Badger Mountain Challenge (SE Washington State)

ugh, change your tights next time, maybe?

Wow.....inspirational and a bit scary at the same time.
Nice job indeed! :barefoot:

Reactions: NickW
Thank you! Btw, there is another ultra training schedule I've come across a couple times (including in Scott Jurek's Eat & Run) which I guess is called the B2B (Back to Back), which is to run a marathon distance (or 30 miles say) on Saturday and Sunday. Jurek would also run 10 miles every day during the week. I spoke with a woman who, due to family obligations, is splitting the long runs, 15 miles in the morning, then 15 at night. This might be a more doable schedule for folks with a 40 hr/week schedule. Jurek did that every week preparing for Western States (which he won) though I'm not sure if the B2B this woman is doing is like every three weeks, like I'm doing with my 30/30/45s.
Anyways, things that make you go hmm....

Reactions: NickW
Badger Mountain Update:

Yesterday I completed my latest 30/30/45 ultra-training week, with a long long 45 mile day. I was successful, and felt fairly strong. With about five weeks left until the Badger Mountain Challenge, this may have been my last 'big' week of running, before I need to start tapering off. I've been allowing myself two weeks to recover from these 30/30/45 weeks, so I'm not sure, but perhaps in two weeks I may do just a 30/30, or something like that. I'm looking forward to tapering though....

I do feel stronger, and I do feel, most importantly, that my recovery time is amazingly fast. For example, this morning I'm out and about, walking around, if a little slowly, especially when getting out of a chair. Yoga class (a 'yin' type one) this morning helped, and I'll do another this afternoon. I also made sure to do some stretching on my own last night, even though all I wanted to do was jump in a warm shower.

Actually, my first '30' this week was the Hagg Lake 50K, so a little more than 30. I rested two days, then did the second 30 on Tuesday, which really left me exhausted. Like, I slept 11 hours that night. I think the 50K was a lot more of a physical exertion that I would've given myself on my own. Meaning, that's a good thing. Having other people around to inspire me makes me run faster and stronger. I only wish a 50 Miler were available around here at this time of year. But I think any kind of race is good training, and makes us better runners.

The only major 'thing of note' from yesterday was mental: Not for the first time, I doubted whether this was all 'worth it' or not. That is, the time factor. I just would not be able to do this with a full-time job. I just have other interests, like writing and playing music, and maybe having a girlfriend at some point. Plus too, I miss just running barefoot. My calluses have almost vanished because I've been running in my Merrell Trail Gloves (for warmth, traction, and gravel roads). I'm wondering if I'm more interested in running barefoot than running ultras.

That said, I'm also still curious about challenging myself, my body, to see where I can push it. So, I'm definitely going through with this, and I'll see how I feel afterwards. Right now I think I'm doubting and discouraging myself a bit too harshly, perhaps just out of fatigue. Who knows, when I finish Badger Mountain (and I will!) maybe it'll be like marathons were: I'll want to do another one (Which would be the Born To Run 100M in May).

In other news: I have my support team assembled. Two pacers, who will alternate running with me from Mile 50 on. What I told them is this: I need someone to help get me through the long dark hours. I think if I can get past Mile 80, and to daylight, that I'll be able to finish the rest on my own, if they can't make it all the way. I also have a 'designated driver' who will bump the car and pacers and hopefully be alive enough in the morning to at least get us to a hotel. Hopefully too, the crew can document the event with FB updates and pics! I'm hoping to have something going on my FB wall (or whatever it's called now) where people can check in, and write words of encouragement.

looking good St. john. i'm 99% confirmed for the 15K. I just need my paycheck so I can register. I won't be barefoot; I'll be in my Altras most likely. it'll also be more of a 'run' than a 'race' for me. I just haven't had the miles to be as quick as I'd like lately!

Be one of my pacers and run for free! Just at, like, four in the morning....

looking good St. john. i'm 99% confirmed for the 15K. I just need my paycheck so I can register. I won't be barefoot; I'll be in my Altras most likely. it'll also be more of a 'run' than a 'race' for me. I just haven't had the miles to be as quick as I'd like lately!

Reactions: janson
I'm out! Basta! Enough! Last week I came to the conclusion that I just was not up for doing the Badger Mountain Hundo, or any hundo. I know, I know, this may seem strange since I was doing so well with the 30/30/45 training schedule, and in fact was about to 'peak' at my last big week before gradually winding down the end of the month for the run. There's a few reasons why I decided not to go through with it, which I'll try to address:

First, running was just not fun any more. I found myself dreading my next long run, and even smaller runs. I felt almost like my body was taking over, tired being sore, and needing some healing. What's interesting is this is the exact excuse I, and others, gave when bailing out of the Burning River 100M. I think what is required of running one hundred miles is the drive to go 'beyond fun'. But if running wasn't fun anymore, now, I could only picture myself really hating life during the race, after I'd spent the time and money to get up there, and wasted my crew's time and energy too.

