonged there.