Badger Mountain Challenge (SE Washington State)

i'll take yoga class anytime over running 30 miles. a lot of hot women over in your area. dog. good job.

huaraches don't work on muddy trails but are doable on wet streets, in my experience. i do notice the hemp laces tighten but will break easier when they get too wet.

Here is the link to Mark's blog post, his Hundo training schedule: http://www.docott.com/run/?p=204

The third day went very well. I didn't do 45, but I went longer than the previous two days. I'll take that. The weather was cold, snowy and drizzly, though this time I was wearing my Merrill Trail Gloves, which worked wonderfully for keeping the feets warm. I was again out on trails in Forest Park.

And I have to say, at the start, especially with the weather conditions, I was like, 'This is dumb. I don't need to to this. This is not fun.' I was even telling myself I'd just run up the dirt road portion and run back, a mere 20 miles, and wait for warmer weather. But when I got to the end of the road, I told myself, 'Ok, just go up on the trail for a little bit, you can always zip back down to the road and bail.' But once I was on the trail, my spirits lifted, I got warmer (perhaps from eating a Clif Bar?) and suddenly the run became fairly pleasant.

I also did not do any penguin waddling, even at the end, though I did walk more hills. No footwear malfunctions. The only minor problem was my gloves weren't quite warm enough. But the proper footwear for the occasion certainly helped my mood. Something to remember for the Hundo!

Total running time was 8:30. Again, it took all day, and afterwards I wasn't up for doing much else, except a blessed yoga class. I went to sleep at like nine o'clock, and slept until eight the next morning! Still moving slow, but I feel good, maybe even just mentally, knowing that this past week I've trained better than I did that whole last summer before my DNF at Burning River 100M. Thanks Mark!

More notes:

Yesterday, Thursday, after a short house/cat-sitting break, in which I did nothing but watch lots of DVDs and eat mostly junk food, I returned to my new schedule of a long long run. Again, I’m not sure on the length, but I was out for another eight hours. I’d like to say that puts the route at 35 miles, but I run really slow, so it could be 30. I think it’s at least 30.

On Wednesday, I also fasted, something I’ve been doing for a while now: fasting one day a week, though on the run I felt pretty low energy, so I’m not sure fasting the day before a long run is the best thing to do. I may have to change the day. I’m trying to find the optimal three days for running, based around what’s going on in the rest of my life. So far, it seems that Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, will work best, with Friday and Saturday off. The holidays are kind of messing with that schedule though, what with people coming into town and such. I don’t want my running to interfere with my social life (such as it is....)

Anyways, though I felt low energy, and walked mostly all the hills, that eight hours wasn’t much different from my last run on the same route, which is something to remember: feeling low energy doesn’t mean running isn’t possible! With the low energy, my mantra became, don’t fall in to the Death March.

I invested in better gloves, which made the run much more enjoyable. I was warm enough the whole way. In fact, the weather was good, with actual sun. I still dressed fairly warm, with a shell and two shirts and runing pants and a pair of shorts over them. Most of the other runners I saw were dressed much lighter, some in just shorts and a t-shirt! But they were moving faster than I was. I didn’t hardly break a sweat.

The Merrell Trail Gloves are still the best tool for the job, for both the cold, and the muddy trails. I wouldn’t run on pavement in them, but for cold trail running, they’re perfect. I suspect I’ll want to use them for at least the night portion of Badger Mountain.

The things I carried: One Clif Bar and a bag of raisins. I didn’t seem to get the boost of energy from the Clif Bar that I got on the last run, but I think I’ll be taking one with me on each run. Maybe even take two. They’re cheaper than I thought, just over a dollar.

What I was really grateful for was being able to attend a yoga class almost right after I got home and ate something. Doing all the stretching, along with some strength poses, took the ‘edge’ or ‘bite’ out of my soreness. I could move a little more easily afterwards. This option isn’t available after races, which are on the weekends, but I’m thankful to have this yoga studio right down the block! Yoga maybe be my secret weapon on the road to Badger Mountain!

The one thing bothering me is that I'm not running barefoot. I miss it. And, in fact, need it. For this trail route, carrying my Merrells part of the time is just not really feasible. I'll have to move out to some city running, where I can carry my Xero Huaraches part of the time. That or sneak in some short barefoot runs here and there.

Now, two days of rest, and then another 30 miles on Sunday. I do like this ‘not running every day’ schedule of Mark’s. I just wish I were a little faster so the 30 miles didn’t take all day!

Any comments or suggestions are welcome! I'm also going to need some pacers! Janson's in for 20!

Road to Badger Mountain—More notes

First off, I have to apologize to readers, because I misinterpreted/mis-read/mistook my friend Mark’s post about the 30/30/45 running schedule for a Hundo. In fact, that schedule is NOT to be done every week, but more like every three weeks! Big oops, and very embarrassing for this former English major. But good news in that it doesn’t sound quite as insane now!

That said, with x-mas done and over, I did another 30ish mile run last Thursday (see previous post) and today, Sunday, did another. The same route. I also plan to run it on New Year’s Day. I have yet to run the ‘45’ portion, but the good news is that this 30 (or more) route feels very doable now, though of course I am sore and tired as I write this tonight. But, I had enough energy to come over to a cafe to write this!

The big lesson learned was about nutrition: Last Thursday I wrote about running the route having fasted the day before, and feeling very low energy. Well, this time, I carbo-loaded the heck out of myself yesterday, with gobs of spaghetti. And today I felt much more energy. I also increased my food intake on the actual run, with a second Clif Bar, in addition to the first, and some raisins, but even before I ate my first bar, on the 11 mile run up Leif Erickson Road, I felt way more energy. I could just tell that the run was going to feel better.

So, I know, sounds basic, but, fasting the day before a big run? Not a good idea. Not impossible, but not a good idea. Fortunately, now that I’m not running the 30/30/45 every week (!) I can still fast one day on the weeks off, when I’ll be doing more ‘normal’ runs (whatever those may entail). Something to remember for Badger Mountain: carbo load carbo load carbo load!

Interresting how having energy just changed my perception about the route. What felt like hills on Thursday, needing to be walked, today seemed only mere inclines that I could run up! In fact, the best news of the day was how much time I cut off the route: 50 whole minutes!

The weather of course was great, clear and sunny (in Portland! In December!) which didn’t hurt, but I really feel this was all about nutrition. Again, probably a no-brainer for most folks, but I’m a slow stubborn learner, and need to make my own mistakes.

Now a day off, and ring in the New Year with another long run!

Reactions: NickW and dutchie53
I agree with Dutchie. I'm not an aspiring ultra runner, but I really enjoy reading what works and doesn't work for you, John.

BTW, it's looking VERY promising for this Idaho gal to do the 15k trail run at the Badger Mountain Challenge!!

Reactions: jldeleon
I agree with Dutchie. I'm not an aspiring ultra runner, but I really enjoy reading what works and doesn't work for you, John.

BTW, it's looking VERY promising for this Idaho gal to do the 15k trail run at the Badger Mountain Challenge!!

My hubby and I are doing the 15k also, even though we will probably only do half of it - lol.

Reactions: NickW and PB Junkie
Well, I did it. Ran 45 miles on my own. For fun. I guess.

Actually, it went well, and in fact was a wonderful day, bringing in the New Year running.

I ran the ‘normal’ 30ish mile route up in Forest Park, on a cold crisp sunny day. Not that many people out, due to everyone staying in and watching football I guess. I was again in my Merrells, though the trails weren’t quite as muddy, due to the ground being frozen, and no rain the past two days. But still the best tool for the job at this point, mainly to keep the feets warm. A minor problem: blisters on the tops of my feet, from the shoes rubbing against them. Not used to that!

That took about 7:30. I returned to my apartment, and didn’t allow myself to sit down at all. I didn’t want to give myself any excuse to stop there. Instead, I changed out my top torso clothing, the two shirts and the shell, which were all wet, though not soaked, and put on another wicking shirt, my old ratty Ibex wool sport sweat shirt, and my Seattle Marathon long-sleeve glow in the dark.

I quickly downed an orange, and heated some lentil soup, though surprisingly wasn’t ravenous, not wanting to run on a full stomach anyways. Oh, also, the one weird thing was that I drank one water bottle less than I have been doing on the 30 Mile route. And by then, water just did not sound good. This happened to me on Burning River too: After a while, water from a running bottle just doesn’t taste good. So I drank a glass in my kitchen, but did refill my Amphipod carrying bottle and one of my belt pack bottles.

In the other belt pack bottle holder, I put my Xero huaraches (thin enough to fold up that way) and a pair of Injinji socks, in case of need of warmth. But I just needed to do some barefoot running. It’d been a couple weeks at least, which for me is unheard of. I wasn’t sure how long I would last, since the temps were still, seemingly, only in the high 30s, and I would be running on into the darkness.

My plan was to simply attach on this other longish run that I do, which is to head down to the river, go upstream to Sellwood Bridge, then back up the other side. I think it’s about 15 miles, usually takes me about 3 and a half hours.

So yes, after running from 8 to almost 4 o’clock, I then set out once again, and I have to say that I looked like a complete dork, with the glow in the dark shirt in still daylight, and also that by then I was running at a bent over shuffle. But, running nonetheless. This has been my experience in longer races, like the two 50 milers that I did, that the body, my body, is still capable of shuffling along, even though sore and in pain and unable to lift the legs very high.

I still in the back of my mind considered the possibility of cutting this section short, and doing the hour and a half route instead, but I stayed with it. Running barefoot felt, good, and re-vitalized me a little, I guess with the sensation of having sensation down there once again. My experience with running barefoot in cold weather back in Michigan says that I can run down into temps a little below freezing for at least short periods of time, most especially if the sidewalks are dry, which they were. I ran maybe five or six miles before I started losing daylight, and the bike path I was one got a little rougher. At that point though, I only put on the Xeros, not the Injinjis, and in fact, just that small separation between the soles and the pavement was enough to warm the feet for the rest of the run.

The one BIG factor at this point, and again, I remember this from Burning River, was the almost overwhelming loneliness. It’s the combination of being exhausted, running in the dark (especially on the deserted Willamette Greenway, away from any buildings or lights) and knowing that most other people were sitting inside, warm, together, watching tv or talking. Running is solitary, which is what I like about it, but THIS was very solitary. So, this was good, a good opportunity to feel it again, to remember that this is going to happen at Badger Mountain. This is where have a pacer will help, just another human nearby. This loneliness was a BIG factor in my DNFing at Burning River.

It got a little better once the Greenway came back up into civilization, and I could see lights and buildings, and downtown Portland in its glory across the river, with all the buildings lit up. And by then I was well past the half-way point for this second route: Not that many miles to go before I sleep.

And I made it home. That whole second route I didn’t walk at all. Didn’t run too fast, but didn’t walk. It was all mostly flat. That part took me about four hours. So, yes, I’d run a total time of eleven and a half hours! And live to tell the tale. That’s about right. The two 50 Milers I finished both at around twelve hours.

The biggest thing I noticed was just how sore my feet felt, both from the rocky paths in Forest Park, and just the overall all day use of my arches. Of course the rest of my body was tired and weary and slow-moving. But, that said, I didn’t rest right then, as I had walk a few blocks to get to a cafe to get online and book a train ticket for Seattle, for the next day. Which I did. And had to get up at six the next morning to get over and catch the train. So didn’t even get a real good night’s sleep, but had enough energy to enjoy walking around Seattle. Moved a little slow, but not to much. My body recovered surprisingly fast.

So, overall a success!

Now, I will take a couple weeks of a more ‘normal’ running schedule before I do another 30/30/45. Though, that said, the next two weekends I will be running FAT ASS 50Ks. In between, shorter runs, hopefully barefoot.

Well done John, my "shuffle" has helped me out more than once in running a marathon or on long training runs. Question though, when I ran hunched over like that due to being tired I found that it was my back that got sore the most. No back pain for you?

Oh hell yeah. Thanks for mentioning that, I keep forgetting. I get this horrible knot in my shoulder/back, on my right side. I try to keep good posture, but I'm still not sure what 'good' posture is for running, as I still experiment with leaning forward versus torso straight up. I try and move my shoulders a lot, and do a standing 'cat/cow' yoga thingy, arching my back, then sticking my chest out. I also just try to breathe, to relax, let the shoulders go limp, but that's difficult when running.

Long-winded answer to say yes, I get some upper back soreness.

I'm still not sure what 'good' posture is for running, as I still experiment with leaning forward versus torso straight up.

Nice running and big effort John, Im getting hungry and sleepy just reading about it! With the torso angle thing, not sure if it helps but I find if I vary the angle I eventually hit a sweet spot where I seem to be able to breathe deeper and more easily into the bottom of my lungs, it's a bit like getting a kink out of a hosepipe. I find it a particularly handy way to calibrate when running uphill, when the oxygen is needed most and when the normal running angle is thrown out by the incline.

Reactions: dutchie53
Badger update:

I've now begun another week of 30/30/45. Today I did the first 30 Miler of the week, in 7:20, which I think is a little quicker than last time, but who knows? So many factors. The weather has been warmer, and therefore Wildwood Trail was a mud pit. I will take tomorrow off, then on Tuesday do it all over again, with the 45 Miler on Thursday. I hope the weather holds. A downpour on Thursday would throw things off, though I suppose I could do it on Friday without too much trouble.

In the past two weeks I've gone back to my more 'normal' schedule, of running every day. In addition, I've done two FAT ASS 50Ks the last to Saturdays, which are great training (see my blog for the write-ups). Having a group of folks running with me helps me boost my pace. My main worry for Badger Mountain at this point is how slow I am: Will I even make the cut off time? I'd rather just come in under 24 hours, but I just don't know how it will go.

Actually, I have plenty of worries. Despite feelings fairly strong on the 50Ks, and despite feeling more in shape than when I attempted Burning River two years ago (almost), I somehow feel doubt that I'm ready for a Hundo. I suppose when I get through this next 45 Miler I'll feel better, but Badger Mountain is now about two months away. I guess that means at least two more 30/30/45s, and I'm signed up for the Hagg Lake 50K in February, so I guess that's a lot! I'd feel better with a 50 Mile race (or two) under my belt, but I searched: in the winter months they're scarce.

Still, good news: I have another team member. Or, I think I've talked him into it, either perhaps pacing me some, or at least being the car driver.

Other worries are unemployment running out (maybe, maybe not), and no good job prospects, that I can find. I know there are ways to train for a Hundo with a full-time job, and if it comes to it, I will. Still, I'm hoping to take advantage of my joblessness by doing Badger Mountain. After that, then I can begin to stress in earnest. Of course, then there's the Born To Run Hundo in May....the madness never ends.

If anyone has any tips or thoughts or suggestions for me at this point, or for race day, they are much appreciated. I'm in unknown territory, which is a good thing, but tips from Those Who Have Gone Before would be nice.

ps-Jen: you're not going to be at Badger Mountain? I was going to try and guilt trip you into being on my team!

Badger update:

ps-Jen: you're not going to be at Badger Mountain? I was going to try and guilt trip you into being on my team!

David and I both signed up for the 15k. But KINKFEST is going on in Portland that weekend and we decided that attending all 3 days of that, and learning how to become kinkIER, is more important than running. ;) I still have plans to convince him otherwise. ;)

I would definitely NOT be a good pacer for you! I only started earnestly running again, last week -for the first time since like October, when I got hit with mono! :eek:

wow John!!
This is intense man.
I'm sorry that we lost you here in MI.
Thanks for the updates and I am looking forward to reading the race report assuming all goes well.
Even if it doesn't I'd still be interested :p

More Badger Mountain Madness Stuff:

Yesterday, Thursday, I completed my second '30/30/45 week' with a full day of running 45 miles. This time I felt stronger and more confident than the first time, though of course it wasn't easy. Still, knowing that I'd done it before helped mentally, and helps me mentally when I think of Badger Mountain: I've run 105 miles in five days. I feel MUCH stronger already going into this Hundo than my last.

Most interesting this time around was my recovery, the amount, and the time. The day after the first 30 miler, thanks to a couple of nice yoga classes (one more about stretching and strength, and one more of a 'yin' recovery class) I felt wonderful, so that on the second 30 miler, I felt at full strength. The day after that though, was a little rougher, and I went into the 45 milers already feeling a bit sore and slow.

Still, I finished all three 30 mile sections scarily within a couple minutes of each other, all around 7:20. It's good to know that even feeling sore and slow, I can maintain a good strong pace.

As before, I ended yesterday's 30 miles section back at my apartment, where I did not let myself sit down at all, but had a filling meal, and changed my shirts. Then I headed out for a 15 miles loop. I actually ran into one of my yoga instructors right then, and she said I looked relaxed and confident, and I have to say I felt it. I knew it would be hard, but I also knew, “I can do this.”

For the 30 mile section I again wore my Merrell Trail Gloves. For the 15 miler, I switched to barefoot for the first 4 or five miles, then slipped on my Xero huaraches for the rest. This time I was not at all lonely. I guess the last time I ran 45 miles, it was new year's day, so everyone was inside. This time there were a plethora of bike commuters on the trail coming back north, plus plenty of runners when I got back into Portland proper. In fact, I think there was a running group meet-up happening.

When I got back, I made a point of stretching for about a half hour before anything else. I've just seen how much yoga classes help my recovery, so I know I know enough to run through some sort of routine at home, and I think it really helped. That said, I was still sore and still. I walked down to the store to buy some blue corn chips as my treat to myself, and I think walking a bit helped to. The worst seem to be to just collapse and not move, especially sitting down in a car or something. I know the temptation is to just collapse after a long run, but I think some soft stretching and use of the muscles really does help recovery for the next day.

Today, the day after, I am still moving a little slow, but I feel pretty good, considering. The main sore areas, during the run, and now, are the groin area and the back left thigh. The groin is a new soreness for me and, sorry to get too detailed, at times during the run I felt like someone was tugging on my left testicle. So yeah, not too pleasant, but it never went quite up into agonizing pain.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get two more 30/30/45 sessions in or not before Badger Mountain. At least one. I have signed up for on more 50K, Hagg Lake, in mid-February. I'm not sure how much, or when, I need to taper before the Hundo at the end of March. I'll be consulting with my trainer/friend Mark about this. But again, I already feel stronger than the last time I tried a Hundo. At the very least, if I just maintain this level, I'll feel good, but I'm thinking even doing one more 30/30/45 will boost me some more.

As always, I welcome any comments, questions, and especially any advice from Those Who Have Gone Before in ultra-running.