Second, I just wanted more time for other things in my life, which is a bit bizarre, I know, since my friend Mark's 30/30/45 schedule is designed to give runners plenty of free time, and I'm currently unemployed. But running 30 miles, for me, requires an all day commitment, so I found myself blocking off the whole week, not doing much of anything, and certainly nothing social, so as to give myself time to run and recover. I think ultra-running requires a commitment, a passion, for only running, which I totally respect, but I don't have. There are other activities, like writing and playing music (and, you know, looking for a new job) that I found myself missing, because even in 'off weeks' I still felt sore and slow moving, and just wanting to sleep 11 hours a night.

Third, I missed barefoot running. On all the long runs, I was going minimalist, in minimalist shoes, which worked well, and was the right decision, but on off weeks, I was still running every other day, and still trying to get up into trails, so, with the cold rainy Portland weather, that meant still doing the minimalist shoes. Now I find myself with no calluses at all, when really, with temps never getting below freezing around here, I should/could have been running barefoot every day. I believe this is tied in with the 'running isn't fun' aspect.

(Maybe) Fourth, after all that training, and feeling like I was pretty strong, I didn't feel like I'd improved that much. That is, for example, on the recent Hagg Lake 50K, although I did PR, I think it was more due to the easy course. I still bogged down a little at the end. I was happy with the PR, but I feel like running some 30/30/45 weeks should have made me a much stronger runner than I felt. Instead, I felt like I've felt for any other marathons and 50Ks. I'm not sure what my point is, but maybe I was feeling doubt about wether I could do Badger Mountain. I'm not sure.

So, although I felt a little bad about being a quitter, I also felt a huge relief when I finally decided to stop. Which is how I felt during Burning River. I went into a little funk though, and haven't run that much at all in the past week, although I think too I've just been recovering. Yesterday was the first day where I felt a little of the fun-ness come back. I only planned on a 25 minute run, but ended up staying out for an hour.

So, I think I'm going to be happy to (just) run marathons and 50Ks, to maintain myself on that edge where they're hard, but doable. And, I think I may still be up for 50 milers—I guess because they're still something I can do on my own, in daylight hours, and be able to drive home under my own power (I plan to run a 50 miler for my 50th birthday, but that's more than a few years away!).

So, I apologize if I've disappointed any readers (if there are any readers) but I hope the chronicling of what little I did will be helpful to anyone thinking about doing a hundo. It's a lot more than just being physically fit enough (though that's huge). I would love to help someone else run one, by being on a crew and/or pacing, but I also know I have to know when to bow out gracefully.

Cheers!

John, I have to block out my entire day just for a 2 hour run! Lol! I can't imagine being an ultra-runner. Well, yes, I can. It's one of my many callings. But I'm not answering it yet because, I too, have other aspects of my life that I wish to entertain - and though a 30/30/45 is "only" three days in a week, it's really six days due to recovery. I can't live the rest of my life in one day, at this point. I am glad that you followed your intuition. :happy:

Thanks Jen! Wish I could go to KinkFest, but instead I'm doing a five day Zen meditation retreat. I know, I know, where are my priorities?

Actually...funny you should mention Zen meditation retreat...I have been looking at these exact retreats this past week trying to decide which one I would eventually like to go to. Which place are you doing yours through???

Hey John, don't feel bad at all. I don't know anyone personally that could have done those workouts.

Many good points you brought up. I was dealing with some of the same issues on a much smaller scale. Like Jen said, a two hour run would change my whole day and sometimes in a negative way. The long runs would be great, I love long runs, but dealing with work, family, scheduling was a juggling match and this was just for marathon training.

You are still one of the barefoot mentors and many runners look up to you (one of your race reports was the first thing I read on this site). Look forward to meeting you in August.

Rick

Wow, thank you Rick! I'm honored!

Jen: I live by the Zen Center of Portland:http://www.zencenterofportland.org/

There's a link to their retreat schedules. Next one is end of this month, five days. There's like two other big zen places in Portland too, plus a place northwest of town, on the river.

Cheers all!

Reactions: jldeleon
That Zen center has the least expensive lodging of any of the retreats I've looked at.

Good to hear you got some fun back into your running already John. Since I lost my pacing gig, I went ahead and registered for the 15K. I see that Lomad is going to be there, anyone else?

I'll be there, but probably jogging more than running. I pretty much took this week off, except for a scheduled run this Saturday. I'll run easy next week and see how I feel when I get to the start line Saturday. Burnout can be a beeyotch, especially when it hits at the wrong moment...

I'll be there, but probably jogging more than running. I pretty much took this week off, except for a scheduled run this Saturday. I'll run easy next week and see how I feel when I get to the start line Saturday. Burnout can be a beeyotch, especially when it hits at the wrong moment...
Nah............it's just pre-event jitters. You'll do great on the day!

Enjoy the run.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts