Any Huaraches Runners out there?

I used the traditional lacing

I used the traditional lacing system.

The slapping sound bothered me so much after ~8 months of running silently, so I tightened them up as tight as they would go. They stopped slapping, and they worked fine that way. I'll give them a try loose later. Maybe I'll experiment with the slip-on style, too.

No and have no interest.   I

No and have no interest. I will leave the huaraches with the Tarahumara where they belong, no matter how hard us Americans try, we will never figure out the true art form of making proper huaraches. The invisible shoe has a great concept, but honestly I would love to see someone run a marathon with that type of homemade shoe, you would throw those things off your feet in about mile 5, or less in frustration. Go barefoot. I could see them being useful for walking or hiking.

I am trying to find the interview video of this guy who just ran the boston marathon barefoot, and at the end he had on these modified flip flops that were super flimsy, I need a pair of those just for casual wear. TJ, I think you posted that video on the other forum if i am not mistaken?

I don't recall posting a

I don't recall posting a video on that OTHER forum. Hee. Can you search for it and share here?

adam james wrote:but honestly

adam james said:
but honestly I would love to see someone run a marathon with that type of homemade shoe, you would throw those things off your feet in about mile 5, or less in frustration.

well, I've gone a half so far, on rocky hilly terrain that I can't run barefoot on. No problems whatsoever. Zero. In fact, it was FUN and felt great. And I've got any number of runs in the 8-9 mile range on them already, too. Was on some sticky mud the other day and although it felt like the sandals would be sucked off the bottom of my feet, they hung in there and performed well.

I don't like roads in general, I like the woods, but I can't BF on the rough stuff yet, so I wear my super cool flip flops. When I am on pavement, though, I remove them. It's only been two months but so far, it's just been super.

I'm going to chime in and say

I'm going to chime in and say that I think the huaraches would be fine for high-mileage.

I'm hating on pretty much all footwear these days, and after a 5-miler in the huaraches, I was definitely not looking to throw them off. These are probably the least annoying footwear I have worn since going barefoot.

But the beauty is, Adam James.... they are so light that if you wanted to ditch them at mile 7, you totally could tie them around your waist and finish the run barefoot.

The big down side is how ludicrous they look. But they run really well!

SillyC wrote:The big down

SillyC said:
The big down side is how ludicrous they look. But they run really well!

lol, well, mine are virtually invisible, so, maybe if someone falls down in front of me and I leap over them they may notice something under my foot. But other than that, there's not much to see.

I found that link.    TJ, you

I found that link. TJ, you didn't post it I got from barefoot Ted's website, way off on that one!

Anyways his name is Julian Romero and he is a really fast barefoot marathoner. In this interview he shows off his homemade flip flops. I wish you can hear more clearly what he used for the soles, that part got cut off.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-427321

I've run up to 25K in my

I've run up to 25K in my Barefoot Ted huaraches, and would be comfortable running longer distances in them. I haven't seen the Invisible Shoe huaraches except in photos, but suspect that the BFT ones are better-suited to running.

My BFT huaraches currently have the 4mm soles, but I've just ordered a sheet of 6mm cherry nubby material from BFT, and will re-do my huaraches for running a couple of trail ultras later in the season.

Alan

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts