Any Huaraches Runners out there?

Freerunner

Barefooters
May 8, 2010
I found out about these running slippers after running barefoot for a short time. Thought they seem like a cheap alternative to other minimalist shoes. My barefoot mileage hasn't gone beyond 3 miles yet but I'm working my way up. I think i get more looks wearing these then when I go barefoot. Or as my brother told me u look like u can't afford shoes to run in. But I think they look cool and they work as well as running barefoot. The only issue is they aren't quiet so you will hear quite a bit of flapping, so if your used to the silence of running barefoot these may not be for you. I made them myself from material I bought from a tractor store and some left over shoe laces.

Yes, I have a pair of

Yes, I have a pair of Barefoot Ted huaraches. They've become my default footwear in warm weather.

I've also run in them, when I want to run longer distances than I'm currently able to barefoot (and don't want to wear my VFFs). The longest huarache run I've done so far is 25K.

As you can probably tell, I like my huaraches!

Alan

I haven't worn any, though

I haven't worn any, though would like a pair for those instances when the pavement is really hot or I'm running on a really rough surface (gravel). As a matter of fact, just realized that I'll be running on gravel roads on vacation coming up the end of June. Gonna have to get or make myself a pair. Alan, did you buy yours or make your own?

I want a "girlie-looking"

I want a "girlie-looking" pair. You know, like the hippies used to wear. They tie up really high. Maybe in pink. ;-)

I bought a kit last year from

I bought a kit last year from Barefoot Ted. In a recent Minimalist list thread, Barefoot Ted mentioned he runs in them with his toes at the edge. I thought I had outgrown them like I did the VFFs I also got last year, but maybe I just finally grew into them. I think I'll bring them on my next BF run so I can keep going when my feet start to get sensitive. Maybe I can get used to my toes being on the edge.

ooo, TJ, me too...accept

ooo, TJ, me too...accept red

Thanks Alan, I'll do some looking around for a pair.

I made some a while back and

I made some a while back and wear them pretty much all the time but have yet to run in them. I'm sure I will be doing so soon though as the sidewalks heat up this summer. I'm not looking forward to the noise they will make though.

haha, they pretty loud Cali?

barefoot.zumba.runner

barefoot.zumba.runner said:

I'm not sure, Zumba but I'm thinking they will be.

I just made a pair using the

I just made a pair using the kit that Steven from Invisible Shoes sent me. I have not ran in them yet but after walking around in them, I think they will make a nice alternative to my Teva Proton water shoes I wear when doing hill work with the kids in the stroller or rocky trails.

Going to try them out in the next day or two.

I'm going to try these

I'm going to try these Huaraches later this year in the fall, I went thru the main part of summer barefoot only for running the last 2 years so its time for my annual barefoot only stretch. I wear a pair of stick-on sandals to work on some days and will convert those to Huaraches at the end of summer for fall trail running...looking forward to that.

I made some a couple of days

I made some a couple of days ago from the invisible shoe kit. I just took them out on a 5-miler today. They worked!

I got them because I plan on running a trail race at the end of the month. I went up to the trail a couple of weeks ago and it had truckloads of glass on it. It's a very busy ski resort during the winter - go figure. I can see glass pretty well on asphalt because of the contrast, but in weeds and in grass... not so much.

Can someone give me some hints on how tight they are supposed to be? Do I yank em so tight they hug my arch? Or leave them flapping?

It was smart of you to check

It was smart of you to check out your terrain first, Silly. :glasses:

SillyC wrote:Can someone

SillyC said:
Can someone give me some hints on how tight they are supposed to be? Do I yank em so tight they hug my arch? Or leave them flapping?

Hi Silly (nice to see you here, too :smile: )

No - In my experience so far, don't tighten them at all, leave them kind of loose feeling at first. When you put them on, you should kind of think, "hmmm... could be a little tighter". Then run a little and see how they feel. If they really are too loose, then you tighten them slightly and you really just have to find the perfect tension for you. It'll probably be looser than you would intuitively expect. Well, that was my experience anyway.

But maybe someone else has had a different experience and will mention it.

I had cut my first laces too short, thinking they should be kind of snug. But then I had to start all over with new, longer laces.

How are you lacing them, btw?

I've tried all the ways everyone uses to secure them and really prefer my shock cord / bungee cord style. The drawback is that it tends to cut into my skin when I'm not running or walking, so not so good for general use, though I do get used to it.

Also, I cut mine out more closely to my actual footprint, with very little extra material anywhere, including below the arch. I find that a pretty big improvement in the comfort factor over the more "traditional" form, and it's even closer to BF. They also don't flap around at all.

I make a wet footprint on construction paper and draw around it. When making the print, I push my foot down hard and roll it a bit from side to side and front to back, to make sure that everything that touches while running is covered. I trim away the excess material after running in them. Well, I've done it three times now, so, I'm still learning myself and still looking to get it perfected.

"We are all an experiment of one" :smile:

I've made a pair, but I can't

I've made a pair, but I can't seem to get them adjusted correctly. They slide forward when I lift my foot, and if I make them tighter, they are uncomfortable. I made them out of leather though. Maybe I should try shoe laces for the strap.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7