Article: Member Profile of the Week - Neil “Neil_D” Donaldson - Lots of Pain = The Ultimate Gain

PaulR58

Barefooters
Feb 13, 2011
Neil

I really liked your storyI love the feeling of running and going distances. The farthestI have gone bare foot is about 2-4 miles that was toward the end of fall. Weather is getting nice again hope to go further this seasonI do love running in the wood or on trails best. Roads through rural lands is nice though. I have been running through the winter in shoes, and keeping in shape I have begun to really enjoy the freedom of the run and look forward to this year!

Hi Paul,

It is so much easier putting in the longer distance runs when the weather inspires me to do so. We are now on our way back into winter which is the real test (not as bad as the winters in the USA), the wind, rain and cold.

But then again I would rather be outside than running on a treadmill, I find that too boring.

I would like to tackle a marathon again (I did about 5 in the 1980's) but that would take a lot more training so for now I will be quite happy to just feel more comfortable in races, rather than being self conscious about being barefoot.

The confidence builds up the more races I complete with feet that still look good at the end, there would be nothing worse than pulling out of a race with an injured foot, just think of the ammunition it would give the shoe companies and podiatrists.

So I always take a conservative view when contemplating a new course or a race, push the boundaries gradually.

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. I am an escapee from the UK to the sun as well...

Like you I grew up in England and used to love cross country runs in flat shoes. Never had an injury, would run to the rowing club, row and run back. I did my first barefoot runs on gravel in the winterfor Karate training almost 40 years ago. Now my wife and I live on a barrier island in Florida. Love BFR road and beach it connects me back to that feeling of freedom of running as a teen. I am as we say in the UK an "old git" of 55 now.....

I would appreciate some input on running on sand. When you were beach running did youever getpainon the top of your ankles? Some times I do, it is mildand I suspect it was my folly of running in deep sand to build up stamina and a temptation to run more on the toes. The mild pain is on the inside of the right ankle on the top. What do you suggest? I have dialed back from 10Kmruns to 5Km and alternate doing intervals and non stop. Running every other day to allow recovery time and I keep icing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. More importantly keep up your great BFRexample in OZ..

Thanks

Marc

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon