Badger Mountain Challenge (SE Washington State)

I don't know Chris. I put up a healthy PR last Sunday in an 8k (42:15/8:30 mm pace. Woot!), and I think I put so much into getting that pr, training wise, that I left myself flat this week. I'm sure I'll be OK next weekend but I certainly haven't run enough hills!

I don't know Chris. I put up a healthy PR last Sunday in an 8k (42:15/8:30 mm pace. Woot!), and I think I put so much into getting that pr, training wise, that I left myself flat this week. I'm sure I'll be OK next weekend but I certainly haven't run enough hills!
There's just one hill at this race...

So, I went out and did hill repeats on my local trail today. It's kind of a basin, so there's lots of up/down running. I made a five mile loop as a standard training loop last year, so I went back to it. At the mid point there is an extended climb of almost a mile with varying slope. I would sprint from one tree to a distant tree (realistically 75-125 yards per repeat), walk a minute or so, then sprint, repeat. Did about five of those, then ran it in the last mile and a half or so, which included a lot of rolling terrain.

Next week will be tough for me, but doable. No pace or time predictions, though. I'm just looking to finish a) running and b) under my own power. Should be fun.

Reactions: NickW
Holy he!! That was tough. The climbs were sustained and crowded, making it so even when I felt like I could run, I couldn't. Uphill walking is worse than shuffle-step jogging, and it took its toll on me. I knew going in I had not done enough hill training and I expected to do a bit of power hiking on the ups, so no worse than anticipated there. I am, however, a decent downhiller and made up time there. I did it in 1:53, unofficial time. I think it will end up fairly close to that. Legs feel good, except for the heavy use my quads got, but my feet are pretty beat up. I ran in lone peaks, and they just do not fit my foot perfectly. I was really wishing I had picked up a pair of mt110's like I had planned to. Lighter would have been nice, with a better fit for my foot.

I did not connect with Janson, but am assuming his local knowledge helped him be well ahead of me the whole time. I honestly had nothing but the course description to go on and was not well enough mentally prepared. I was much better fueled and hydrated than I was in my fall half, though, so I got that goin' for me; which is nice.

Reactions: dutchie53 and NickW
Nice work, Janson! My official time came in at 1:50:21. I'm pretty happy with that! I'll be better trained next year!
Well you beat me then, the local knowledge did help, but I'm still not fast. Do you notice a guy in a kilt during the run? If you did that would have been me.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7